Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2023, 05:26 PM

Default electric hunting bike

Just wondering how many hunters on here use electric bikes for hunting. Brands, capabilities, motors, batteries, etc. BEL
Old 05-17-2023, 10:18 AM

Me too.....??

I am just starting to look; I see lots of people riding them on the nice smooth street but will they withstand the uneven ground, pounding it around or load capacity, cost for a good one?

I am usually day trips so recharging would be when I returned home. I have no idea how long a "one-day" charge would last? Does cold temperature affect performance?

Maybe Bow Cycle to start?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-17-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:28 AM

I thought about it but they would be hard to charge in our hunting camps, we don't have a generator.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM

Default research

Lots of research to do first before investing 7 grand. The Mule and Quietcat seem to be pretty tough. BEL
Old 05-17-2023, 10:52 AM

They run so quiet I'd worry about them being banned for hunting, that's a big investment to make that could easily just be made useless for hunting.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:29 AM

I run a quietkat warrior with a 250 lb capacity two wheel trailer I can get an elk out in 2 trips if alone. Elk and deer usually just stand and watch as I drive by but when you stop they get restless. I would like to try the Mule out to see the difference. There is now a Bakcou dealer in Brooks.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
They run so quiet I'd worry about them being banned for hunting, that's a big investment to make that could easily just be made useless for hunting.
Probably should be banned.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I thought about it but they would be hard to charge in our hunting camps, we don't have a generator.
They do have a solar charging kit:
https://quietkat.com/en-ca/products/...n?ref=yotpo_94
Old 05-18-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I've been looking at the different ones as well for the last few months, and like others feel limited to range while out in camp with no generator for recharging.

Then I ran across these: https://rocksolar.ca/collections/sol...-system?page=1

I would think that solar bank to a lithium battery would replenish the charge ready for you to return to camp and charge up the bike, but does add to the cost of the bike.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:03 PM

Seems like there is some confusion on these bikes.From reading the regs they are classified as a OHV? I thought there was a less then 500w rule? Just curious what I am missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
Seems like there is some confusion on these bikes.From reading the regs they are classified as a OHV? I thought there was a less then 500w rule? Just curious what I am missing

You need to go in to the traffic safety act, it’s a little confusing as you’re looking for the definition of a power assist bicycle, and it will direct you the federal vehicle safety regulation where the definition of a power assist bicycle has been repealed, that’s where it used to say 500 watts and less. A power assist bicycle is not considered a motorized vehicle. Fish and wildlife is following that 500 watts for now but will be looking for the new definition which will then become part of the TSA. The hunting regulations are just a synopsis, if you look at the wildlife act and wildlife regulation, oh definitions tie back to the TSA. An interesting thing is that a farm tractor is considered a motor vehicle in the Wildlife act so you can’t shoot from one, but in the TSA and associated refs they’re considered implements of husbandry and not a motor vehicle. That’s why they don’t need registration when driven on roads.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:04 PM

Default OHV definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post

We were out May long weekend with OHV ban. The RCMP came by and had no problem with us riding e-bikes.
Rick
Old 06-01-2023, 01:48 PM

I am surprised at the inadvertent use of motor vs engine in the legislation. A motor is generally powered by electricity and an engine by combustion. Always thought a 'motor'cycle was odd terminology.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:14 PM

Interesting that I came across a rebate for these e-bikes as well. Upto $1400.

This is in BC, but may also be rebates in Alberta?
Old 06-02-2023, 09:06 AM

You can look up via google Electric bike rebates across Canada. Not many times I agree with what BC is doing but they offer different rebate programs, and also making the purchase of an ebike tax exempt if certain qualifications are met.
Alberta is woefully behind in the rebate program it offers for Ebikes.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:02 AM

Yup, Alberta is behind in the EV rebates as well... I was looking into an EV just because of the amount of city commuting that I was doing at the time, and with the rebates being offered in Ontario, it made an electric VW (base model compact) comparable to the gasser that I was driving at the time. I wished the same incentives were available here.

Of course, not an option for me now, have a completely different driving pattern for my current job.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
You can look up via google Electric bike rebates across Canada. Not many times I agree with what BC is doing but they offer different rebate programs, and also making the purchase of an ebike tax exempt if certain qualifications are met.
Alberta is woefully behind in the rebate program it offers for Ebikes.
I have to ask, why should the government rebate anything? Take from one tax payer and give to someone else. Tired of the social engineering.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have to ask, why should the government rebate anything? Take from one tax payer and give to someone else. Tired of the social engineering.
X2 and that goes for no licensing or insurance required as well.

Bit of an aside, son took me to super bike store yesterday that includes a multitude of E bikes, in the country just East of Linden. Not promoting the place, but no need to go to the big city. Cal's cycle.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-02-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Interesting that I came across a rebate for these e-bikes as well. Upto $1400.

This is in BC, but may also be rebates in Alberta?

https://bcebikerebates.ca/myrebate/

Rebate is scaled to income. If your Net Income is $51,131 or over your rebate is $350. The purchase price of the bike before taxes must be minimum $2,000.

The town of Banff offers a rebate for residents: https://banff.ca/701/Residential-Rebates

E-bike

Buy when you are ready. There is no funding limit or deadline
Receipts must be dated January 16, 2023 or later
Bikes must have operable pedals. Max power = 500 W
Used or refurbished e-bikes are not eligible, regardless of origin
Bicycles with a pre-tax purchase price over $5,000 are not eligible. Exceptions may be granted to residents with special needs, at the Town’s discretion.
Banff Resident: Lesser of 50% or $500
Banff Access Tier 2: Lesser of 50% or $750
Banff Access Tier 1: Lesser of 50% or $1000

Last edited by CNP; 06-02-2023 at 12:36 PM.