Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Powder stored in the truck in high temperature

Hey guys. Was just wondering about storing 4 lbs of rl 22 in my truck for about 10 hours In this heatwave ... with temperatures getting in the mid 30’s here in grande prairie, I was just curious of the safety aspect . I’m heading home for days off and wanna do some new loads , and I can’t take the powder on site before I head home lol.. have to leave it in the truck . Think it would be ok ?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:38 AM

Contact the powder manufacture
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 AM

The deterioration of powder is directly related to its age and the temperature it is stored at. Given the (relatively) short duration of the event it should be fine. I would be interested to hear what he manufacturer says.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Buy a cheap styrofoam cooler, throw an ice pack in it and seal it up
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Don't put your powder on ice cause it will pick up moisture ,just put in a dry cooler and it will be fine,hell in Iraq the temp is 140 for weeks on end and it stored for years.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Don't put your powder on ice cause it will pick up moisture ,just put in a dry cooler and it will be fine,hell in Iraq the temp is 140 for weeks on end and it stored for years.
exactly.. don't put a warm powder container in a chest of ice, the cold ice on the outside of the can may make condensation on the inside of the powder can getting it wet, the opposite way a cold beer condenses on the outside on a hot day. Your powder will be fine in the heat for a while, I wouldn't leave it on the dash but wrap a coat or something around it and put it under the seat it will be fine.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
exactly.. don't put a warm powder container in a chest of ice, the cold ice on the outside of the can may make condensation on the inside of the powder can getting it wet, the opposite way a cold beer condenses on the outside on a hot day.
That's not how condensation works. In short, warm air has a higher carrying capacity for moisture, lower the temperature of air and the relative humidity of that air will rise until it surpasses it's carrying capacity and leaves the air as condensation. Ergo, warm air will condesate on a cold surface, such as a window pane, beer can, etc.

The inside of a sealed can will not condesate just because there's warmer or colder air outside of the can....now if there's a way for moisture to get into the canister the powder will obviously get wet, but not from condensation.

Now if you take jar of room temperature air, containing some moisture, say 40% humidity, and put it in the freezer, yes, the air in that jar will cool and thereby force the moisture in that air out as condensation.