Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 05:52 AM

Default What do you think?

Thinking of getting one of these UTVs. Thoughts?...

https://turplebros.ca/Can-Am-Side-by...eer-County-AB/
Old 02-27-2024, 06:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well you would be the coolest at hunting camp come fall!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2024, 06:27 AM

It looked interesting, until I saw the price, I almost sprayed my coffee on my laptop.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:02 AM

A buddy of mine has that very same one and tried to talk me into getting one, I rode around in his for an afternoon and decided it's great for trail riding in the desert, the cargo box is about the size of a small cooler, hard to get into and out of no place for a gun rack or boot so no good in hunting camp, for now I'll stick with my Yamaha Viking as it does everything I need it to @ 1/4 the price, bought mine in 2014 for $14K

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:33 AM

My dad owns some expensive can am UTV and it has treated him well
Old 02-27-2024, 07:40 AM

As a hunting buggy? Boy would you end up wearing a lot of mud riding in that thing......
Old 02-27-2024, 07:52 AM

Looks like a fun machine for the guy that can afford it. Still need to pay freight, pdi, gst and install a winch on it yet so it’ll be well over $60k. Can’t imagine the payments a kid that finances it would have. Should really blow the minds of the guys that can’t figure out why pickups are $70k plus.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:25 AM

Holy hell.. who is buying these things??

Or.i guess I should more correctly ask.. is any "NOT" mortgaging these things.. lol.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:01 AM

I can't afford it because I have to pay for the new crown land camping pass...
Old 02-27-2024, 09:04 AM

Somebody reinvented the VW dune buggy.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-27-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
As a hunting buggy? Boy would you end up wearing a lot of mud riding in that thing......
This emoji means "sarcasm"...hehe...

Hard to believe these things can get so expensive!
Old 02-27-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
This emoji means "sarcasm"...hehe...

Hard to believe these things can get so expensive!
People seem to have the money to buy them, so long as they are selling the prices will just continue higher. This emoji means "thinking"..hehe....:-)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:46 AM

Having owned one similar, they are just a go fast with no practical use. Trail riding sucked as the wheel base is greater than many bridges in the mountains would allow, so very limited in that aspect. I sold it and run my Rangers daily and enjoy there versatility way more than the go fasts.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 AM

Looks like could be fun with the 240 HP engine. I would take a loaded Defender over it anyday....JMO
Old 02-27-2024, 10:37 AM

Would be fun in the sand dunes of glamis.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Two words... Rocket ship!

Now, if you need a rocket ship to get to your fishing/hunting holes, what do the tags cost for that trip?

I looked at one of those a couple of years ago, but chose to stay with my 1000cc quad as it can get into tighter spots just about as fast but not anywhere close to the funds needed for that rocket ship..

J.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:25 PM

I feel such a "loser" buying an almost new Polaris Ranger 1000 for a cheapskate price of 13500 that meets all my needs. Could have a fleet of them for the price of the above one.

As an aside, back in the 70's I worked for a SkiDoo distributor and out of about 80 dealers, Turple Brothers in Red Deer were a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited by Trochu; 02-27-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:

My first thoughts were Mid-life Crisis!

BW
Old 02-27-2024, 02:50 PM

All my neighbor's instead of riding horses are getting old and fat buying quads and side by sides. I think they are nuts. You are spending all this money for something you can't even drive on the highway!
For a fraction of that kind of money I could buy a real truck or better yet a jeep. I could build a old truck or jeep for way less. For that kind of money you could even buy a small farm tractor. At least then you could drive around it down the highway and do other things with it. If I was going to buy a off road rig I would look hard at a argo. That's what we used guiding moose hunters. You can pack a lot of cargo on a argo across muskeg
Old 02-27-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
All my neighbor's instead of riding horses are getting old and fat buying quads and side by sides. I think they are nuts. You are spending all this money for something you can't even drive on the highway!
For a fraction of that kind of money I could buy a real truck or better yet a jeep. I could build a old truck or jeep for way less. For that kind of money you could even buy a small farm tractor. At least then you could drive around it down the highway and do other things with it. If I was
going to buy a off road rig I would look hard at a argo.
That's what we used guiding moose hunters. You can
pack a lot of cargo on a argo across muskeg
Trucks and jeeps won't go where an atv or a sxs will, and they are way slower off road. Argos are extremely rough riding and slow. That being said, I would never spend that much on any atv or SxS.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:14 PM
Banned

