Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Default Helmet Law

Had A Fish and Wildlife Officer threaten me with a ticket for no helmet while quadding in Calling Lake area. I know their is no provincial helmet law. Could there be municipal bylaws? Officer did not explain his threat of ticket.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Question

I don't know the answer to your question.
I do have a question of my own: Why the heck were you quadding without a helmet?
Maybe there should be a helmet law to protect those who don't have enough sense to protect themselves????
Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 AM

How do we all survive with out BIG BROTHER BABYSITTING us. Been tooling around in the woods for a hell of a long time, hell back in the Big Red trike days without a single inch of it wearing a HELMET! Use the thing on top of your shoulders, instead of letting charles Darwin steer your ship through life, and all will be OK!!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2506 View Post
How do we all survive with out BIG BROTHER BABYSITTING us. Been tooling around in the woods for a hell of a long time, hell back in the Big Red trike days without a single inch of it wearing a HELMET! Use the thing on top of your shoulders, instead of letting charles Darwin steer your ship through life, and all will be OK!!
x a lot. Good answer.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 AM

There currently is no helmet law on the books for OHV/sled users.
Back a couple of years a task force was put together with Ab Offhighway Vehicle Association and Ab Snowmobile Assocaition involved to propose draft regulations for helmet use.
The draft regulations are currently sitting on the Ministers desk for sign off but has not moved for the past year.
Requirements for OHV/sled use on crown land remains as insurance and registration. Motorcycles you do require a helmet, plates and isurance as well as a headlight and tail light.
If memory serves me; there are a couple of towns that do require helmets as part of their bylaws to permit OHV/sled use with in town limits to go from your home out to the trail system...I don't remember which ones.
Cal
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM

I'm no fan of preventing Darwins theory, but on the other hand I'm no fan of a STARS flight crew putting themsleves at risk to go fly in to get a guy when his head split, simply cause the guy wants to be cool...

Nothing we do is independant of other people anymore, .... unless you can sign a waiver.

I have seen more quad accidents come into the hospital then I care to remember...

It's a difficult topic...

If you don't want "common sense" to be legislated, how about demonstrating you have some...

wear a helmet....
Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 AM

Common sense should tell you to wear a helmet! thats like playing Russian Roulette, its not a matter of if you get hurt but when.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I don't know the answer to your question.
I do have a question of my own: Why the heck were you quadding without a helmet?
Maybe there should be a helmet law to protect those who don't have enough sense to protect themselves????
Sorry Bob, I dont wear a helmet when quading either. For me quading is not so much a sport as a way to enjoy some scenery or get a load of somthing or other from point A to point B and I've had less reason to wear a helmet on a quad than on a peddle bike. That being said I would never ride a dirtbike without one even though I've had far more injurys from not wearing gloves or dirtbike boots than not wearing a helmet, perhaps they should force people to wear those as well? Or else they could just let people decide for themselves whats neccessary.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM

No helmet for me on a quad either.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 AM

I have not worn one either. I agree that they are a good idea, but I have a problem with everything being dictated to us, one law at a time.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Arn?Narn.;660904] but on the other hand I'm no fan of a STARS flight crew putting themsleves at risk to go fly in to get a guy when his head split, simply cause the guy wants to be cool...

Give me a break --Stars crews are no more at risk when attending a call than you or I am when travelling down any of our hiways, in fact, I would have to say it's safer for them. Their heli's are maintained to the 10's , so don't make this issue out to be something it isn't. I fly and am very aware of the requirements of a safe flight and - a safe quad trip. As a trapper as well, I spent countless hours on my quads every year, maintaining trails and working my line. I really need more legislation in this regard.. Let them and those who think this will solve the problem, legislate -COMMON SENSE- first . When they have that law in place, just think then how much money they can make writing tickets . In addition to our GST, we will also have the CST...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM

A 100% helmet law................go away. The creation of new laws is insidious....it's knee-jerk, political interference. Pretty soon the rock climbers will say sheephunters have to wear helmets. How 'bout horse riding? I, as a responsible, risk adverse, user of an atv for transport while hunting, fishing, scouting do not require or want a helmet.............I just muddle along on my quad...........go away. Emotion based argument for wearing helments don't budge me either. A law for kids wearing helmets sure..........not adults.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

I have never worn one either when quading but thats do to the type of quading I do.. I do not run a big high performance machine I run a hunting machine.. And I use it as such.. I don't go racing around at top speed and doing jumps and wheelies,, its a pleasure ride.. Before we start throwing our opinion out there we have to look at what type of quading we do.. Now for some yah I would say they should be wearing helmets but unfortunately how could you regulate it according to machine.. Its about wearing the appropriate gear for the job..

