Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Sidewalk worm picking.

While I was at work today, I called home to ask if Mrs Kokanee could grab a coffee can and walk around the block to collect worms off the sidewalk.

In a rather loud voice, she politely told me what she would do with that coffee can when I got home.

The nerve of her!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM

hahahaha. I was thinking about doing the same thing today, there were monster worms everywhere I looked!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM

went for a walk when we were in the city during a rainstorm with my lady, after i filled both the pockets of my raincoat with big worms she filled hers too, now thats a partner!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 PM

right on nice to see everyone collecting the worms too. i have done 3 runs already filling 1litre containers and have already used most of them up. but some have died and i am just in trying to find a way to keep them alive longer than a few days. i just bought a pack of that frabil worm bedding. i normally just use dirt from the garden. cheaper than paying $6 or $7 bucks for 12 worms eh? its free all over the streets and sidewalks.lol
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
right on nice to see everyone collecting the worms too. i have done 3 runs already filling 1litre containers and have already used most of them up. but some have died and i am just in trying to find a way to keep them alive longer than a few days. i just bought a pack of that frabil worm bedding. i normally just use dirt from the garden. cheaper than paying $6 or $7 bucks for 12 worms eh? its free all over the streets and sidewalks.lol
this works for me....shred up a whole bunch of newspaper. I use scissors, and cut the papers in 1/2" or so strips. Dampen with water. "Fluff" the shredded paper into some type of container like a small styrofoam bucket with a lid. Keep them stored in a very cool place...preferably a refrigerator...just don't tell your lady they're in there! I've kept worms alive for well over 2 months this way.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
this works for me....shred up a whole bunch of newspaper. I use scissors, and cut the papers in 1/2" or so strips. Dampen with water. "Fluff" the shredded paper into some type of container like a small styrofoam bucket with a lid. Keep them stored in a very cool place...preferably a refrigerator...just don't tell your lady they're in there! I've kept worms alive for well over 2 months this way.
X2. This is the best method I know of for keeping them alive.

Try to get the ones that are still in the grass and garden and not on the street. They will be much more lively and will live much longer than the water-logged ones.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM

I have done this with my daughter this week too. We are keeping them in our old 10 gallon fish tank followed a website on how to raise them and they are doing awesome in the garage. I came home yesterday to find my girl out in the garage just sitting there stareing at the tank naming her worms.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 AM

I did this last night and found some massive worms. I have a ten gallon bucket with a lid and my plan is just to put them in there and let them live there until I need them.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Default worm box .

Don't make it an airtight lid poke some holes gentlemen

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
Don't make it an airtight lid poke some holes gentlemen
X2
That was my mistake

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 AM

Will have stinky out in the park and yard tonight collecting.

Should keep him occupied for a couple of minutes.
Wonder if the neighbour girls will want to help.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
While I was at work today, I called home to ask if Mrs Kokanee could grab a coffee can and walk around the block to collect worms off the sidewalk.

In a rather loud voice, she politely told me what she would do with that coffee can when I got home.

The nerve of her!
I just phoned the wife and asked her if she would worm hunt. I thought I was doing pretty good till I did a doghouse thing and told her the fresh air would do her good. Funny how fast maybe can turn to screw you. lmao
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
I just phoned the wife and asked her if she would worm hunt. I thought I was doing pretty good till I did a doghouse thing and told her the fresh air would do her good. Funny how fast maybe can turn to screw you. lmao
Not nice Plinker.
Speaking of fishing how are them new flies treating ya?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
You use JUST paper ? Thats kinda cool, never heard of that. Also the refrigerator isn't too cold ?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Used to live downtown. Wife had ample grounds to divorce me over my worm picking on wet nights down back alleys west of the Leg. Wife always told me that she would deny knowing me if EPS picked me up. I always knew I had a rock solid explanation that would be accepted as a bunch of EPS members are avid fishermen as well.

Drewski
Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usef View Post
You use JUST paper ? Thats kinda cool, never heard of that. Also the refrigerator isn't too cold ?
worms like the cold...just not freezing cold. If your container gets warm at all....you're gonna have one smelly mess!! I had a styrofoam coffee cup with lid last year...tossed 2 "night crawler" (the huge brown worms) in it, threw it in the back frig at work....forgot them for most of the summer. One day when going through the frig i noticed them, opened the lid and they were happy campers...and the newspaper surprisingly had held the moisture quite well with the lid on the cup. You don't want water in your container, but keeping the paper damp and cool is paramount. I have no idea why i kept those worms in the first place...i haven't fished with worms since i was a kid in the states. I guess an old habit of long ago nagged at me that "just in case i may want to". As a kid, armed with a flashlight on a rainy evening, catching "night crawlers" in the wet grass with my brother was a sport in itself.

Last edited by finsnfeathers; 05-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Some moist moss also makes a great home for worms.
I've kept them in that in ziplock bags in the fridge for months. Gasses will diffuse through plastic fairly well, and the cold temperatures of a fridge keep their metabolism so low that they really don't need much if any ventilation.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 PM

wow interesting i normally just pick the ones on the street and sidewalks thinking they would be easy pickings. never would have thought the ones in the grass would not be as water logged. maybe thats why mine keeps dying on me.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post

The nerve of her!
BWAHAHAHAHA!
Your a bold man sir, good idea to ask on the telephone and not in person!
Funny stuff!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM

I also pick worms from my lawn on cool, wet evenings. I put mine in peat moss (no dirt) in a bucket in the fridge. I gathered a bunch before the frost in the fall and had live worms all hard water season.

If the worm breaks in half as I am pulling it from the ground, I don't put it in my pail, the 1/2 worms rot and then the other worms near it begin to die.

Happy worm hunting!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:30 AM

You folks want worms I got worms , but am far to lazy to pick them off the ground .

Thats 500 Jumbo Dew worms . That should last a week or two , ive gone thru about a 100 and just got them Monday .
Old 05-28-2011, 01:33 AM

Nice worms! I have a bucket just like that in my fridge, but I have to pick mine as my first worm farm was an epic failure and I was banned from worm farming in the house by my other half, LOL!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Did some worm picking today.
My best friend told me I am evil............

I had My son *6yrs*, her daughter *5yrs* and her 11 month old son collecting worms in the park.
She took offense to the baby helping. Especially when he tried to eat them. I explained to him he wasnt a fish and not supposed to eat them.

She wasn't too thrilled.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Did some worm picking today.
My best friend told me I am evil............

I had My son *6yrs*, her daughter *5yrs* and her 11 month old son collecting worms in the park.
She took offense to the baby helping. Especially when he tried to eat them. I explained to him he wasnt a fish and not supposed to eat them.

She wasn't too thrilled.
I hope you used barbless on the 11 month old.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I hope you used barbless on the 11 month old.
cute. No I havent introduced him to fishing yet. Baby steps. Figure worm picking is a good place for a baby to start.