Anything I cannot afford, I avoid.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Trucks and jeeps won't go where an atv or a sxs will, and they are way slower off road.
Just for fun, I thought I'd check the dimensions. I just typed Honda SxS and the Pioneer came up, so....

Honda Pioneer 1000 Trail:

Length: 120.4"
Width: 76.1"
Height: 76.1"

1995 Jeep YJ:

Length: 151.9"
Width: 66"
Height: 71.9"

I'd say they are pretty comparable size wise. One big advantage the SxS has is weight. However, if one spent $10k on the jeep, then put another $20k into it, which is still cheaper than the SxS, I suspect there would be few situations the SxS could go that the Jeep wouldn't.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:44 PM

I've always had older Argos, nothing but frustration and problems. Sold my last one on Saturday. The new ones are probably better but not going to spend that much money to find out. Between all the ATV's I've had I haven't tried one of those 1/4 ton Japanese 4x4 units, nowadays priced around 12 to 15, probably would have suited my needs around the farm much better, though not suited for trails or muskeg obviously.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Trucks and jeeps won't go where an atv or a sxs will, and they are way slower off road. Argos are extremely rough riding and slow. That being said, I would never spend that much on any atv or SxS.
I could build a buggy for cheap that would go where sxs will go.
A built jeep or even a built truck if it will fit on trail would be fraction of cost of sxs
Horses are best 4x4 ever.
Muskeg is problem for all of the above but a argo with winch is answer for north country. Slow yes but we are talking about hunting. With quads you can't haul cargo across muskeg. You just sink in. We had a trailer behind argo and with the winch I could really truck a lot of weight with it.
For buggies you can make your own frame and take a front wheel drive car drive train and mount sideways so basically you front left and right wheel axle shafts become your front and rear driveshafts.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I've always had older Argos, nothing but frustration and problems. Sold my last one on Saturday. The new ones are probably better but not going to spend that much money to find out. Between all the ATV's I've had I haven't tried one of those 1/4 ton Japanese 4x4 units, nowadays priced around 12 to 15, probably would have suited my needs around the farm much better, though not suited for trails or muskeg obviously.
Unless you are tiny you can't fit in those Japan mini trucks
Old 02-27-2024, 04:47 PM

I guess its worth owning one if you own a farm or live near trails that you can just jump in and ride every day . .I do find a lot of them are to loud for hunting.
I find my self watching moose or even deer that i don't have a tag for . Then in the far off distance i hear the side x sides or these HP quads coming km away .
The game just starts moving in the bush . then 5 mins later i can see the side x side come and he's still km away lol

For having fun I rather have a dirt bike .
Buts its always nice to have a shop full of different toys !
Old 02-27-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I knew someone that had four atv tires/ wheels in the
back, drove to where the road ended, then swapped out
the wheels and tires, and the little truck went through a lot on atv tires. It wasn't overly roomy, but it had a heater
and and windshield wipers, so it was much better in the rain or in the cold than an atv or SxS.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:

My Jeep will go anywhere a sxs will go. Did the sxs thing and sold it and bought the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweldd View Post
My Jeep will go anywhere a sxs will go. Did the sxs thing and sold it and bought the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The smaller SxS like a Rhino, are only about 55" wide, most jeeps are quite a bit wider, so they won't fit where a small SxS will.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:04 PM

Most uncomfortable piece of junk ever made ,hard to get in with heaver clothing, no room for anything in cab, motor behind your mellon, loud . Fun for playing around for kids . Was in one for 2 miles and got out and walked .

There's better options for hunting buggies ,my buddy got one and 2 weeks later traded it .