Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Default mountain lake pike tackle?

i need some technique / lure suggestions.

I'm quadding into a lake West of rocky (MacGregor), and i know there's pike in there, and there's got to be some biggun's too, but can someone give me some suggestions for what tackle to use. I usually stick with a red on yellow 5 of diamonds. but as i have to quad in, i can only fish from water as deep as my hipwaders. so i was wondering what those of you whom have more experience in this than i mighthave for suggestions.

thanx, M
Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM

No experience in this, but I would guess a husky jerk or original floating would do the trick based on the depth.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
KyleM

Im not helping you because of your views on handguns.

Keeping that in mind....

I rarely use Raps, not for any reason....I just have better luck and better action on other baits.

My go-to bait for pike is a Cotten Cordell Ripplin Redfin. You can get these things anywhere they are fairly cheap (shows on the finish) but they produce.

My second bait that I would suggest to anyone, 3X Strike King series plastics, mainly in the minnow/slug pattern. Anyone that uses these things for pike knows they are just unbeatable when they are tight lipped.

I use those 2 baits in different colours probably 75% of the time.

Other baits Id suggest are....

Mepps Maribou's, hands down one of the best large inline spinner.

Heddons Zara Spook, need a fairly flexible rod to get a great action out of them but when the wolves are feeding ontop, cant beat em. If you dont know how to walk the dog, youll figure it out in a day.

I prefer Williams Wabblers over any 5 of diamonds. Dont get me wrong 5oD's are great for trolling but for casting, Wabblers get my vote. Not only can you work these things slow but they are a fantastic bait to roll down a set of rapids...Pickeral love them aswell.

Hope that helps ya out.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Mcgregor Lake west of Rocky? Are you sure? If it's west of rocky, it's probably not the Mcgregor that has pike (that one's down south). If you are going up there, it's more likely a small trout lake. If that's the case then just take some small lures and flies.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 PM

yup - just as sure as there are a billion jackfish lakes. Its north of harlech west of rocky. pulled a pike (albeit a small one) out of there last year, but got skunked for the trouts. before the flooding in 2005, down the waters of the baptise (from macgregor) was good fishing, but not so much lately. so i figure i'd try for a pike this time.