Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Default What's everyone's cold weather hunting gloves?

Iv been playing with ideas for my girlfriend's Christmas present and today I was noticing that her current hunting gloves are nothing to write home about.
She loves coyote hunting with me but has poor circulation and gets cold fingers and toes extremely quick. I get away with just deer hide insulated work gloves but I feel she will need something a bit better.
What's everyones choice for a good quality winter hunting glove?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-24-2020, 09:50 AM

Hands down the best of the best. If anybody has a different recommendation then they probably haven’t tried these yet.

Hestra
ARMY LEATHER HELI SKI GTX + GORE GRIP TECHNOLOGY

You can get a couple different liners and switch them out as needed I like the wool liners but have had both types the fleese is so soft and warm. But the wool is warm even when it’s damp. I also have the army three finger versions and they are nice. The warmest will be the army or heli mitt but they don’t have the goretex the one mentioned above is hands down the best in my opinion because the goretex and the 5 fingers. You have dexterity, warmth, water repelancy and interchangeable liners.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

You mean mitts?
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You mean mitts?
X2
Old 11-24-2020, 10:32 AM

I've tried probably 8 different pairs of gloves and mitts.
The mitts don't last long cuz you need to take them off to shoot.
The gloves don't last long cuz you still get cold.
I've found "glomitts" or "trigger mitts" work the best.
Eddie bauer made a set and they are warm - they held up this season when it got around -20 sitting down a cut line for 8 hours. They ran me about $200 a few years ago.
I think kuiu makes a version too.
They even have a comfy nose wipe on the back of the thumb.... something I never thought I'd appreciate
Old 11-24-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You mean mitts?
Need gloves to be able to run a bolt gun and coyote call

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM

I wear the sitka blizzard mitt on my left hand and the incinerator mitt with finger slit, on my right hand, works for me in cold temps.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Banned

x2 incinerator mitts
incinerator muff with hot pockets works good too

Mitts are warmer than gloves
still easy to run the foxpro remote with mitts on
Old 11-24-2020, 12:56 PM

My level 1 setup is a pair of thin leather gloves similar to golf gloves. The right hand (my trigger hand) is fingerless. I'll wear this even on a warm November day. When it get colder I still wear these gloves but I'll add a layer.

For extended sits in cold weather, I wear a muff similar to what you see quarterbacks wear. Toss a handwarmer inside if necessary. When the coyote/deer comes into range I take my hand out of the muff. The thin leather glove provides a bit of insulation as I prepare to take the shot.

For still hunting when it gets too cold for gloves, I go with mittens. If an opportunity presents itself I bite down on the end of the mitt to pull it off. I only remove the mitt that I'm wearing on the 'trigger hand' (I still have the thin leather glove on). Takes a spit second to pull the mitt off.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:44 PM

Have switched over to a muff and heat packs--toasty and ready to shoot in a sec.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Skre

SKRE Canada makes some sick glasses
Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 PM

Anyone try electric heated gloves?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 06:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Light thinsulate gloves under Arctic mitts covered in a pair of heavy socks if sitting....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-25-2020, 06:38 AM

"Deerskin" leather mitts with that fluffy liner for me.

Only rarely do I need a chemical heat pad in there.

Personally I find mitts better than gloves for keeping my hands warm.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Have switched over to a muff and heat packs--toasty and ready to shoot in a sec.
X 2 ....

I'll wear the heat pack in both mitts and gloves..... My hands are inside more than the minute outside...

Good thread, once your finger(s) have been frozen, the "keeping them warm", is a life long continuous task.....Unfortunately my trigger finger was the one that froze.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:29 AM

If I must have gloves, I resort to thin goretex gloves with chemical hand warmers.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Anyone try electric heated gloves?

I bought a pair of insulated liners a few years ago from "power in motion" located in calgary. They were a bit pricey, but not a word of a lie it can be -40 and I can get through an entire work day (working outside all the time) with just a quick charge to top up the batterie pack at lunch time without getting cold fingers even for 5 minutes. They are amazing. I used them for hunting this fall and they made cold hands while sitting a non issue. You can wear a reasonably thin glove with them and be able to easily feel and pull the trigger without removing any glove layer.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:47 PM

I bought a muff this year, should have bought one years ago, I hunted last week in the -12/-24 weather. Mornings were a cold start. I have to say, I threw in a hand warmer in the muff and I had a thin glove on my bow hand and a bare hand for my release. It was great. It has become a necessity in the pack for cold weather hunting especially from tree stand.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
I bought a pair of insulated liners a few years ago from "power in motion" located in calgary. They were a bit pricey, but not a word of a lie it can be -40 and I can get through an entire work day (working outside all the time) with just a quick charge to top up the batterie pack at lunch time without getting cold fingers even for 5 minutes. They are amazing. I used them for hunting this fall and they made cold hands while sitting a non issue. You can wear a reasonably thin glove with them and be able to easily feel and pull the trigger without removing any glove layer.
Actually, that is the brand I am looking at. Thanks for your input. They came out with a thicker waterproof hunting version and with customer feedback, went back to the drawing board. I'm looking forward to version 2.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:11 PM

I prefer the leather mitts with wool liners. Take them off to shoot or do other fine manipulation with your fingers, and your hands warm up quick as soon as there back in the mitts. Can buy the mitts and liners at Peavey Mart for about $50. I had a premature discharge shooting with gloves once and haven't shot with them since.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-26-2020, 08:25 PM

I got the grizzly 2.0 mitts from first lite for a screaming deal from a fellow AO member and they have been great.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
Actually, that is the brand I am looking at. Thanks for your input. They came out with a thicker waterproof hunting version and with customer feedback, went back to the drawing board. I'm looking forward to version 2.

I would be very interested in those as well. I would also give power in motion an "A" for customer support, I had an issue with the product at one point and they were 100% behind it and got me sorted out asap.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:09 PM

I run Canada goose down mitts.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:30 PM

I have the Grizzly 2.0 from First Lite. They are decent. I really like the wrist gauntlet. But they are maybe a bit noisy for still hunting and I would definitely prefer a full mitt over the lobster style mitt. I usually pinch the glove/mitt between my knees for a quick shot and it’s always worked. I would recommend but they ain’t cheap.

Personally a leather mitt with a removable liner is my preference.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:32 PM

wHY IS IT THAT NO ONE MENTIONS FLIP MITTS"????

There are a number of brands, Cabella's has a good set, but make sure to get the biggest size so you can slip in a hand warmer.

The beauty of flip mitts is that you slip your fingers out of the mitt portion, and have bare finger control for calls, shooting, etc, and then back over your fingers again.

If you are an ice fisherman who has to re bait with maggots for perch fishing, you will quickly see the benefit of flip mitts. As for hunting, bare fingers for trigger control are the solution you are seeking with maximum warmth.

Drewski
Old 11-27-2020, 07:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Some mentioned many types of gloves/mitts etc but remember it's the not moving or working we are talking about its the 3 plus hours of sitting that the cold soaks in...so layers of quality material is the only way unless you have another heat source in addition with what you have on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-28-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Hands down the best of the best. If anybody has a different recommendation then they probably haven’t tried these yet.

Hestra
ARMY LEATHER HELI SKI GTX + GORE GRIP TECHNOLOGY

You can get a couple different liners and switch them out as needed I like the wool liners but have had both types the fleese is so soft and warm. But the wool is warm even when it’s damp. I also have the army three finger versions and they are nice. The warmest will be the army or heli mitt but they don’t have the goretex the one mentioned above is hands down the best in my opinion because the goretex and the 5 fingers. You have dexterity, warmth, water repelancy and interchangeable liners.
X2