Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 09:36 AM

Default South Ram River

Hit the South Ram yesterday after camping close by Friday night. I have never seen so many people in this country before. I usually have my camping spot and the main stem to myself, but not this year. There are trailers and quads everywhere camping on any available spot of crown land. Plus a lot of people on the river. Needless to say, I only caught one fish which is way below my 20+ fish days I have always have. People are saying its because of Covid and they are doing the staycation thing. Crazy numbers of people in the area.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Yep, noticed the same thing last weekend. Probably tripled what I normally see.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:28 AM

Pretty much gave up on the ram, north ram and blackstone this year because of the hordes of people out there. no hockey, football, no concerts and events, nobody vacationing out of province, RV sales thru the roof and they're all going out in the hills to camp. Was out to the North ram last weekend, gong show, going to wait till the kids go back to school and cooler weather might thin them out a bit maybe.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:35 AM

Default South ram

School happening soon, hunting season coming up. Should be better for some fall fishing. Fingers crossed. Was at the Blackstone a couple weeks ago, and there were people everywhere.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Strangely enough though, the boondockers with their big trailers and RV's don't want to spend the 26 bucks it takes to reserve a spot at a PRA. I've been virtually alone in the one I camp in all summer.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:54 PM

I've noticed a Facebook page that is dedicated to a certain river in Alberta. I find that these kinds of things can bring more people to rivers also. The pressure on this specific river has certainly increased due to lots of pics of nice fish being caught.

Last edited by orvisman; 08-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvisman View Post
I've noticed a Facebook page that is dedicated to a certain river in Alberta. I find that these kinds of things can bring more people to rivers also. The pressure on this specific river has certainly increased due to lots of pics of nice fish being caught.
Sounds like every river down south here, it’s terrible. Just keep trying different water, fishing usually isn’t great but at least get away from the crowds
Old 08-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Default fakebook

I never bring facebook look at me types to my favourite remote fishing/hunting/camping spots. They post pics, tell one best bud,
doesn’t take much and give it a couple years, game over. Go alone or
only bring people that will never post your sanctuary.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Fish Cop I spke with said he never gave out so many tickets than this year. People out without a clue. Sad and hard on the streams.