Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 09:13 PM

got my mule buck on Nov 1st stillhunting an empty cattle pasture in the mid day heat and got my WT buck on Nov 12, spot and stalk on him and a bedded doe before last light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020 MD.jpg (118.2 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 2020 WT.jpg (46.6 KB, 744 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods boy View Post
got my mule buck on Nov 1st stillhunting an empty cattle pasture in the mid day heat and got my WT buck on Nov 12, spot and stalk on him and a bedded doe before last light.

Those are a couple of beauties! Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
NAP FOC (Freaking Outrageous Cut) 3 inch cutting diameter. It broke through the ribs on the other side. This doe ran 400 yards with a 3 inch cut through it. 55 yard shot.
Good lord, that defies all logic.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
very well done!!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2020, 07:08 PM

Default 2020 Rifle Harvest Thread

IMG_1922.jpg
I had a pretty good season this year. Me and a buddy did a canoe hunt on the athabasca in October and each got a doe. Then I took my brother in law out and he got his first deer ever. Then my 16 year old daughter wanted to take up hunting this year so took her out last Wednesday for a sit in the ground blind. One perfectly placed shot from the savage 99 .308 and her first deer was down. Then yesterday morning I got my best buck yet. And I also got some moose meat from a friend for helping butcher his moose. Happy hunting people.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:09 PM

Old 11-15-2020, 07:10 PM

Old 11-15-2020, 07:11 PM

Old 11-15-2020, 08:10 PM

Old 11-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Some terrific animals hitting the ground this year!

This year was a special one for me as both my boys folded their tags on their first deer.

Yesterday my youngest shot a huge doe on a friend's farm. I sat in the blind with him for the morning, then spent the afternoon hours still hunting and checking cameras.

I had bumped several deer - they didn’t look too panicked. While they provided me with shot opportunities, I was after something bigger, and I wasn't comfortable with the small margin of error. Plus this was likely my last chance to take this boy out this year, so i wasn't in a rush - my priority was for him to get onto a deer.

In the mid-afternoon I heard a shot from the blind. I called him a few minutes later to confirm: Doe down!

I went back to the farmhouse to shuck my camo gear and get the machine and met him in the field. In my excitement I forgot my phone, and his phone died while I was trying to take photos, so this is the best I can offer:

He had a couple of does coming towards him, and he had used the Primos can to call to them. Interestingly, they picked up the pace and headed right towards the blind. Then they turned to enter another patch of bush. A couple of “mehs” later, the doe gave him a perfect shot opportunity. His practice with the .270 paid off, and she dropped thirty yards later.

He cooked up the tenderloins as soon as we had the deer hung up.

Now the boys can get to work cutting her up. So glad that I don’t have to do this alone anymore!

So proud of those kids.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 11-16-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:25 PM

Whoop! Thankfully my son was able to get a picture before his phone quit.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Looks like a helluva season!
Old 11-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Banned

My boy got a nice buck this morning

Old 11-17-2020, 07:28 PM

Got one Saturday evening with the boy. He was pumped, hiked a lot of K,s in deep snow. I’m glad it paid off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F297D6B8-8DC2-414E-9132-62EDD200190E.jpg (15.3 KB, 319 views)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Well, finally figured out how to post pictures via Tapatalk...Lol
Give me a break I’m getting old, so I’ll post a couple pictures of this years season so far...

My moose from Early season September:

And my boys first Deer from Nov 1st write up earlier in this post:

It’s been a awesome season so far, and I have to thank my son for basically getting back into hunting after not really doing much over the last 6 or 8 years, but we are really enjoying the time together now that he is hunting with me.
Also a big thanks to my brother in law Positrac for getting me onto the nice bull in September!

Well heading out in the morning, hopefully I can be posting again on this thread!
Good luck to everyone for the last week and a half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Some terrific animals hitting the ground this year!

This year was a special one for me as both my boys folded their tags on their first deer.

Yesterday my youngest shot a huge doe on a friend's farm. I sat in the blind with him for the morning, then spent the afternoon hours still hunting and checking cameras.

I had bumped several deer - they didn’t look too panicked. While they provided me with shot opportunities, I was after something bigger, and I wasn't comfortable with the small margin of error. Plus this was likely my last chance to take this boy out this year, so i wasn't in a rush - my priority was for him to get onto a deer.

In the mid-afternoon I heard a shot from the blind. I called him a few minutes later to confirm: Doe down!

I went back to the farmhouse to shuck my camo gear and get the machine and met him in the field. In my excitement I forgot my phone, and his phone died while I was trying to take photos, so this is the best I can offer:

He had a couple of does coming towards him, and he had used the Primos can to call to them. Interestingly, they picked up the pace and headed right towards the blind. Then they turned to enter another patch of bush. A couple of “mehs” later, the doe gave him a perfect shot opportunity. His practice with the .270 paid off, and she dropped thirty yards later.

