Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 10:02 AM

Default What are the regs? Thoughts?

Okay looking for some clarity or thoughts. There is a stocked trout lake I am looking to clarify the regs for. In the fishing regs the general regs for the zone are 3 trout and open May 15 to March 31, however since this is a stocked lake the general regs for stocked lakes is 5 trout open all year. Any changes to regs for stocked lakes are listed in the tables for the zone. This lake is not listed in the tables for special regs, therefore I would assume it would follow the general regs for stocked lakes. The caveat here is that this lake is not listed as a stocked lake on pg 16 of the regs which is odd. It is shown on the map of the zone it is in preceding the regs as a stocked lake though. Since i disagreed with a buddy who thought the regs were 3 and i thought it was 5 I called Alberta Fish and Game. They tried to tell me the regs were 3 trout and open from May 15 to March 31 because that is what is listed on the website albertafishingguide.com. I said wait, your are using albertafishingguide.com to tell me the regs when on the website it has a disclaimer that it may not be accurate and check the actual fishing regs for legal regs? She then asked me how I knew it was a stocked lake, I said well its stocked every other year with non-native trout what else could it be. Anyway after expressing my thoughts she admitted she didnt know what the regs were and would have some get back to me. This was weeks ago and haven't heard a peep.

Any thoughts and the regs or what they should be?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Not sure where the confusion is. Regs for any area state:

Quote:
● If a ES1 lake, reservoir, river, stream or species is not listed, follow the default regulations below.
● General regulation stocked trout lakes are listed here.
So if it is 3 in which ever area, it is 3 and a possession limit of 5.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM

Is this lake Named under the stocked lakes section? If so then stocked lake regs apply. If not then specific or general limits apply. Just because a lake is stocked does not make it regulated under the "stocked lake" unless it is listed as one.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM

Well on page 16 it states "Some stocked waterbodies are managed as Quality stocked fisheries and have specific regulations. These waterbodies are listed in the watershed Units regulations tables"

My issue was a stocked lake not listed on page 16 but no listed in the tables for the regulation for that zone. i.e Lily, Gap, Allstones all have specific regs and are listed in the tables but are not on page 16.

Any rate I did get in touch with someone from ASRD and they admitted it was an error on their part and it should be specified in the table for the zone and they will add it to the online regs.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmethem View Post
Well on page 16 it states "Some stocked waterbodies are managed as Quality stocked fisheries and have specific regulations. These waterbodies are listed in the watershed Units regulations tables"
Any QSF lake will have specific signs for the water bodies and will have different regs from the General ones such as closures, size limits, bag limits and bait bans. They are pretty meticulous about this and the only time a QSF lake won't have signs is when some yahoo tears them down....looking at you Beaver Lake.

J