Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Default Lac La Nonne

Heading out tomorrow with some friends to fish for pike and walleye. I have fished the lake in the summer and done well but when I have fished the lake in the winter I have had very limited success. Any suggestions on location to start would be much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM

Try on the southside of the island about 75 feet from the weed bed. In the very east bay by the boat launch try on the northside again about 75-100 feet out from the weed bed. Also on the south west side of the lake there is a point on the last cove, we call it rocky point, it is very deep in that area and there usually are large pike.

Hope this helps..
Old 01-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default hmm

never seen a pike over 25 inches come out of that place. If they are there few and far bewteen.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
-NDN-

decent perch almost right in front of Kildeer, at the drop, a few walleyes too.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

hmm thats wierd because over the 50+times i fished that lake during winter during past 4-5 years i've only i've only seen like 3 perch and only heard of one or 2 being caught. It use to be good for perch along time ago before the walleye started taking over.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
-NDN-

ever fish the creek mouth near Kildeer?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default yah

its ussually weeded over by mid summer and winter there only pike and a few walleye there.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM

We have a cabin there, and really hammered the walley this summer, but it is a different lake in the winter. NDN is right with most guys fishing for perch near Kildeer. We also fished across form Kildeer on a weed point. It's almost like a small island of cattails that comes to a point. We use to catch perch there in the winter, but later in the season. It's been a while since we've connected with good perch at this lake, but they are there. Let me know how you guys makeout. I'm planning to head up to my cabin in a week.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Simpatico how did it go ? Whitetail7 where is your cabin ?? We've being going out there since I was 3. That's 30 years, I'm getting old !! We are at the very east end of the lake. I have never tried the mouth of the creek for perch, I will next year...

The Walleye were great last year. We could troll on our pontoon boat and my kids would catch walleye everytime we went out.. My daughter (7 years old) caught a 4.5 pound Walleye .. My wife had one even larger that she lost at the boat.. It's amazing how many more walleye that we catch compared to pike..

Probably take the kids out this weekend depending on how much the temp drops..
Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Take a look on killdeerbeachresort.com there are a couple 44 inch pike that have been pulled out of this lake. Also a few photos of perch catches...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 AM

Our cabin is on Crystina Beach. This is right next to Willowbend resort.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 AM

How's the lake doing now for clarity. The last time I was out there the water looked like pea soup. Had to scrub my boat down after

BH
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM

They water clarity varies depending on wind direction, and waves. When it's calm then the water seems to clear up, but when it's rough water then the lake seems to stir up a little. We fished more clear water this year then in the past.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 PM

First thanks to everyone for all the suggestions but unfortunately not much to report.

We got on the lake about 9:30 and we headed right over to Killdeer. One of the guys we were with had a AquaView so we could see exactly what was happening. The water clarity was really good as we were fishing in about 12 feet of water and we could see our hooks quite clearly. Not much action though. We ended up cataching 3 pike during the time we were out and we fished till about 3:30.

Out of all the fish that this lake has it was whitefish that we saw the most and they were actually big! They would come close to the hooks but they kept getting scared off by the fish cam.

Need a 4x4 as there were some good drifts out there. Definitely heading out again closer to the end of season to try for those whites!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Bloodhound, the lake clarity has been good the last 2 summers , no algae blooms like Pigeon. But it is Alberta so it is always green, but hasn't been pea soup for a couple years for sure.

The lake has always had a lot of big white fish.. There definetly is alot of walleye in the summer.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 AM

I grew up on that lake as I was only 12 miles away. Your right, there has always been huge whites in there. Back when my neighbour used to net it (long time ago) there was 10+ lbers in it. My fondest memmories of perch fishing as a kid were on LaNonne. We used to catch really nice perch there. I was very sad to see the state of the lake the last time out. Glad to hear it is getting better. I believe the problem was sewage leaking into the lake from old septic tanks of cabins. Might be just rumour but that was the story I heard.

BH
Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Actualy there are a number of reasons for the lakes condition. One reason was that they suspected the leaking sewage tanks from cabins, but that is only one of the minor ones. There are also some farms that back onto the lake. This is a source of fertilizer runoff, and the contaminated runoff of water that flows thru pastures (cow *****). To make matters worse the government removed a sluice gate that controlled trhe water level in the lake. This in combination with less water coming into the lake means lower water levels, less fresh water circulation, and more "junk" going into the lake = poor water quality. Just my two cents guys. The only reason I know this much is because some of my neighbours are involved with trying to sort out this stuff and determining the future of the lake.