Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2015, 03:48 PM

Default TAS Motors Ice Auger

Took out my dads old auger (thing has to be from the 70's or 80's) and I'm looking for a bit of info on it such as fuel ratio, etc. Can't find much about it online. Hasn't been started in probably 30+ years..anything I should do before trying to crank it?.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:50 AM

From what I found is that Tanaka took them over years ago. Try that search. I would fog the engine before trying to start. Seafoam in the gas.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Default Tas an Tanaka

Great old auger I have a couple........
keep the carb clean, end of season run it out of gas and put it away.
I mix about 35 to1 it burns a lil blue but never had a problem.......
replaced the recoil many times on both of them.
The Tas must be kept upright because the carb will pour fuel out later on the Tanaka can be kept in any position and wont leak. which is great for packing in a plane.
A small engine parts shop on Argyle road carries parts for them. Sorry cant remember the name of the business...
sst
Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 AM

X2 on them being terrific augers. I have a tanaka and it is reliable on cold starts up to -35 no problem. As well as cuts just as fast if not faster than any jiffy i have raced, i have an 8 inch on mine and i wudnt doubt it wud spin a 10 inch without any problems
Old 11-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I have run a Tanaka with a Nils auger and cutterhead on it. Using Opti 2 oil at prescribed mix rate, with Shell premium gasoline, it will outdig any other auger out on the lake. Put it away properly in the spring, and usually with two tugs on the rope, it flashes. Using the Opti oil, there is no smoke in the shack, or oil puke in the muffler. Great combination!!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:41 AM

I run a Tanaka with a 8"husky(mora) leg. About 12 years old now. Never been in to the shop. Only changed spark plug once. Starts after a couple pulls after summer storage (no gas). My dads is over 30 years old, same thing, never been into the shop and runs like a top.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:09 PM

The proper mix ratio would likely be 40:1 for that unit.

I have some very "vintage" Tanaka / TAS equipment and they still run perfectly.

I would likely change the spark plug and clean the air filter sponge .... it won't likely need any more attention than that.

Premium fuel, 40:1 mix, Seafoam and you are set for another 30 years.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Got her running and cleaned up! At first we having some issues with the choke, but we cleaned the hell out of the Carb and now its purring like a kitten. Gas/oil ratio is actually 25-30:1, found that once the label was cleaned haha Bit of a before and after photo below. The before picture was actually already cleaned up a bit, it was gunked up pretty bad. Quite a bit of sanding to get all the rust off. Plasti-dip on the handle to cut down on the cold and give a bit of grip and protection:

Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
Great old auger I have a couple........
keep the carb clean, end of season run it out of gas and put it away.
I mix about 35 to1 it burns a lil blue but never had a problem.......
replaced the recoil many times on both of them.
The Tas must be kept upright because the carb will pour fuel out later on the Tanaka can be kept in any position and wont leak. which is great for packing in a plane.
A small engine parts shop on Argyle road carries parts for them. Sorry cant remember the name of the business...
sst
Funny you mention that...we were having a ton of issues with the Carb ejecting fuel through a tiny pin hole right on the side of the carb. The problem was there is some kind of needle valve screw in the carb that was plugged and as soon as we unplugged the hole in that screw it stopped leaking. The fuel wasn't getting through that hole in the screw and the pressure was building up in the carb, which in turn forced the fuel through that tiny hole.