Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Default quality jigs

hey all last nite i was fishing travers and had a good day. the bad thing is i lost alot of tackle, some were by pike with no leader. my issue is i have a impulsive tendancy to buy tons of gear but some of the jigs i bought throughout the years became an issue meaning i would get a bite and i set the hook and fight the fish for a few seconds and they spit the hook and so i thought. i go to rebait the hook and i notice the ball jigs i had on snapped right where the curve is on the hook. not once but multiple times. my first guess was maybe it was a cheap quality jig but when it happened very often on this trip i was wondering do hooks go brittle if they sit unused ? i normally grab variety packs and sizes of JIMS JIGS, whats a good quality jig manufacturer?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM

northlands makes a good gaulity product
Owner makes one of the best
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Do you use a file on your barbs and the tip of the file is hitting down on the bend?
Do you have a stiff rod and bring it back too hard or fast when you get a strike?

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Matzuo
Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 PM

i ussually pinch the barbs with needle nose plyers and my rod i use is a medium action berkley rod.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM

you using mono and how deep of water?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Strongest jigs I have used are slow poke jigs. Smack jigs are also very strong but I dont believe they are available any more.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hey all last nite i was fishing travers and had a good day. the bad thing is i lost alot of tackle, some were by pike with no leader. my issue is i have a impulsive tendancy to buy tons of gear but some of the jigs i bought throughout the years became an issue meaning i would get a bite and i set the hook and fight the fish for a few seconds and they spit the hook and so i thought. i go to rebait the hook and i notice the ball jigs i had on snapped right where the curve is on the hook. not once but multiple times. my first guess was maybe it was a cheap quality jig but when it happened very often on this trip i was wondering do hooks go brittle if they sit unused ? i normally grab variety packs and sizes of JIMS JIGS, whats a good quality jig manufacturer?

PM sent
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
PM sent

haahhhaahahhhaa....Wagg is in the bag
Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
haahhhaahahhhaa....Wagg is in the bag
?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Perhaps I've just been lucky but I've always done well with just the jigs out of the bulk bins at TFH or WSS. I've had them bend really bad when hung up on a log or something else bad, but I've never snapped one off.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
jims jiggs is awsome works great
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM

i am using trilene xl 6lb test, not sure of the depth. i sometimes have them break off at the barb too when pinching the barbs.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

I'd reccomend you to buy a mOld and some good quality hooks.
Eagle claw 570,630 should solve all your problems.

What size hook do you normaly use?

Last edited by jeprli; 05-27-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:57 PM

I have snapped the shanks on Jim's jigs alot and won't buy anymore. Look into northland, fin tech, matzuo, and lindy jigs. There is also a guy name Barry that fishes the SAWT and makes jigs. He can be found on kijiji and has a ton of different styles and colors.

I think his company is "fishing jigs and things" on kijiji. I have bought a bunch from him and will be buying more when I need some.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 PM

yeah right now its kinda trail and error for me as all of my jigs are mixed in together and i can't tell which ones are from what company. i definately will not buy any more of jims jigs.thanks for the info on the company for jig heads.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I have snapped the shanks on Jim's jigs alot and won't buy anymore. Look into northland, fin tech, matzuo, and lindy jigs. There is also a guy name Barry that fishes the SAWT and makes jigs. He can be found on kijiji and has a ton of different styles and colors.

I think his company is "fishing jigs and things" on kijiji. I have bought a bunch from him and will be buying more when I need some.
was using matzuo, was working great today
Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 AM

Bass Pro XPS jigs use owner hooks. I bought a bunch of last years models on clearance. Semi stand up jig with 3D eyes. Pretty decent for the price.