Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2020, 11:02 PM

Default Cool Elk Experience and my Sons First Archery Harvest

To Preface this, This is my fifth year hunting, and 3 year bow hunting. My son who turned 12 this year, has been coming with me since day one. He has accompanied me on archery (and gun) hunts for WT sitting in tree stands, to chasing muleys in the valleys, to even calling Elk. He has loved it from day one. And his only wish was that he could finally be hunting

This year when he turned 12 he took his hunters training course and passed the course and he was legal to hunt. I don't know many 12 years olds who are as in to hunting as he is but its seems to be all he watches on ipads is hunting. Specifically archery. He has put in a lot of time with his bow and he really wanted to try and harvest a whitetail with his bow. He has been shooting for 3 years, has used it to harvest lots of small game, and he shoots the legal poundage but no matter how good a shot he was, 20 was his absolute max.

Well this past Friday the kids had no school so on Thursday night him and I and a friend went Elk hunting to a special spot we have permission on. Him and I went down near the river and were calling. As it was getting low light we hadn't seen or heard anything. There was a beaver that kept smacking the pond in front of us and he wanted to take care of, but I said we were there for elk not beavers. With the end of the night basically there, only a few minutes left, we did one last series of cow calls, and we did a lot. And a few different kinds. Just as we were packing up, he said dad, dad, there he is. And there across the pond at 52 yards stood the most magnificent thing I have ever seen, a 6x6 elk. It feels like I have waited my whole life for moment like this. But its dark and the way he has stepped out, facing front on, I can't say for sure if he is big or not. So I bring up my binos. Yup, giant Bull. My son says, dad he is 52 yards as he ranges him. Shoot him. The problem is I am hidden behind a tree but my son is standing out in the open an our wind is going straight to him. We didn't expect to see him from there. Now that I know what I am looking at I can see him more clearly, so I dial my pin to 52, and decide IM going to got to full draw and wait for him to turn broad side. Just as I get to full draw he runs through some trees into a pasture and stands there at 94 yards. We can see him clear as can be now, but he is too far and we are on the edge of the pond. and we have 3 minutes. We cant go a towards him no matter what. So we start calling. And buggling. And for over 10 minutes we keep him within that 100-150 range but he just won't come closer. He then begins to circle around so we decide the back out as quick as possible. It was the most incredible night of elk hunting. We had waited so long to finally SEE a bull. years. Great experience together.

Fast forward to 5am the next morning and I go to his room and wake him up and say, do you want to go for Whitetails in the tree stand this morning, and no hums and has, and says ya sure. So we go and get setup in the treestand 20 before legal. About 10 minutes after legal I say to him, I think I see a buck coming. 10 or 15 minutes pass and then the buck pops out at 40. He proceeds to walk right past us to a spot my son had ranged at 17 yards, so he split his 15 and 20 yard pin and made the shot. The deer dropped, spun around, then limped off into the field and after a while it kind of crashed.

we waited an hour before going down to look for the arrow and blood but we knew it wasn't a passthrough. within a few feet we found blood, and it was really good blood. WE started following it and it just didn't stop. less then a 100 yards in as I was following the trail, I saw it. So I backed away and let him have his moment of finding it. I got my phone out to document it for him. It was pretty incredible. He had done it and made a perfect heart shot.

All of the time and effort he had put into this had paid off. And pretty quickly really. Lots of guys wait years to get a WT buck with their bow, I should know!

Here are a few pics. Hope you enjoyed the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62394718860__FEDBE988-FBC2-42F0-9436-2CF7E5CDFBC3.JPG (193.3 KB, 644 views)
File Type: jpg 62394722583__F2FF8A43-E41A-45AB-9140-A5253559BC95.JPG (164.4 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0765.jpg (193.3 KB, 872 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0762.jpg (96.7 KB, 713 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 PM

That’s pretty awesome, man! Congrats to the kid and the dad!

