Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If people really knew how much, or maybe I should say how little power is required to cleanly harvest an animal I’m sure recoil would be way less of an issue.

You hear people say I don’t like the animal to run, I like bang flop. Truth of the matter is, only a spine shot will result in a bang flop, cartridge has little to do with it provided you are within range of proper penatration. I watched an elk get hit in the arse, then hit in the boiler room, then finally hit in the shoulder/spine before finally dropping this fall, the guy was using a 300win mag. The spine shot was the bang flop. My son shot his deer in the neck with a 270win, bang flop. My buddy shot a mule deer 3 times in the boiler room, then once in the antler because he thought he was hitting low, deer finally layed down and died about 10 seconds after the shooting was done, same guy, same gun, close to the exact same distance shot a whitetail and it disappeared before he could open his eyes from the recoil of the shot, bang flop, shot it in the shoulder/spine.

Recoil sucks, but in a Hunting rifle it’s not going to kill you. Buying a scope with generous eye relief will help prevent you from getting scoped, but also realizing your shooting capabilities and matching them with a suitable cartridge is a good idea as well.

I’m positive there isn’t an animal in Alberta you can hunt that requires a magnum rifle 300yds and under, and I don’t think 90% of hunters have any business shooting any further than that.
I have killed Elk,Moose,and Deer with Calibers from 270-300 wby.

Many of them have dropped in their tracks from a lung shot.Yes the spine shot drops them but often they are not dead and you waste meat.