Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Well, I just got myself a Savage 64 at the BMO center today. I am more interested in hunting grouse right now (Am Mi'Kamq, harvesting rights) for me and my mom to put cheap meat in the freezer.

I haven't really had anybody to me be able to show me the ropes so I am a bit lost. I do have the ihunter app to help me out, other than that am not sure were to go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Not sure if Mi'kamq have hunting and or fishing rights in Alberta. I am pretty sure you have to be a member of one of the Treaties here in Alberta.

If you have no idea where to go you may want to contact the Local Band closest to the area you want to go harvesting in and see where their land rights are. Then ask if it is ok for you to hunt the area.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
This has to be a troll, nobody is driving from Calgary out to Mclean to shoot some grouse for "cheap meat" chicken is a lot cheaper at the grocery store.
This is the same clown that’s been ridiculed on other gun sites... has no idea and refuses to take any practical advice...

I’m surprised to hear he actually has a PAL.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Not sure if Mi'kamq have hunting and or fishing rights in Alberta. I am pretty sure you have to be a member of one of the Treaties here in Alberta.

If you have no idea where to go you may want to contact the Local Band closest to the area you want to go harvesting in and see where their land rights are. Then ask if it is ok for you to hunt the area.
I do, there's been case of a Saskatchewan First Nation accidentally crossing the border and harvesting in the seventies and being charged with poaching. The court upheld that he had harvesting rights with Alberta (funny enough where my band is we di not have harvesting rights). Been hunting already with another member of my band around Fort Mac. Anyway, why I wanted to go hunting so badly is that I am Qalipu and do not live within 20km of a Mi'Kamq community so I would be losing my First Nation status per the 2013 supplementary agreement. Unless the current lawsuits in court win and I meet the new criteria.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I do, there's been case of a Saskatchewan First Nation accidentally crossing the border and harvesting in the seventies and being charged with poaching. The court upheld that he had harvesting rights with Alberta (funny enough where my band is we di not have harvesting rights). Been hunting already with another member of my band around Fort Mac. Anyway, why I wanted to go hunting so badly is that I am Qalipu and do not live within 20km of a Mi'Kamq community so I would be losing my First Nation status per the 2013 supplementary agreement. Unless the current lawsuits in court win and I meet the new criteria.

So based on all this tehitiruc and crap you figure it's your right to hunt any animal or bird whenever and however no matter WHAT damage you do to the existing population ?
You are done steward of the land - NOT!
Get a life and learn about what it takes to sustain an animal and bird population before you go off shooting birds and animal any time you think you should be able to just because you have some misonceptiobsbout wgat it who you are or what your real rights are - You have obligations as well and one of them is to treat animals with respect ,
Your attitude shows you know nothing about respecting animals and birds .
Cat
Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So based on all this tehitiruc and crap you figure it's your right to hunt any animal or bird whenever and however no matter WHAT damage you do to the existing population ?
You are done steward of the land - NOT!
Get a life and learn about what it takes to sustain an animal and bird population before you go off shooting birds and animal any time you think you should be able to just because you have some misonceptiobsbout wgat it who you are or what your real rights are - You have obligations as well and one of them is to treat animals with respect ,
Your attitude shows you know nothing about respecting animals and birds .
Cat
1. Obviously you don't you know me so you can accuse me of things I'm not doing. It's not rhetoric, but, the truth and the law. If you don't believe me go research it.

2. Would people read? Like really I just said I will not hunt them. I was actually pretty content with finding a little spot sitting down and just plinking with 22.

3. Here's an example, I can hunt caribou legally, but, I know Fish and Wildlife have ask us not to hunt them due to their population. So when we saw two of them well hunting in Fort McMurray. Just let them be and carried on. Want to keep the peace and preserve the population is my mindset.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
1. Obviously you don't you know me so you can accuse me of things I'm not doing. It's not rhetoric, but, the truth and the law. If you don't believe me go research it.

