Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Lightbulb Careland wier

Just hoping that some one could give me a few pointers to start out fishing the Careland wier. I have been done there once before and had no luck. I am taking out a buddy which is new to fishing and i would like not to get skunked so he may start to be more of a full time fishermen. I have a fly rod but i still suck at it but getting better, so most of the fishing will be by spinner rod. colors for fall and maybe some hooks to use thank you in advance.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Wier

The easiest place to catch a fish or at least it is a place where I can't recall not getting one is downstream of the wier and just upstream of the campground. There is an island thru there that is accessible from the campground side where the seams and slots are very obvious. As for spinners I would use gold mepps with with black blades with orange spots I would cast it across the seam let it sink a couple of second and retrieve it straight back. Then cast again and this time let it swing around thru the seam into the quiet water then reel straight back up to you. Take two steps downstream and do it all over again.

Don't forget to post your results.
Good Luck
Old 09-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Try an orange black len thompson #8
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Do you mostly catch rainbows in that area? Any of a nice size?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM

Thumbs down calgary weather

Well thank you for all the info my buddy was scared about the rain yesterday so we decided not to go to the wier. I was going to be a night in but it turned out really nice and we ended up at dewits pond. A couple where rising but with n0 luck. I think you need to be there closer to the May long release of fish. Hope to go down to the wier soon. Wife is gone for a week fishing or hunting as many days as i can. Good luck this fall to all!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 AM

Default weir

i fish above the weir and have good luck throwing sinking rapalas and spinners in copper color and the rainbow and sucker colors for the rapalas there is a good hole right infront of the boat launch and just up steam from the launch hope this helps good luck i will be heading out there on sunday to try my luck hope its nice out
Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Unhappy no luck

well i bought new lures and the fish where jumping like mad. But just my luck nothing. I went down to the island for couple hours then to above the wier. but just would not bite at anything. should have brought the fly rod. thanks for the info i must try again.

good luck to all