Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 02:33 PM

Default Do I need a wildlife certificate to join a hunt?

Wasn't planning on getting out this year, but a buddy made some plans to go this weekend and I wouldn't mind going for a drive. I'm not taking a rifle and won't be taking a shot. Do I still need to get my wildlife certificate?
Old 11-27-2020, 03:21 PM

Check out the regs for the activities that are classified as "hunting". As long as you are not doing any of those things you do not need any licencing.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:30 AM

Will you be hunting? - see clause (v)

WILDLIFE ACT

Revised Statutes of Alberta 2000 Chapter W-10

Current as of February 20, 2018

Interpretation

1(1) In this Act,

“hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,

(i) shoot at, harass or worry,

(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,

(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,

(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or

(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;
Old 11-28-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Wasn't planning on getting out this year, but a buddy made some plans to go this weekend and I wouldn't mind going for a drive. I'm not taking a rifle and won't be taking a shot. Do I still need to get my wildlife certificate?
A Wildlife Certificate doesn't get you anywhere expect that it is a prerequisite in order to purchase a license.

If you are "hunting" as per the interpretation provided by Thumper then you need a license for the species you are hunting. If you are not hunting, you need nothing.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:18 AM

Just as mentioned above, you can be camp cook but will need license to join in the hunt.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 AM

Go out and enjoy the hunt. So long as all you're doing is following your friend or sitting with him (not pushing bush etc) just go enjoy the day.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Go out and enjoy the hunt. So long as all you're doing is following your friend or sitting with him (not pushing bush etc) just go enjoy the day.
This ^^^
Old 11-28-2020, 10:54 AM
Banned

Default Photographer

your a bird watcher enjoying the day .
Old 11-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageguy model 111 View Post
your a bird watcher enjoying the day .
Or hunting rabbits
Old 11-28-2020, 11:24 AM

I have never even heard of F&W ever charging someone with hunting without a license if they had no means in hand to kill the animal. While technically they probably could, I doubt like hell that any judge would ever convict a guy for having his ten year old pushing bush with him, or a non-shooting buddy along for the trip. I know a ton of guys who have had their wives along on hunts with no license. Never heard of any getting even a hard time for it when being checked for licenses.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:56 AM

One time I had my uncle drop me off for a evening sit in a field. He went a little down the road and parked in a approach to wait for me till dark. Warden came along threw the lights on. Uncle was dressed in Camo, no guns. Warden was gonna charge him with hunting without a license. I had to walk out to prove that he was there waiting to pick me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
One time I had my uncle drop me off for a evening sit in a field. He went a little down the road and parked in a approach to wait for me till dark. Warden came along threw the lights on. Uncle was dressed in Camo, no guns. Warden was gonna charge him with hunting without a license. I had to walk out to prove that he was there waiting to pick me up.

Well, I stand corrected, I have now HEARD of it happening at least once. I still can't believe that level of stupidity is common. Even after not charging him I would have phoned his supervisor and made an official complaint for making me walk out before my hunt was done.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post

That's why I wear my croc's....they know then that I am not pushing bush etc...sure go good with real tree camo

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-28-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well, I stand corrected, I have now HEARD of it happening at least once. I still can't believe that level of stupidity is common. Even after not charging him I would have phoned his supervisor and made an official complaint for making me walk out before my hunt was done.
From another angle....

Another AO member and I were together, having a coffee in a parked truck off of road inside a Provincial Park before daylight. (Illegal to hunt in this park).

A Conservation Officer approached us and asked if we were hunting.

I said no.
We intended to go hunt in a nearby Wildland provincial park later, but are not hunting from inside of a truck outside of legal hunting hours on a numbered road inside a Provincial park, that would be illegal on many levels.

She asked if we had hunting licences and weapons and we replied yes to both. On her request, hunting licences were shown to her.

She claimed that because were licenced to hunt, had weapons with us, she concludes that we are hunting. She explains this gives her the right to inspect the weapons, and demands to do so.

I restate that we are NOT hunting, and will give permission to inspect the weapons under the premise that we are NOT hunting (illegal to hunt in this Provincial Park).

She inspected the weapons and told us we were good to go.
I asked her that with her conclusion and actions (search) that we were hunting, why she isn't going to charge us with illegally hunting in a Provincial park, hunting at night, hunting on a highway.... I didn't get an answer, just a reiteration that by law, we were hunting and based on that, her actions were legal.

In law, she may have been right.
If she wanted to, she could have charged us with multiple infarctions with a good possibility of winning the case.
It would take a judge to determine if this law as applied in this circumstance would stand, regardless of how ridiculous it might seem

Alberta and most other jurisdictions have a legal definition of hunting that is so broad that if desired, enforcement could drastically change how people are legally allowed to hunt or participate in a hunt.

