Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Default spider wire knots?

Hey guys, i have some spider wire line laying around and i know it has a thin diameter (8lb 0.009 vs trilene 8lb 0.010) I have tested the line, without any knots and it takes 8

but with a knot maybe 6, I have tried the clinch, surgeons loop, uni knot overhand knot, the trilene not and the palomar knot, none of which held

any good ones that you guys found worked?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:42 PM

If a palomar knot is not holding for you, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't think I've ever had one slip.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:47 PM

no no no

they are not slipping, they break, the line is not able to maintain its strength when it kinks over i guess every time it breaks at the knot or in the knot so ...
Old 05-29-2011, 03:06 PM

I thought the Palomar knot was pretty close to 100% braking strength. Could be they way you are tying them or possibly the line itself. Most braids seem to outperform their stated breaking strength by a considerable margin. 10 lb fireline for instance will cut your arm off before it will ever break.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 PM

oh, i forgot to tell

its a mono

so ...

but yeah i suppose i could have tied a bad knot or the line could have been fatigued from my testing
Old 05-29-2011, 03:40 PM

If the lines been lying around in the sun it rots quickly. I always use a bowline knot,not the conventonal fishing knot but I've had good luck with it.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

The Palomar knot is the best knot for spider wire and I use it always. I used to have the same problem wish slippage on that type of line until I tied a double loop knot on the tag. That jambs the line when it tries to slip past the Palomar knot. Try that and I think you will find your problems gone. If the line breaks then it is rotten. That doesn't happen very often though. Not with that line.