He cooked up the tenderloins as soon as we had the deer hung up.

Now the boys can get to work cutting her up. So glad that I don’t have to do this alone anymore!

So proud of those kids.
Good job Buff. Congrats to your stinky calves!!!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Good one man. Love it!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konatodd View Post
Well, finally figured out how to post pictures via Tapatalk...Lol
Give me a break I’m getting old, so I’ll post a couple pictures of this years season so far...

My moose from Early season September:

And my boys first Deer from Nov 1st write up earlier in this post:

It’s been a awesome season so far, and I have to thank my son for basically getting back into hunting after not really doing much over the last 6 or 8 years, but we are really enjoying the time together now that he is hunting with me.
Also a big thanks to my brother in law Positrac for getting me onto the nice bull in September!

Well heading out in the morning, hopefully I can be posting again on this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No better bonding time man! Congrats
Old 11-17-2020, 09:04 PM

Here’s what we’ve got going on so far. An ancient, grey haired sow, a first ram with good buddies, and a decent bull. Looking to kill a decent buck still. We will see what transpires!

Old 11-17-2020, 11:55 PM

Rattled in 5 yesterday and a few today.....hmmmm anyone got a recipe for tag soup?.....I am seeing what patience again is all about

Old 11-18-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Rattled in 5 yesterday and a few today.....hmmmm anyone got a recipe for tag soup?.....I am seeing what patience again is all about
Let simmer for 12 more days. Add meat if necessary.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:30 AM

My daughter wrote a haiku. Didn’t want to start a whole new thread just to share so figured I’d post it here:

Tags are drawn to hunt
You can practice at the range
Bang! Fall is now here
Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Nicely done! Congrats to your boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konatodd View Post

That's awesome. Hunting with the kids is a special time. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Good job Buff. Congrats to your stinky calves!!!
Haha! Thanks so much, Wildwoods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
My daughter wrote a haiku. Didn’t want to start a whole new thread just to share so figured I’d post it here:

Tags are drawn to hunt
Bang! Fall is now here
That's beautiful. I love it!
Old 11-20-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRussian View Post
Let simmer for 12 more days. Add meat if necessary.
was I simmering this morning or chivering?....another two bucks came by...one very tempting but my boy passed on him two days ago and said dad let him grow maybe another year....dam my inner voice.....congrats to all out there keep posting!

Old 11-20-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Mine is being tested, taking whatever shows up buck wise this wknd.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:17 PM

My 3 brothers came to hunt with me this year. That's a first time ever and we would all like to do it again next year. Spent most of a week together and that's the longest we've shared space since the late 70's when we started leaving home!

Helped the second oldest get his first whitey and the youngest brother his first bull moose (helped him get his first whitey buck last November).

All four of us filled our whitetail tags. My younger brother and I still have a couple tags left (I have supp whitey, he has general whitey and anterless mule as well as both having general elk) and we're going out next week. Little brother was so excited he went straight home and bought a Tikka T3 Hunter and dropped a Leupold on it. He's coming up to zero his scope then we're going after some deer!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Well, I made a 272 yard shot today right through the heart of a button buck this morning
The 303 with 150 Barnes TSX's , third deer i have taken with these bullets .
As soon as I figure out how to post pics with this new Tapatalk thingy I will
Cat

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-20-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post

Tags are drawn to hunt
Bang! Fall is now here
this is awesome!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:41 PM

This is the pole line where the the three came down, I shot the when they got to the pole closest to the bottom across the ravine, when they decided to head towards the bush to the right, about halfwy betwwen the top cross post and the bottom of the pole. I was leaning on the pole in the foreground
When the three stopped I shot the lead doe- which turned out to be a button buck

he made two steps and slid down the hill to the right and ended up in the bush!

I made my way back down to the bottom, to the SXS and we headed back p and around by the trails to the deer.
Once Again, Manitoban gave me a hand to get him out of there- well , in fact I got out of the way while he through it into the sled and pounded back up out of the bush to the powerline!

While I was field dressing it I checked the heart and sure enough , cut it well with the Barnes. Not bad trajectory for a 200 meter zero and a ranged 272 yard shot.

Cat
Old 11-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Nice Shot! Cat!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This is the pole line where the the three came down, I shot the when they got to the pole closest to the bottom across the ravine, when they decided to head towards the bush to the right, about halfwy betwwen the top cross post and the bottom of the pole. I was leaning on the pole in the foreground
When the three stopped I shot the lead doe- which turned out to be a button buck

he made two steps and slid down the hill to the right and ended up in the bush!

I made my way back down to the bottom, to the SXS and we headed back p and around by the trails to the deer.
Once Again, Manitoban gave me a hand to get him out of there- well , in fact I got out of the way while he through it into the sled and pounded back up out of the bush to the powerline!

While I was field dressing it I checked the heart and sure enough , cut it well with the Barnes. Not bad trajectory for a 200 meter zero and a ranged 272 yard shot.

Cat