Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Okotokian

Default Chain Lakes... the south one

I know it's confusing but I'm talking about the Chain Lakes south of Longview. I've often gone there with my sons, done some fishing off the shore at the very north end. (the rock dam-like structure) We do catch fish, but were less frequent last year, and have always been pretty puny (never caught one I thought worth taking home). Has anyone found a good place to fish from shore there that might be better?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 PM
dodger

It is a stocked lake with lots of fishing pressure. Every once in a while someone pulls out a bigger Trout. Consider it a good lake for the kids. Always consistent with little Trout.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 AM
lethalconnection

Lots and lots and lots and lots of little trout very few bigger ones in there cause it is a stalked lake, but ive found that the south dam tends to be better for number of fish to be caught but if your lookin for big fish i suggest on not going there, if your looking for lots of fish go there.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Timbulb

I like catching the big suckerfish. They can get huge in Chain. In my mind the sucker is coming back as a gamefish.

Anybody got some tips for catching them more often?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 PM
jrs

If you want to catch suckers there go in the summer with a pickeral rig and can of worms. Use size 10-12 hooks and a nice wriggling morsel. throw it out about 20 yards just about anywhere. Set it tight and just wait. I remember fishing for them there when i was a kid. I still will target suckers, i like nymphing for them up on Crowsnest Lake (Upper Kananskis was awesome when i tryed up there). Nothing like a 2-3 pound sucker on a flyrod (well, like a 3lb brown or whitefish i suppose). On the Oldman we've caught a few that were close to 5 pounds while fishing for mooneye. Allison Lake they will take dry's often enough as well. (kind of funny). Littlebow river has tons of them, they'll hit pike spoons and average about 2lbs, biggest usually around 4.5lbs. I am not ashamed to fish suckers for at least a few days each summer. I ahve caught some large walleye incidentally giving it a try (usually midday when nothing else was biting).
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 AM
lethalconnection

I was there last weekend and i targeted suckers with a worm on bottom and i didnt have a bite all day. Which i found to be really odd especailly for there.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 PM
jrs

I don't recall ever catching them throught the ice myself, i've seen them in shallow bays fishing for pike but never actually had one hit. Bound to happen someday.