Another law,, yah thats what we need in this country...
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Default Government OR Common Sense???

I vote Common sense every time...

I used to have a quad and would wear a helmet IF I was going to be going fast or tough terrain, but if I was just out cruising down a trail or whatever...NO Helmet...I survived!!! Same as sledding...almost always wear a helmet...but for the odd time when I'm just putting along and the weather is nice...NO Helmet.

I always wear a helmet and full NOMEX when I'm driving down the highway though in my F350. Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet when they're doing 110km/hr with the potential to be crushed into by a semi or a moose...well sir...that is moronic to the nth degree...(let "n" equal infinity). I'm surprised there is no helmet law for people in vehicles on the highways and freeways. NASCAR drivers wear them, etc...

Sooooo...all you helmet lovers...do you guys all wear helmets in your vehicles? No? Ever see someone with head injuries from a vehicle accident? Hope you're all wearing neck braces as well.

Sorry...but I'll decide when I need to wear a helmet. After extensive studies and research I have determined I am several orders of magnitude more intelligent than the entire government of Canada and am much more capable of determining how I want to live my life than they are. I will gladly sign a waiver exempting myself from Canada Health Plan the second they exempt me from paying it.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM

and i think fly fisherman should have to wear a fencing mask. or sign a waiver????
i think signing a waiver is stupid. theres public health care. dont like it , move to the states. people need to concern themselves with their own lives. not worry about what everyone else is doing. maybe instead of a waiver , if there was some type of tax we could pay , say added into the price of the quad , or the gas and oil you put in it , or the clothes on your back while your riding it. oh wait. there already is.

we have enough fees and taxes as it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Man I just shake my head at how some people think

Imagine if we had a law for every little thing that was dangerous

I can count on 1 hand the number of helmuts i see quaders wearing in my area in a year..
Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

funny how so many here mope and whine about some of the laws they see in their eyes as ridiculous, yet in the next thread go and ask for more laws?????? how about we just be treated as adults and go ahead and make some grown-up decisions for ourselves?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=sourdough doug;660971]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
but on the other hand I'm no fan of a STARS flight crew putting themsleves at risk to go fly in to get a guy when his head split, simply cause the guy wants to be cool...

Give me a break --Stars crews are no more at risk when attending a call than you or I am when travelling down any of our hiways, in fact, I would have to say it's safer for them. Their heli's are maintained to the 10's , so don't make this issue out to be something it isn't. I fly and am very aware of the requirements of a safe flight and - a safe quad trip. As a trapper as well, I spent countless hours on my quads every year, maintaining trails and working my line. I really need more legislation in this regard.. Let them and those who think this will solve the problem, legislate -COMMON SENSE- first . When they have that law in place, just think then how much money they can make writing tickets . In addition to our GST, we will also have the CST...
Let's make it a little clearer for you...

I am not a fan of anyone putting themselves at any risk to to help victims of their own selfishness, indulgence and stupidity.

As for risk?

Check out life Insuranse ...I'm sure being a pilot you know the rsk assesment involved with such.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM

I don't want to see more laws, I want to see more common sense, and when there is no common sense, I don't want my tax $$$'s paying for the ****fall.

High risk of Avalanche....ok,..let's ride in, but be careful.

Hours later. Emergency response, SAR, and every other resource is dispatched....

Hmm,..I'm gonna ride my quad accross this mountain rockslide... I won't wear a helmet though,..afterall, I'm going slow and it's sunny....
Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Well you can't really legislate that people have some common sense, and you can't really legislate against people being stupid in one form or another. But I will state the reason why I wear a helmet while out quadding with the wife and kids on my Kawis

First it sets a good example for my kids. I don't want them thinking "Hey, Dad doesn't wear a helmet so why should I on my quad/bike/etc"

Second is that it doesn't take much for a loaded ATV to go over backwards or on its side on slow technical trail. You can say it won't happen to me, or you can say " where the heck am I?" cause you landed on you noodle or you can say "gurgle gurgle drool gurgle" because you were unfortunate enough to suffer a serious brain injury.

Third reason would be my tax dollars. I wear a seatbelt because it saves lives and prevents more serious injuries, saving our already overloaded health care system money. Not because if I don't I'll get a ticket.

Fourth reason would be it's COOL, ever see the SNELL and DOT approved lids shaped like the WWII German helmets?? Each to their own but I just might get me one!

This all being said, I don't have a problem with what Rugatika and Walleyes said in that it is common sense and depends on the riding you do. When I'm at the farm in SK and head out in the pasture to check cows or shoot gophers or pick berries or what the heck ever, I may not wear one. But I've gotten in the habbit of it and its like a seatbelt for me. I feel naked without one.