2. Would people read? Like really I just said I will not hunt them. I was actually pretty content with finding a little spot sitting down and just plinking with 22.

3. Here's an example, I can hunt caribou legally, but, I know Fish and Wildlife have ask us not to hunt them due to their population. So when we saw two of them well hunting in Fort McMurray. Just let them be and carried on. Want to keep the peace and preserve the population is my mindset.

You said yourself you want to go shoot chickens this spring.
Nice try but your deflection does not work here, we all know what you THINK you have a right to .
I promised myself i would stay out of junk threads like this a long time ago but people like you really anger me because I have hunted for over 40 years with REAL natives who actually respect wildlife and their way of life and know more than just "it's my right as a status native" crap!
I'm one here, you can do whatever it is you think you have a right to.
Cat
Old 04-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Even if assume that the rights and shooting chicken at this time of year is all good and dandy, the idea of shooting chicken as a cheap meat alternative is pretty ridiculous. Also, I have never heard anyone of hunting chicken to feel the freezer. If these are the only options, bunnies, as someone had already suggested, is definitely the way to go. But yeah...
Old 04-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
1. Obviously you don't you know me so you can accuse me of things I'm not doing.
It's hard to tell what you're doing/not doing/wanting to do/not wanting to do, when you keep changing it. Please get away from where you'll impact the populations of species I'd like to hunt in an ethical manner.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
This has to be a troll, nobody is driving from Calgary out to Mclean to shoot some grouse for "cheap meat" chicken is a lot cheaper at the grocery store.
No I'm not trolling. I didn't specifically drive to Fort McMurray to hunt grouse. I was invited there to hunt Moose/deer a few months ago and if we happen to across grouse he had a 22 to take them.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You said yourself you want to go shoot chickens this spring.
Nice try but your deflection does not work here, we all know what you THINK you have a right to .
I promised myself i would stay out of junk threads like this a long time ago but people like you really anger me because I have hunted for over 40 years with REAL natives who actually respect wildlife and their way of life and know more than just "it's my right as a status native" crap!
I'm one here, you can do whatever it is you think you have a right to.
Cat
Quite honestly I am with George Carlin on this one when it comes to rights (https://youtu.be/gaa9iw85tW8?t=264) as I have been a threat of losing them for a long time.

As for "You said yourself you want to go shoot chickens this spring.", can't people change their mind when they're told something?:

"Bushrat: You want to shot grouse at this time of year?? Your willing to shoot some of the remaining grouse that survived winter when they are soon to mate and reproduce the year's new crop of birds.......whats wrong with you?"

My response: "Nothing. If that is what the issue is I will not hunt them."

I'm trying to gain knowledge, because, I don't have that much. I haven't hunted very much do my situation growing up. I'm trying to get into it now that is accessible to me and I want mentors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
It's hard to tell what you're doing/not doing/wanting to do/not wanting to do, when you keep changing it. Please get away from where you'll impact the populations of species I'd like to hunt in an ethical manner.
People are giving me advice. I actually want to give thank you for the suggestion of hunting rabbits. I kinda of had it in my head maybe to do, but, I have never done it before. So researching the subject a bit more I've come to the conclusion I think it's an excellent idea. I've been trying to get my cousin's new husband to take me out because he has the vehicle for it and is the only one in my family that hunts, just that he's a busy guy.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Thank you! Awesome looking place, I'll definitely clean up after myself becasue I want to keep it looking that way.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
This is the same clown that’s been ridiculed on other gun sites... has no idea and refuses to take any practical advice...

I’m surprised to hear he actually has a PAL.
Yes, yes I actually did despite being high functioning autistic with a special interest in firearms and not a f****** clown.

2 years after this post has been made I finally have the bravery to say that s*** and having these words constantly in the back of my head telling me I wasn't normal.

Last edited by DireWolf; 03-18-2020 at 01:40 AM.