Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Default Birch vs Burnstick

We're doing an over nighter on the ice tomorrow at one of the two. Birch seems better for camping, but Burnstick has better fishing (I think, I've never fished Birch) and I would rather eat Perch than trout. What lake would you go to out of the two if you were staying over night?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 PM

I prefer Birch myself. You can catch tons of perch at Burntstik however they are usually really small. I don't usually keep them for this reason
Old 02-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Banned

Burnstick hands down...
Plenty of decent perch and some of the heaviest walleye I've caught.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Was out last weekend and some fellas had an overnighter in canvas tent on the ice, looked like fun. Smell of bacon in the morning was killing us.

That was at Burnstick, no issues driving on.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTreadOnMe View Post
Burnstick hands down...
Plenty of decent perch and some of the heaviest walleye I've caught.
Walleye? Did someone say Walleye?
I haven't heard about Walleye there... just Pike and Pearch... hhmm
Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Default Stocked many years ago

This lake was stocked many years ago with Walleyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Walleye? Did someone say Walleye?
I haven't heard about Walleye there... just Pike and Pearch... hhmm
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Just a heads up that you can't keep any walleye out of Burntstick although for C&R there's some nice ones in there.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:04 PM

Then I'm going to be there Saturday!
Frabill 2 man, a springer spaniel and a white dodge... big red stripe on door

80% sure I was going to go tomorrow but big eyes settle that!!

stop by and say hi if you see me!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Default Burntstick Info

Old info but a little Burntstick fish history.

Burnstick Lake Fishery.

Burnstick Lake supports naturally reproducing sport fish populations of northern pike and yellow perch.
Spawning areas for these species are dispersed about the lake. The weed beds are critical for both perch and
pike. Perch spawn in and use the weed beds for escape cover. Pike spawn in shallow weedy areas next to the shore where water temperatures warm up rapidly in the spring. Spawning area available for pike likely
increased when the water level of the lake was raised in 1946. Pike could use much of the lake for spawning, especially the east and west parts of the lake.

Walleye were introduced into the lake from 1991 to 1993 (15,000 - 20,000 each year). The introduction appears to have been successful. However, it is too early to tell if the walleye will spawn in the lake. In
1994 few were of legal size to be harvested. If the walleye were to spawn, spawning would most likely
occur along the north and south shores of the lake, where rubble areas are present. Weed beds would also
serve as rearing and feeding areas. If natural reproduction takes place, the lake will be evaluated to find out
whether additional spawning areas will be required. Fish and Wildlife would do what is necessary to improve the walleye fishery. Test netting done on Burnstick Lake in October 1994 suggests that Bumstick
Lake probably could provide a sustainable yield of 4.9 kgha of fish per year (1435.7 kg of fish). This includes all fish species including sport fish and suckers.
Test netting showed that sport fish comprised 40% of the fish population in the lake. This works out to a sustainable yield of 575 kg of fish per year (73% northern pike, 21% walleye and 6% yellow perch)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Old info but a little Burntstick fish history.

Burnstick Lake Fishery.

Burnstick Lake supports naturally reproducing sport fish populations of northern pike and yellow perch.
Spawning areas for these species are dispersed about the lake. The weed beds are critical for both perch and
pike. Perch spawn in and use the weed beds for escape cover. Pike spawn in shallow weedy areas next to the shore where water temperatures warm up rapidly in the spring. Spawning area available for pike likely
increased when the water level of the lake was raised in 1946. Pike could use much of the lake for spawning, especially the east and west parts of the lake.

Walleye were introduced into the lake from 1991 to 1993 (15,000 - 20,000 each year). The introduction appears to have been successful. However, it is too early to tell if the walleye will spawn in the lake. In
1994 few were of legal size to be harvested. If the walleye were to spawn, spawning would most likely
occur along the north and south shores of the lake, where rubble areas are present. Weed beds would also
serve as rearing and feeding areas. If natural reproduction takes place, the lake will be evaluated to find out
whether additional spawning areas will be required. Fish and Wildlife would do what is necessary to improve the walleye fishery. Test netting done on Burnstick Lake in October 1994 suggests that Bumstick
Lake probably could provide a sustainable yield of 4.9 kgha of fish per year (1435.7 kg of fish). This includes all fish species including sport fish and suckers.
Test netting showed that sport fish comprised 40% of the fish population in the lake. This works out to a sustainable yield of 575 kg of fish per year (73% northern pike, 21% walleye and 6% yellow perch)
Great information share!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM

Just a quick clarification note: There are 2 lakes -- Burnstick and BurnTstick, right? The previous posts have referred to both Burnstick and BurnTstick, sometimes within the same post......

*EDIT*

Upon further review, there's just one lake, and it's Burnstick.....not BurnTstick...ha ha. Sorry, just wanted to see what you guys were talking about
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 PM

Who's more hungry on Burnt Stick?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-02-20-13-43-40.jpg (22.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 02:51 PM

Default Try both

Funny thing is on your way there some of the road signs are spelled each way. We always joke that the sign people could never decide the correct spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Just a quick clarification note: There are 2 lakes -- Burnstick and BurnTstick, right? The previous posts have referred to both Burnstick and BurnTstick, sometimes within the same post......

*EDIT*

Upon further review, there's just one lake, and it's Burnstick.....not BurnTstick...ha ha. Sorry, just wanted to see what you guys were talking about