Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Bow Hunting Permit question?

I was just looking on AlbertaRELM and dont quite understand how to go about getting a bow hunting permit, do I have to purchase the Wildlife Certificate first?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJK View Post
I was just looking on AlbertaRELM and dont quite understand how to go about getting a bow hunting permit, do I have to purchase the Wildlife Certificate first?
I think you have to buy a certificate first....

LC
Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks LC.

Apon further reading on this site i gathered that first I purchase the wildlife certificate then the bow hunting permit, is this correct? I also read that both can be purchased at cantire or walmart, is this also correct? If i were to purchase them on AlbertaRELM are they to be printed off or do they get sent to my address apposed to going to cantire and getting them tonight?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Yes you can print them immediately and free copies anytime you need them.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks LC.

Apon further reading on this site i gathered that first I purchase the wildlife certificate then the bow hunting permit, is this correct? I also read that both can be purchased at cantire or walmart, is this also correct? If i were to purchase them on AlbertaRELM are they to be printed off or do they get sent to my address apposed to going to cantire and getting them tonight?
what are you looking to hunt? there isnt much left open that would require a license.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Thank you for bringing up the bowhunting permit. I for one 100% disagree with this $9.66 licence. Why are bow hunters paying....to bowhunt?
I dont know, maybe its just me, hate to ruffle anyones feathers.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
Thank you for bringing up the bowhunting permit. I for one 100% disagree with this $9.66 licence. Why are bow hunters paying....to bowhunt?
I dont know, maybe its just me, hate to ruffle anyones feathers.
im sure the fee is token to cover administartion, and the reason is to get a handle on how many bowhunters there are....or at least its what ive been told.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
im sure the fee is token to cover administartion, and the reason is to get a handle on how many bowhunters there are....or at least its what ive been told.
What administration?, i know its only $9.66 but hell, no one buys a rifle hunting permit
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM

I just bought my bow not to long ago and been practicing ALOT and think I am doing very well, I have also been learning to call in coyotes and a couple times called them into bow range (but without bow in hand). So I figured next time Im hiding in the bush calling them in I'd like to have everything I need to be legal if I get the chance to take one. That being said, is it wrong to call in an animal without the intent to shoot it? That may be a dumb question but I just want to go about everything the right way.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I just bought my bow not to long ago and been practicing ALOT and think I am doing very well, I have also been learning to call in coyotes and a couple times called them into bow range (but without bow in hand). So I figured next time Im hiding in the bush calling them in I'd like to have everything I need to be legal if I get the chance to take one. That being said, is it wrong to call in an animal without the intent to shoot it? That may be a dumb question but I just want to go about everything the right way.
I would't say its wrong, but you may be educating the coyotes once they realize whats going on. They would be harder to call in the next time.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

ok jeep...you got me thinking here. my first thought was that you dont need a license of any kind to kill coyotes....so i went to dig it up and found this......

BOWHUNTING

Note: The following applies to bowhunting other than with a cross-bow. Scroll down for information about hunting with cross-bows.

Except for the hunting of black bear, coyote, cougar or wolf under the circumstances as outlined under Access for Control of Livestock Predation, a Bowhunting Permit is required by anyone who hunts big game, game bird, wolf or coyote with a bow and arrow.

but a little more digging turned up the written portion i was first thinking of....

Coyote
A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2011 to February 29, 2012, and
2) in Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730), only from January 2, 2012 to February 29, 2012.

seems to be directly contradicting quotes. i think i might spend the 10 bucks to be sure.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
What administration?, i know its only $9.66 but hell, no one buys a rifle hunting permit
if you print a license there is an administartion cost to it. there is also someone somewhere compiling those stats. im not saying the cost is representative, but there is a price. id guess that rifle hunters are assumed to be rifle hunters when they dont but the archery permit. it makes more sense than that they would would be using rocks.....
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone! I just finished purchasing and printing my Wildlife Certificate and Bow Hunting Permit on AlbertaRELM. As yes some of the stuff stated in the hunting regs do seem confusing and contradicting to me too. The way some of it is worded is kinda hard to follow, which is why I've read it cover to cover probably five times lol and many more times till I understand it all. From what I understand the only animal that can be hunted without a permit is rabbits, true? Coyotes and wolves without a permit on your own land to protect livestock, true?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I would't say its wrong, but you may be educating the coyotes once they realize whats going on. They would be harder to call in the next time.
This is correct, coyotes can get educated very quickly to calling. If you're on your own land it may be more useful if you threw down some bait i.e. a couple of frozen turkeys and then practiced calling to the bait.

