Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Question Twin Lake / Rainbow fishing advise

Looks like we are headed to Wilderness Village for the long weekend again this year. We have some friends with a membership and the kids like going there, so against my "no long weekends" policy we are hitting the road Friday at lunch.

Anyways I was going to take the canoe and hit twin for some rainbow fishing with my boys!
I was wondering:
- if the ice was off the lake?
- what is a good tactic for Rainbows? I usually fish for walleye / pike
- Can anyone point to a decent spot in the lake I should paddle to?
- If we get lucky enough to catch a few what are some good cooking methods, fry up like walleye??

I sure appreciate any advise you guys could offer, thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM

been a few years since i fished this body of water but if i remeber right the south west corner produced the best for the old spawners......if it has changed or there is a better spot somebody will pipe up and tell you.......i know olive wooley buggers, leach patterns and some minnow patterns worked for me.....good luck
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM

I had my boat at Twin on Sunday. Yes, the ice is out, but fishing was pretty slow that day but I'm sure it will improve. We had a bit of luck trolling a wet fly......but it wasn't great. Also had a bit of action on a willow leaf with a worm, a yellow & red Len Thompson lure, and a couple of flatfish. Most of the fish caught while we were there was by people fishing from shore with power bait. Red, orange & charteruse all seemed to be working, but it was slow for them also. You could anchor & still fish with powerbait from your canoe. Mostly that is done with a weight & the bait just off the bottom. You could do it with or without a float. Most of the lake is productive, but I have had limited success in the northeast corner. That could be because I don't fish it much. With a canoe, I would suggest trolling most anywhere around the west end, across to, and southeast of the island (has a walkway leading out to it), and back again. I'm sure that there will be quite a few boats there on the long weekend and you will see where they fish. Sometimes the east shore is productive in shallow water, but that can be hit or miss. I guess the truth is that every time you think you've got those fish figured out, they can make a liar out of you. It can be humbling at times, but it's great fun, and usually quite successful. If you have a flyrod, it would be worth a try as I did some fish (not a lot) rising. More should be doing so as more insects hatch out. Wet flies and imitation of other invertibrates should also work. Re: best cooking method............I'm sure you will get as many answers to that as there are people that respond. Frying seems to be most popular while at the lake, but baking is also an option. I'm not sure they will compare to your walleye, or even a pike out of cold water, but again, everyone's tastes vary. When you're out there (especially with kids) they all taste good. Releasing is a great feeling as well. Best of luck. Might see you out there!
Brian
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM

For the brood stock, any fly immitating fish pellets should work. Fry them up like you would any other fish. Throw in a dirty sock to soak up the oil. Eat the sock, throw the fish in your garden where the neighbour's cat takes his crap.