Seeing the first elk is an amazing experience. Good luck on the elk hunt!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:32 AM

Fantastic, well done & what a great shot by your son! Memories he'll have forever.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:45 AM
Banned

Great job guys!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:50 AM

Don't expect life to get any better than that. Memories that will last forever. CONGRATS to both of you on accomplishing what many only dream of.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:04 AM

Well that's a weekend you'll never forget! Congrats to you both!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 AM

That is an excellent adventure with a fantastic end.......congrats and thanks for posting.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:13 AM

Awesome 👌
Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Cool experiance

Congrats to you both. That young fellow I’ll remember that day for the rest of his life. I still remember everything about how I got my first deer and that was 46 years ago.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:26 AM
Banned

Absolutely awesome, the young lad is off to a great start!!!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:02 AM

That is terrific! These are the very best threads!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

proud dad and cant wipe the grin of the young fella's face...awesome!!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-13-2020, 09:13 AM

That is quite the experience! Congratulations to you and your son.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:21 AM

What a happy little man you have there....very cool and I love that smile, I can well imagine what I felt like at that age out hunting with my dad...man I miss those days. Congrats all round..you did good!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-13-2020, 10:05 AM

This is the kind of stuff makes this forum awesome.
Congrats.
Great memories!
Old 10-13-2020, 10:18 AM

That is so cool. You both must be so proud.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 AM

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it and will show him.

Something to note was this summer were talking about having more permissions close to home and I told him “it’s your turn”. So he hopped on his Dirt bike and went for a long ride and had to go and talk to the farmers and ask for permission. At 12 years old, it’s not an easy task, but I wanted him learn the valuable lesson of actually talking to adults (not texting or whatever) and also what it’s like to get a “no”. The people he talked to were all quite nice and on this particular property the land owner didn’t give permissions, but he was impressed by the effort my son put out and said yes, but sent him with a note to For me to call him. Turns out I know the farmer and we got the go ahead.

So for my son, he got his first deer on land that HE got the permission on by cold calling. Another lesson that will last him a lifetime.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it and will show him.

Something to note was this summer were talking about having more permissions close to home and I told him “it’s your turn”. So he hopped on his Dirt bike and went for a long ride and had to go and talk to the farmers and ask for permission. At 12 years old, it’s not an easy task, but I wanted him learn the valuable lesson of actually talking to adults (not texting or whatever) and also what it’s like to get a “no”. The people he talked to were all quite nice and on this particular property the land owner didn’t give permissions, but he was impressed by the effort my son put out and said yes, but sent him with a note to For me to call him. Turns out I know the farmer and we got the go ahead.

So for my son, he got his first deer on land that HE got the permission on by cold calling. Another lesson that will last him a lifetime.
you are hitting it out of the park here. Very well done Dad!
Old 10-13-2020, 10:56 AM

What a fantastic story. Congrats to your son on his first buck and congrats to you for raising him right. I loved the story. Best of luck to you both the rest of the season. Now to get my 12 year old son his first buck... hopefully soon.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:00 AM

Wow what an amazing experience. Good job!
Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM

Default Two Thumbs UP

So cool. and with a bow to boot, u guys rock.

I remember shooting my first deer with my dad, cannot wait to keep the tradition alive. A few years wait yet for my oldest.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Excellent adventure. Well done you guys
Old 10-13-2020, 05:42 PM

Best hunting story of the year so far! That smile on your son's face is worth all that goes in to being a parent. Great job dad, and a great trophy for your son. Kudos to both of you.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-13-2020, 07:08 PM

Smile says it all. Congrats!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:17 PM

Fantastic story! Big congratulations to your son 👍🏼👍🏼
Bluedog
Old 10-13-2020, 10:50 PM

Way to go dad and huge congrats to your son. He will never forget this experience. Nothing better then seeing your kids out it together. Bet you still can’t wipe that smile off his face 😀
Old 10-13-2020, 11:14 PM

Awesome stories, thank you for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 11:38 PM

nice buck . Congrats . Good job Dad
Old 10-25-2020, 08:55 PM

Way to go!! Great whiteail, congrats to you both
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 PM

Great write up and congrats.