Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 03:28 PM

Default If Len Thompson is listening,...

Sure be nice if there was a single hook included in the package as well as the treble hook like some Blue Fox spoons do. I'd have no trouble paying a little more.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM
Banned

Why not just add one pretty simple
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM

I think they do, saw a 5 pack with single hooks at Walmart.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM

I do but I bought a couple Blue Fox spoons and they came with the option of a single hook. It also might encourage some to move away from using treble hooks. Haven't seen Lens with single hooks I'll have to shop around next time.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators View Post
I do but I bought a couple Blue Fox spoons and they came with the option of a single hook. It also might encourage some to move away from using treble hooks. Haven't seen Lens with single hooks I'll have to shop around next time.
Never seen a Len Thompson with a single either and I believe it would be wise to give options like blue fox. I actually know some tackle shops in BC won’t hand spinners or spoons that don’t have single hook options because all rivers and streams are single hook only

Would be a smart move by Len Thompson in my opinion and you could always contact them

I have caught lots of fish on both Len Thompson’s and the blue fox matrix but honestly if I am going on a trip to a single hook only are odds are I buy the matrix over the Len Thompson before I go
Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Sure be nice if there was a single hook included in the package as well as the treble hook like some Blue Fox spoons do. I'd have no trouble paying a little more.
dimple series has them....a treble attached and a single spare too

send them a email and maybe they will start packaging them all like that.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2020, 05:38 PM

Default single hook

I haven't had a treble hook in the tackle box for going on 30 years or more. I honestly don't think I've caught any less fish.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:39 PM

They are active on social media and instagram. I'll forward this link to give them the idea.

Len Thompson does believe the spoon gets swallowed much deeper when using single hooks. But there is no actual facts. They do Have a chart on which single hooks to use if you do choose to swap them out. They currently use eagle claw trebles right now. But lets say if you want to swap out for your own Siwash hooks you have a choice of any brand you prefer. So its not so bad just buying it ourselves.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
They are active on social media and instagram. I'll forward this link to give them the idea.

Len Thompson does believe the spoon gets swallowed much deeper when using single hooks. But there is no actual facts. They do Have a chart on which single hooks to use if you do choose to swap them out. They currently use eagle claw trebles right now. But lets say if you want to swap out for your own Siwash hooks you have a choice of any brand you prefer. So its not so bad just buying it ourselves.
Honestly I agree a single can be swallowed deeper and when fish are aggressive taking lures deep a barbless treble is better. I actually prefer the singles holding ability over a treble though and find them better on light bites

Time and a place for both when you learn the differences and how to apply them in different situations
Old 06-29-2020, 05:56 PM

I also prefer the single for most applications, hooks up more securely, less complex surgery when you get one that swallows it and easier to store with less tangles in the tackle tray.

The trick is getting a heavy and large enough single to keep the action relatively close to the intended design.

Also a single hook that's too small might get swallowed down too far. Using big singles, I have not had this happen too often.

A treble also sucks when you get a frisky flopper and death roller in a net ..... gawd I hate that.

From my perspective, and my observation, seems a single is safer for the fish.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Having tried switching out hooks on the Len Thompsons, its a bit tricky to change to a single and still maintain the factory action. I mean, yes they still wobble and they still catch fish a lot of the time, but they kind of lose that magic ability to pull off awesome catches when everything else is just "meh". I use a combination of single hooks and various soft plastic trailers, and with a lot of experimenting I've come up with some combinations that are very close to the factory wobble. I've only ever been able to get the 1/2 oz model to work really well with only a single and no trailer though, and the hook I use looks huge on those little spoons.

