Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 AM

Default Stream ID please

I am wondering the name of a Stream. Its on highway 3 after cowley and between cowley and lundbrek. Its on the left had side of the road if your heading west. Generally people park off the side of the highway and walk down to it. Its about half a kilometer or kilometer off the road and there is a house down there right on the stream. A guy at work went fishing there with a friend of his and said they were after browns. I hope somone knows what stream I am talking about.

The piece I am talking about wouldnt be this peice of the Crow would it?

the river between Lundbreck Falls and Hwy 3
Apr. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Slot-size limit 30 cm to 45 cm for Cutthroat, Rainbow and Brown Trout, only 1 may be longer than 45 cm and the other must be shorter than 30 cm, or both may be shorter; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
the river between Hwy 3 and the Cowley Bridge – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Slot-size limit 30 cm to 45 cm for Cutthroat, Rainbow and Brown Trout, only 1 may be longer than 45 cm and the other must be shorter than 30 cm, or both may be shorter; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

Last edited by Versatile; 01-10-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
jrs

The way i read your explanation I'd say you mean the Crowsnest River, their is browns down there, mostly rainbows and whitefish though. Last time i fished down that low on the Crow i hooked into a few massive bullies that managed to spit the hook. There's some springs that keep stretches of it open year round, hence the winter fishing opportunity. Later in the winter during Chinooks there can even be some dry fly hatches. I've only tried it once with no success in the winter (could see lots, was really bad weather). A good friend of mine tries it fairly often and does good, nymphs, streamers, have a few extremely tiny drys along. Not utilized very heavily during the winter as ice fishing seems way more popular. Not sure where he fishes exactly, i have ideas based on some pics i saw but i never asked specifics. Are you considering a trip?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM

That cant be the Crow because its on your right hand side if your heading west between Cowley and Lundbreck. I have never noticed a creek on the left hand side, but I am going to look now.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Wes is right, no stream between those 2 towns, you are thinking of the Crow after lundbreck (heading west). Rainbows, bulls, browns and cutthroats (in decreasing order of abundance) all in this stretch between lundbreck falls and the reservoir.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
jrs

I was thinking that's the only one between Cowley and Lundbreck falls, i don't have my southern maps on me but i can't imagine there being a fish filled creek there i haven't tried yet . There's a few small tribs i believe (may be slightly further upstream) but nothing that looks really "fishable". I should have mentioned that to explain my theory, long day.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM

my guess is that you are looking at the crow after lundbreck and before the turnoff for highway 22. at that point you cross it and the river is at your left for the first time. a popular spot for winter fishing is the burmis lake area. on warm winter days try a really small griffiths gnat for surface action otherwise us small midge patterns and san juan worms. the crow can be awesome during the winter. later

M
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 PM

I heard bull trout were extirpated from Lundbreck falls up...
Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 AM

Maybe it is after lundbreck I havent been there in well over a year so I am just going off of Memory but I thought it was before lundbreck.

JRS yes I am planning on a trip saturday.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
jrs

Sent you a little tidbit. Sounds like fun, i can't wait till fly fishing season this summer.