I am also against bowhunters paying the extra permit fee. I suppose one could rationalize it by saying the need for extra fish cops due to the bow season would justify a fee, or we pay $10 for the extra length to the season.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
I am also against bowhunters paying the extra permit fee. I suppose one could rationalize it by saying the need for extra fish cops due to the bow season would justify a fee, or we pay $10 for the extra length to the season.
In BC, we don't have an bow hunting fee.....instead we have a 2 week bow opening, whereas, Alberta has a 2 month bow season...I'd gladly pay the $10 to have a 2 month bow season in BC. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM

My thoughts exactly, I will gladly pay the extra $10 to have the right to hunt elk, moose, muleys with a general license, and not have to wait years for a draw. Archery opens up major doors for us in the form of opportunity to hunt various animals in many wmu's without a draw......... $10 well spent in my mind.
Just my $0.02
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JIMMY View Post
My thoughts exactly, I will gladly pay the extra $10 to have the right to hunt elk, moose, muleys with a general license, and not have to wait years for a draw. Archery opens up major doors for us in the form of opportunity to hunt various animals in many wmu's without a draw......... $10 well spent in my mind.
Just my $0.02
It's great information to have to back up tag allocations ... that's why the permit is required. It's worth it in the long run.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM

New to bow hunting, And wondering what licensing i need from start to finish to be able to hunt?
I haven't purchased a bow yet but am wondering to cost and licensing to hunt and if its a test to receive the license or just pay and get it?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Really guys?? It's 10 bucks!! Once a year!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle_313 View Post
New to bow hunting, And wondering what licensing i need from start to finish to be able to hunt?
I haven't purchased a bow yet but am wondering to cost and licensing to hunt and if its a test to receive the license or just pay and get it?

Thanks for your help!
If your don't even have a bow yet, u should get one and pratice your azz off till next year. Shooting a bow accurately will not happen from shooting a few arrows.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
If your don't even have a bow yet, u should get one and pratice your azz off till next year. Shooting a bow accurately will not happen from shooting a few arrows.
Oh Yes i do need practice that's for sure.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Oh Yes i do need practice that's for sure.
Not trying to be a jerk, just hate seeing guys shoot a dozen arrows and figure they are ready to go hunting!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Not trying to be a jerk, just hate seeing guys shoot a dozen arrows and figure they are ready to go hunting!
Oh By far I am not ready! just looking into the cost and the everything so when i am confident in my shot then i know what to do.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
perhaps you should qualify your statement. how many arrows is necessary for an archer of say 20 years,required to shoot before venturing afield,mr reayman.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
where are you "SEEING" these guys who shoot a dozen arrows and then go hunting?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
perhaps you should qualify your statement. how many arrows is necessary for an archer of say 20 years,required to shoot before venturing afield,mr reayman.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Lol, that's all you need to say to him. Good answer.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Have seen lots of guys walk into bow shops a week before season to buying there first bow, saying they are going hunting in a week. If noodle has been an archer for a while than my bad.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Lol, that's all you need to say to him. Good answer.

Well, lets see......hunting permission hasnt been skyrocketing in Alberta lately. More and more people pick up a bow or buy a bow a week before opening day.
Nothing like helping a farmer make a decision on permission seeing a deer running around with an arrow hanging out of its @ss.

Keep the lovefest going with people like the OP.

Remember this jack88
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Well, lets see......hunting permission hasnt been skyrocketing in Alberta lately. More and more people pick up a bow or buy a bow a week before opening day.
Nothing like helping a farmer make a decision on permission seeing a deer running around with an arrow hanging out of its @ss.

Keep the lovefest going with people like the OP.

Remember this jack88

Remember it well, I guess?