Anyhow, I think the folks at Len Thompson tried this and had the same trouble. They are quite proud of that action, they know its their strength, and they don't want to mess with it. The Dimpled series spoons are much less picky, and they do include a single hook with them, but I've never found them to be quite as effective as the originals. If you want a Len Thompson with a single, they are a good option though.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-29-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 PM

They already offer them.
https://shoplenthompson.ca/collections/single-hooks

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-29-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Well this sure solves everything lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 PM

Thanks for posting the link. Lens are definitely my go to lure. Top quality durable finish and the action never seems to change no matter how many fish it lands. I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference in action on the spoons I've swapped out the treble for the single hook. I find barbless single hooks do less damage to the mouth and are much easier to remove and release fish in the water. I'll have to check out the Fishing hole for the single hook spoons.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link. Lens are definitely my go to lure. Top quality durable finish and the action never seems to change no matter how many fish it lands. I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference in action on the spoons I've swapped out the treble for the single hook. I find barbless single hooks do less damage to the mouth and are much easier to remove and release fish in the water. I'll have to check out the Fishing hole for the single hook spoons.
Or order them directly......something to look for

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not arguing that single hooks are beneficial, I run them on everything that I possibly can. That said, I keep a few unaltered Len Thompsons kicking around, and some days I think it makes a difference.

Best combinations I've come up with are a 3/0 siwash hook on the 00 size, or the same hook with a 3" twister tail on the #1 and 2 sizes. The 0 size I can never seem to get quite right, its either rolling over too easy, or not wobbling quite properly. The dimpled spoons don't really seem to care what you put on them.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM

No offence to Len Thompson lures , they are a good product but honestly I don’t see a big difference in the action between it and say a lucky strike spoon ( also a Canadian lure company) when it comes to lure action. The Len Thompson’s are heavier gauge material but I do really like the perch pattern spoons by Lucky Strike it’s always been my go to and I keep a stock in my box always.
Again , not discounting LenThompsons Product. I will say that Len Thompson probably has better QC than Lucky Strike.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
No offence to Len Thompson lures , they are a good product but honestly I don’t see a big difference in the action between it and say a lucky strike spoon ( also a Canadian lure company) when it comes to lure action. The Len Thompson’s are heavier gauge material but I do really like the perch pattern spoons by Lucky Strike it’s always been my go to and I keep a stock in my box always.
Again , not discounting LenThompsons Product. I will say that Len Thompson probably has better QC than Lucky Strike.
The fish in the lakes I fish seem to know the difference. For a while I was playing with the Lucky Strikes more because I could retrieve them a little slower when I was fishing from shore or over shallow rock bars, problem was, for all my logic the Len Thompsons almost always caught way more fish.

That said, Lucky Strike does make some good spoons. I use the Warden's Worry, and Gator spoons quite a bit... both are more expensive than Len Thompsons though, and neither produces as consistently.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I'm not arguing that single hooks are beneficial, I run them on everything that I possibly can. That said, I keep a few unaltered Len Thompsons kicking around, and some days I think it makes a difference.

Best combinations I've come up with are a 3/0 siwash hook on the 00 size, or the same hook with a 3" twister tail on the #1 and 2 sizes. The 0 size I can never seem to get quite right, its either rolling over too easy, or not wobbling quite properly. The dimpled spoons don't really seem to care what you put on them.
It’s all weight related match the weight and you will not see a difference
Old 06-30-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It’s all weight related match the weight and you will not see a difference
Its also related to drag, balancing the weight and drag with some spoons is easy. With Len Thompsons it is trickier than most, though not impossible. In my experience you end up using an abnormally large single, which is why I generally go to plastic trailers after a certain point, and I suspect its also why LT has been slow to offer a single hooked option on their originals.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Its also related to drag, balancing the weight and drag with some spoons is easy. With Len Thompsons it is trickier than most, though not impossible. In my experience you end up using an abnormally large single, which is why I generally go to plastic trailers after a certain point, and I suspect its also why LT has been slow to offer a single hooked option on their originals.
Drag between a single and a treble is insignificant when it comes to action. Adding soft plastics far more likely to change the hydrodynamics then a hook swap. I have swapped hooks on them with no issues to action fishing for lakers. Don’t use them in the weeds so no comment there

No offense but when it comes to lure design and action Len Thompson’s are far from complicated. Solid quality effective spoons but not complicated