Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Default trapping by the book (humor)

Just for fun....
A funny analogy of how trapping education improves the catch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MGBEbo1gmA
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 PM
Gone Hunting

reminds me of the time a Beaver trapped my pa.
He was not amused!

Dang beaver pulled out dad's trap without springing it and dropped it on the dam, on the far side of a breach dad had made in the dam.

Dad went to check to see if he had caught anything, not seeing his trap where he had left it, and not seeing any sign of it in the water or on land, he jumped across the breach to look there, landing both feet in the still set trap.

It took him hours and hours to get that 330 off his feet.

Beaver one, dad zero.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Yeow! Can't imagine the predicament of a 330 on both legs or any other part of the body. It must have taken some gumption for your Dad to release himself. I can imagine that a few trappers have been bit and didn't get out over the years.

I'm just glad trappers can't use number 6 Newhouse bear traps anymore or hiking in the bush would be a little more interesting.
I've mentioned before that when I was a kid my uncle showed my Dad and me a No.6 Newhouse bear trap with teeth. My uncle and his hunting partner found it around 1960 while moose hunting somewhere along the Pembina west of Edmonton. The memory still gives me the hebee gebees. The No.6 had a moss covered work boot with a leg bone sticking out...caught firmly between the jaws. I guess police looked at it and decided it was a fellow missing from a logging camp a couple of decades earlier. My uncle passed 45 years ago and I think his partner had it after that. But his hunting partner would be long gone now too. I often wondered what happened to the trap with the boot and leg.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets