Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 10:57 AM

Default A Word About Posting Youtube Video Brouhaha

Hey folks. Pixel and I were out at retriever hunt tests all weekend getting ribbons with our young dogs. I read bits and pieces of two threads on Youtubers, and heard from people via text and PMs.

Anyhow, here is the deal from a moderator's perspective...

First and foremost, this is an outdoors forum whose intent is to bring in as many people to outdoor pursuits as possible, by whatever means are possible. If that is by youtube videos, give er. Maybe tone down the hyperbolic titles, and the number of times you mention the names of the equipment you are using as it can be reminiscent of cheesy Wildtv shows, but by all means post those videos. I watch most all of them, enjoy them greatly, and appreciate that someone has taken a lot of time to edit and share them for my enjoyment.

Second, if you don't wanna watch them don't watch them. If you watch them and don't like them, move on. No need to leave a negative comment. Simple. Youtube videos are no different than posting pictures. We sure as heck won't overlook negative comments toward pics members post, so we are gonna be the same with videos. Remember, we want to be a friendly, welcoming forum. I don't like the cost of beef tenderloin at Costco, but I don't waste my time or energy complaining to the manager, as that doesn't change anything. Keep your complaints to yourself.

Third, I have no idea is a guy can make a wooden nickel off Youtube videos, but it sure as heck won't be because of traffic generated off AO. We don't have enough active members to make anything go viral. Look at it this way, I used to buy and sell used guns a fair bit. Most often I would make a buck or two on the deals. Nobody complains about that, so why would we worry about a guy making a few cents off a video?

Finally, and this is important, every person that has posted fishing vids are good dudes. I have conversed with every one of them I can remember, in person - via pm - via text, and all have been great fellas. Remember that before you think about giving anyone a blast publicly. If you have an issue with someone, by all means send them a politely worded pm, but taking it public never ends well.

Covid and its fallout has us all on edge. So, let's all take a deep breath and move on from this issue. Have a good one. sns2
Old 06-29-2020, 11:12 AM

This should clear the air

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM

Yup. Bang on.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:51 PM

Excellent direction sns2. Appreciate your efforts.

BW
Old 06-29-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Excellent direction sns2. Appreciate your efforts.

BW
X2
Old 06-29-2020, 06:19 PM

Well said! Tight lines!😁
Old 06-29-2020, 10:56 PM

sounds good to me. Id hate to have your "job" with all us weirdos on here

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-29-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
sounds good to me. Id hate to have your "job" with all us weirdos on here

Hey... I resemble that ,remark!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Hey... I resemble that ,remark!
oh yah? I have a certificate!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 12:39 PM

As someone who has regularly posted YouTube videos (Angling Spiders), thanks for this topic. I can tell you it definitely isn't about the money. For anyone who doesn't know, in order to make money off of YouTube you need to have a minimum of 1000 subscribers at at least 4000 hours watched in the past 12 months. No one is getting that kind of traffic off of this forum. Even if you do hit the threshold and start getting ad revenue, unless you really get big you are looking at making hundreds of dollars a year.

As you said, just like pictures it is another way to express yourself and share your day fishing. I can also say that it is very refreshing to read this, because there are other forums where the criticism is very harsh.

Last edited by Spudnut; 06-30-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudnut View Post
As someone who has regularly posted YouTube videos (Angling Spiders), thanks for this topic. I can tell you it definitely isn't about the money. For anyone who doesn't know, in order to make money off of YouTube you need to have a minimum of 1000 subscribers at at least 4000 hours watched in the past 12 months. No one is getting that kind of traffic off of this forum. Even if you do hit the threshold and start getting ad revenue, unless you really get big you are looking at making hundreds of dollars a year.

As you said, just like pictures it is another way to express yourself and share your day fishing. I can also say that it is very refreshing to read this, because there are other forums where the criticism is very harsh.
OHHH SO you're the angling spider lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife