Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Make sure your bipod is dug in so you can lean into it and load into your recoil pad. If you do this your consistency can increase, if your bipod is not loaded up, then its no better than any other rest.
Thanks for the tip, would it be better to angle the legs forward one notch?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 PM

Default Beauty

WOW thats one baaaadazz rig Kurt..AND you hunt with it!
Stands up And initiates the slow clap..
Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Thanks for the tip, would it be better to angle the legs forward one notch?
Ive never had an atlas, but i would think forward may dig in better. But the lockup mechanism is so strong that if it is giving good foot grip in vertical then that should be fine too. I was wanting to get an atlas just for the option of spiked feet. Maybe one day for me. The main goal is to get a consistent amount of pre load pressure for all your shooting. Then the gun will have the exact same amount and direction of recoil movement each shot.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Is this the newer GEN Atlas? I have one of the originals and there is to much movement/free play in the legs. The new Atlas bipods I have seen, have virtually no looseness or movement in the legs compared to mine. I went back to the Harris and shoot much more consistent than when using the Atlas. The Harris sure isn't as pretty as the Atlas but I'll take accuracy first.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Is this the newer GEN Atlas? I have one of the originals and there is to much movement/free play in the legs. The new Atlas bipods I have seen, have virtually no looseness or movement in the legs compared to mine. I went back to the Harris and shoot much more consistent than when using the Atlas. The Harris sure isn't as pretty as the Atlas but I'll take accuracy first.
This is not an Atlas, they are expensive

It's called a Riopod and I bought it off of amazon. It locks up solid, I'm really impressed with it. I believe it's an Atlas knockoff but it had rave reviews on amazon and YouTube.

It's such a good fake it even came in an Atlas box!

It has the exact same engraving in the aluminum as Atlas

And it has the quick detach like the Atlas. It's a solid piece of equipment and for $56 along with the $34 Caldwell picatany rail adapter I think it's a heck of a deal.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:41 AM

Cheap enough that's for sure. So there is no forward or backward movement in the legs? I could never get a consistent loading of my Atlas. I was ok out to 500 yds but any farther I would get vertical stringing. I also would always get one or two fliers when shooting groups at 100 yds. Problems went away when I went to the Harris. Wonder how they get away with these knock offs? Atlas box and engraving makes you wonder about patent laws. The Atals is a beautiful piece of machining but as you said they are EXPENSIVE!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Cheap enough that's for sure. So there is no forward or backward movement in the legs? I could never get a consistent loading of my Atlas. I was ok out to 500 yds but any farther I would get vertical stringing. I also would always get one or two fliers when shooting groups at 100 yds. Problems went away when I went to the Harris. Wonder how they get away with these knock offs? Atlas box and engraving makes you wonder about patent laws. The Atals is a beautiful piece of machining but as you said they are EXPENSIVE!
There is a slight wiggle in the leg, not quite 1/8" when they're not extended, but I'm not a competitive shooter or anything, my long range shooting consisted of a home made bench and a set of Caldwell sandbags. For $300 less, it's a great value.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
There is a slight wiggle in the leg, not quite 1/8" when they're not extended, but I'm not a competitive shooter or anything, my long range shooting consisted of a home made bench and a set of Caldwell sandbags. For $300 less, it's a great value.
Does the wobble go away if you slightly lean into it?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Does the wobble go away if you slightly lean into it?
Oh ya, I never noticed the wobble until I tried to wiggle it. It holds solid when I'm testing it out in my house though.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Banned

For anyone interested in the bipod it's a Riorand not Riopod, I was mistaken.

Here is a link to the YouTube review doing a side by side with the Atlas.

Being a nube to bipods it's hard to justify nearly $400 for one, and for all intents and purposes I don't see $300 extra in value with the Atlas over the Riorand, but again I haven't used a bipod so I can't tell the difference.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

Here's the link I forgot to add

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u4mR-EMrjyw

I just noticed that the Riorand bipod is actually better than the one in the video because it has a better quick detach mechanism, it also says Atlas on it which has to be worth an extra $100 for sure! Lol.

Advertised at 12.7oz it comes in almost right on target. Along with the Caldwell picatany adapter comes in at 15oz, I'm sure there are lighter adapters.

Long range rifle, I'm positive I will hit 1/2" moa with it just from what I've witnessed from my barrel break in with factory ammo, complete with 15x scope and bipod at 9lbs..... I'm happy with this setup so far (even with the muzzle broke!).

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.