With the new Alberta Provincial Administration Act, a zealous enforcement officer can really wreak havoc on individuals as there will be almost no recourse to a court.

I would like to say just go and join the hunt.
I'll say do so only after learning how to cover your butt if confronted by an Officer.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-28-2020, 02:21 PM

By the provincial definition I posted above, almost all wildlife photographers, and most birdwatchers are 'hunting'.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Or hunting rabbits
yes rabbit hunting enjoying the day .
Old 11-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
By the provincial definition I posted above, almost all wildlife photographers, and most birdwatchers are 'hunting'.
Yes. If Limited to the definition you posted.

However, you missed this part of the Wildlife Act.

(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal

(a) for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if

(i) the person was not carrying a weapon, and

(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture of the animal,

So, No.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

However, you missed this part of the Wildlife Act.

(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal

(a) for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if

(ii) the purpose of the person’s activity was restricted to watching, photographing, drawing or painting a picture of the animal,

So, No.
I knew it but didn't want to start a p#$$!%g match you know he said she said
Old 11-29-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
yes rabbit hunting enjoying the day .
And if he doesn't like that answer then your hunting coyotes
Old 11-29-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
And if he doesn't like that answer then your hunting coyotes
And if he doesn't like that answer...drool and start coughing.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
And if he doesn't like that answer...drool and start coughing.
i love it say no more close this thread
Old 11-29-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

However, you missed this part of the Wildlife Act. ...
So, No.
Thanks WB, I did miss that !
Old 11-30-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
i love it say no more close this thread
Why close the thread?
Although this ''rule'' is open to debate and not going to be changed or resolved here, I find it a stupid one.
I still don't know why they would extent the definition to the degree they have.
I see it has been revised ( probably more than once )
The start of this rule was probably intended to be along the lines that you can't go shoot someone else's tag. Which I understand.
Personally, they've gone way overboard with this definition.
Why you ask?
My daughter ( who is a very novice hunter ) has a cow elk draw. It extends into December. Circumstances were that she will not be able to hunt this till into December.
Obviously my intentions were to be by her side to mentor/teach. I intend to carry my rifle as well. WHy wouldn't I ? I hunt in a grizzly infested area. And those gut pile hunters are still at it from what I see. WHat if I see a wolf or coyote?
By definition , the was it could be interpreted , she will have to go by herself on this hunt.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:03 AM

Some good info here. Thanks guys. Ended up just getting a bird license so I had something in case. Had a great day out there. Buddy had a Whitetail tag and of course all we saw was Mulies all day! 9 in total. 3 just stood broadside about 100 yard away with zero cares that we were there. How she goes.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:01 PM

ugh, this again.

First of all, Just to join a hunt as a guest/bush pusher/spotter you do not need ANY sort of license. No wildlife certificate or anything. From the wildlife act as long as you are unarmed you are not considered hunting. period, end of story. Also, even if you wanted to pack a .22 or some sort of coyote/rabbit gun you can hunt those without a license so you are good to go. Also, from the wildlife act you can do all of the activites listed in the definition of hunting but you would be considered as a guide so long as you are not the one shooting the animal. And because you can guide a resident without a license as long as you are not being paid then you are good to go. I wish people would read all of sections of the act before giving bad information.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:17 PM

The use of "and" is very important in this subsection...

(2) A person shall not be regarded as having hunted a subject animal (a) for the purposes of subsection (1)(o)(ii), if

Old 12-07-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
And because you can guide a resident without a license as long as you are not being paid then you are good to go. I wish people would read all of sections of the act before giving bad information.
You piqued my interest, but I could not find the relevant section of the act which authorizes this activity. Would you mind pointing it out?
Old 12-07-2020, 11:00 PM

I asked this question directly to an officer and was told if I were to join my friend I could not participate in the hunt at all. No pushing bush no spotting animals no nothing. Just sit in the truck with eyes forward and don’t leave it for nothing.

I asked if I could help after the hunt to retrieve the animal and he looked at me like I was crazy !! Said why would you do that ? I replied cause he is my friend !?
Was a real weird conversation.

I would hope that common sense would prevail if this situation ever arose anywhere but there is always that one off so.....
Old 12-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Just to add a bit more confusion, after you fill your tag, technically you must then leave the hunt camp and not assist your buddies in any way without a valid license in your pocket.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
I asked this question directly to an officer and was told if I were to join my friend I could not participate in the hunt at all. No pushing bush no spotting animals no nothing. Just sit in the truck with eyes forward and don’t leave it for nothing.

I asked if I could help after the hunt to retrieve the animal and he looked at me like I was crazy !! Said why would you do that ? I replied cause he is my friend !?
Was a real weird conversation.

I would hope that common sense would prevail if this situation ever arose anywhere but there is always that one off so.....
Did you get his reply in writing?

There are no absolutes