So if you're at McLean Creek this weekend and see some guy wearing a full face dirtbiking helmet on a Red Brute Force with a 6 and 4 year old following him doing on 2 little green Kawaskis doing 2 miles an hour on a perfectly flat trail,............. that will be me

PS: as for legislating it, I'm on the fence, if Farmer Joe ( or my Dad for that matter ) in the middle of the prairies is putting across the quarter section to check his cows, honestly why does he need a helmet. But if you're out ridding in the foothills or in the designated off road areas where a trail might get hairy, that's another story.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I don't want to see more laws, I want to see more common sense, and when there is no common sense, I don't want my tax $$$'s paying for the ****fall.

High risk of Avalanche....ok,..let's ride in, but be careful.

Hours later. Emergency response, SAR, and every other resource is dispatched....

Hmm,..I'm gonna ride my quad accross this mountain rockslide... I won't wear a helmet though,..afterall, I'm going slow and it's sunny....
do you want to see your taxes have cops and bylaw officers chasing after people to ticket them because they are riding a ohv without a helmet ? more regulation is not the answer. we have to pay for all this enforcement too. im tired of the government controling every aspect of my life. im waiting for the day they bust my bedroom door down and ticket me and the old lady for not wearing a rubber.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I'm pretty sure there is no law for wearing one while operating an ATV. My choice though is to wear one though. If your choice is not to wear one then that's your decision.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Man I just shake my head at how some people think

Imagine if we had a law for every little thing that was dangerous

I can count on 1 hand the number of helmuts i see quaders wearing in my area in a year..
Its funny, for how few people you see wearing helmets when actualy quading theres sure alot of people on this board ready to jump on a guy for not wearing one! So with a few notable exceptions we've either got a dissproportionate percentage of helmet wearing ATVers posting on this board or else we've got some people who dont realy spend much time on a quad who feel that their opinion is still valid.

Last edited by Cal; 08-23-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM

I always have a helmut on when out playing around but when I am out hunting i don't. I adjust my riding style to what protective equipment I use
Old 08-23-2010, 02:34 PM

I wear one, so does the wifey and kids. I could care less if anyone else does, its your choice. The wearing a helmet law.... ha ha...its law for kids to strap one on for riding a 2 wheel bike.. and I'd betcha 50% of the kids I see daily do not have one on. Real good enforcement on that law... cant enforce in town, heck are ya gonna in the woods...what a joke..

edit: Jaylow... that was hilarious man!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Some atv helmet bylaws in alberta

BRAZEAU COUNTY, YES, FINE ????
STURGEON COUNTY, YES, $75.00 FINE.
PARKLAND COUNTY, YES, $200.00 FINE.
COUNTY OF ATHABASCA, YES $200.00 FINE.
SMOKY LAKE COUNTY, ????, HELMET SHOULD BE WORN ????
STRATHCONA COUNTY IS A NO RIDE OFF-HIGHWAY USE AREA. UNLESS
PERMITS ARE ISSUED FOR EVENTS SUCH AS PARADES

Iam sure there is more, but these are areas of my interest.

You have all heard or seen the Signs, "call before you dig". Well this is a "Know Before You Go to Ride."

Bruce.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Gone Hunting

As with most "protective helmet" issues, those with something worth protecting will wear one over it.

Those who enjoy and demand their "freedom" will role the dice.

When I ride an OHV for work I have to wear a helmet. So when I am riding one, not for work, why would I choose not wear one?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM

I don't care if you wear one or not, it's your mellon.

When you have an accident, STARS will come to get you, the doctors will fight to save your life and your family may be forced to make a decision for the machines to be on or off because you cracked your noggin', or they may have to feed you, bathe you and change you every day because of your head injury. Will they agree with your choice?

The decision not to wear a helmet is yours, but the results of that decision can affect everyone you care about.

The thought of putting my wife and kids through that is enough for me to put on the bucket.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

I find it ironic to see so many people attack the people that choose not to wear helmets because of the risk of injury,yet many of those same people think that's it's okay to smoke,and expose yourself to the risk of cancer or respiratory disease.I always wear a helmet when trail riding,but I don't wear a helmet while hunting.Then again,when I am hunting,I am travelling at a much slower rate of speed,and I don't take the chances that I would when trail riding.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM

So you guys talking about STARS being dispatched........

Are they still going to come when I shatter a femur or crush some ribs when my 600 lb machine decides to sit on me? Maybe we should pad the bush in foam rubber and start building quads out of jello.

For the record, I wear a helmet. Not because of rules or laws, but because I choose to, though I may stop, it really gets in the way of drinking beer.