Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Bought a pair of Lowa's two years ago. Bought them in 11's as all my other footwear is 11 and found them to be too small. Exchanged them for 11.5's and have done a couple two hour hikes up and down the mountain. So far, I love them. The "break-in" for them was these couple two hour hikes and no issues whatsoever as far as blisters and comfort. Would definately recommend them.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 PM

So I have now received my Cabelas Meindl Alaskan Hunter, Alaskan Hiker, and a pair of Lowa Tibet boots. I think I am leaning towards the Lowa Tibets and returning the 2 pairs of Cabelas boots. My next question is what is everyone using to treat, seal, and condition their boots, and how often? I've never had boots with the rubber rand before - do you do anything special to seal the edge of it?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Go to a hobby store that sells RC Aircraft and buy a small 1 oz bottle of CA (superglue). thin glue. This is alot cheaper than that tiny thing you but at Crappy Tire. Before you water proof your boots apply the glue to all seams and then apply your water proof. I've been using snoseal to date but it will be interesting to see what others are using.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Funny story, quick aside

Hey guys: I have been reading this thread with a smile. I don't know if any of you guys have ever met Del and his wife who used to run the horse stable at Hummingbird creek/Ram river area. He claimed he guided for sheep in the area for many years. He packed Salty and me in for a week long sheep hunt...anyways he was looking at our stuff as we unloaded our stuff at the trail head and we got to talking about the "best" boots for sheep hunting, etc. I showed him my Hanwags and he starts laughing.

All he ever wore was $19.95 rubber boots...the rest he said were junk! I guess men in his day were just tough.

Hoopi
Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 PM

Well, it depends on the day.

My Han Wags are tough and take my vote for a sold sheep boot. I use the HanWag Alaska Gtx. Perfect for multi day adventures. I put them on and don't even think about my feet, support or traction.

I also like my LaCrosse Alphaburly Sport. Think rubber boot with aggressive soles. If needed, tensor bandages wrapping the ankles give all the support a guy will need (especially when side-hilling). I like these for day trips. They are super light weight and creeks are not a problem. I fast like brave scout.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/w...pur/images.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/w...pur/200004.jpg

Last edited by bdmunro; 04-11-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Default Danner Montana GTX's

My first pair of serious boots were Danner Mountain Hunters (7yrs ago). They are now discontinued. They were tough to break in, suffered many blisters but just kept wearing them. Finally after 2 yrs i had confidence in my footwear for a sheep hunt. That's why they were orginally purchased.

Due to wear/tear. I sent them in to Danner for refurbishing because i was being so anal about a new pair not feeling as good or being broken in for the upcoming mountain season. Unfortunately they were returned not with explanation why they are not repairable. I was crushed and freaked out. I called them in a panick and Danner offered to provide me a 25% off coupon so i have just purchased a pair of Danner Montana GTX's.

They were $180US c/w the 25% off discount. They are Vibram sole, 400gm thinsulate, Gortex lined, leather ext c/w Rubber Rand, 10inch high boot. As nervous as i was when i first put them on they felt okay and after the first 1 hr of wear received one blister. I guess they may take some work however i know with some commitment these boots have all the characteristics for a great boot. Anyone who has donned a heavy pack on an extended trip immediately can identify what materials and construction is required for a reliable boot.

In total i agree Danner boots take some extra break in time but i think for fair dollar they deliver. I would make sure and order direct from Danner, Portland OR. I agree with one other post stating the Cabelas name associated with manufacturer do not seem likely to maintain the originals standard of manufacturing. For the record my second choice would be the LOWA Hunter GTX just couldn't swallow the cost due to the dollar right now.

Simpatico
Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Vibram Soles

Just for the record i feel Vibram soles are wicked and a high end boot should carry nothing but.

Simpatico
Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
All he ever wore was $19.95 rubber boots...the rest he said were junk! I guess men in his day were just tough.

Hoopi
I know a guy who has guided SEVERAL big Stone's sheep and has almost always wore his rubber boots or at the very most his cowboy boots. An old timer that knew how to find sheep and put them on the ground, and did it with the gear that worked for him....lol
Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I know a guy who has guided SEVERAL big Stone's sheep and has almost always wore his rubber boots or at the very most his cowboy boots. An old timer that knew how to find sheep and put them on the ground, and did it with the gear that worked for him....lol
Can you imagine heading into the mountains in a pair of Cowboy boots..lol my feet hurt just thinking about.I could do it with no problem in a pair of LaCrosse Alphaburly Sport,but they are a long ways from a standard rubber boot.

Old timers were definatly tough SOB,s....
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Can you imagine heading into the mountains in a pair of Cowboy boots..lol my feet hurt just thinking about.I could do it with no problem in a pair of LaCrosse Alphaburly Sport,but they are a long ways from a standard rubber boot.

Old timers were definatly tough SOB,s....
And this guy was guiding sheep 5 years ago...lol

Not even a REAL old-timer.....I think he was 50ish years old.....he WAS a stubborn bugger though....lol