Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Tikka T3x Arctic Stainless.

Looking/pondering another gun and thought I needed to get something for some in the deep bush work. I don't have a close range, easy to wield weapon with iron sights and prefer not to go to a lever action (just a taste thing really).

I saw the Tikka T3x Arctic,.308, 20" barrel, iron sights, laminated stock with stainless barrel and action. Thought it might be perfect for what I picture it being used for.

Maybe another gun to consider?

Would putting a super low magnification or red dot scope help me aquire a target more efficiently? I really grew up with my first gun being a scoped weapon (including all of my 22's).

Anyone used or have one of these? opinions? or what are your thoughts on this configuration of gun?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Different websites say it is between 8.5 to 10 pounds. That is not very happy for a bring everywhere hiking rifle. Many scoped rifles weigh less than that. A semiauto M1A with adjustable distance iron sights weigh less than that.

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 PM

Remington 7600
Old 09-30-2017, 08:18 PM

as for speed, a proper fitting and trained shotgun with bead is the fastest, on a rifle, a red dot is the fastest, being that you just line up a dot with your target, even with a crappy cheek weld. a low magnification scope is about as fast as irons if you have the proper cheek weld, because a scope requires proper eye relief, but after that just put your crosshairs on the target, irons are fast because there is not eye relief part of it and they are obviously the best field of view, but they require a consistent trained cheek weld to make sure that the front and rear sight are lined up. if you have a poor rear sight picture, then your front sight on the target wont do the job. Iron sights and low magnification scope would be faster than a higher magnification scope due to the high magnification scope having a narrow field of view and you may have to search for your target.

all these being ranked in order, I could say that the easiest long distance shot accuracy would rank them in exact opposite order. so you have to decide on exactly what you are looking for.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Different websites say it is between 8.5 to 10 pounds. That is not very happy for a bring everywhere hiking rifle. Many scoped rifles weigh less than that. A semiauto M1A with adjustable distance iron sights weigh less than that.
Yes - I did see that. Most laminate rifles are not light - that's for sure. I just love the way they look to be honest.

I guess I never really had more than a passing thought about weight before when making a purchase.

Most rifles are in that 7-10 lbs range with a scope (most of mine are I guess) and, frankly, weight doesn't seem to bother me as much compared to the majority of guys out there.

Nevertheless, you are right, she's not a light weapon. It could be a decision maker if I find two different options and I'm on the fence about which one to get.

It's also a pricey gun. $2800. I'm pretty sure there might be other great options at that price.

Was also looking at the Sako 85 Kodiak - but I think it comes in .338 or .375 H&H only which might be a little "much" for deer. Would be good for Sask's hogs though.

The 85 Sako Black Bear comes in .308, which is ideal IMO, but the stock looks like ugly cheap plastic.

Need something stainless, short, and weather proof.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Have a look at the Tikka Battue line. I had one in 30/06 and it was a very light, well balanced, fast handling gun. They come standard with 20" barrels and excellent fiber optic sights. A QD mount with a red dot or low magnification scope would be ideal. The factory tupperware stocks suck, but are easily replaceable with other Tikka sporter stocks or a Bell & Carlson aftermarket.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Mossberg MVP scout in 308? It's a cheap gun, but definitely short and wieldy with iron sights. AR type mags is a positive as well IMO.

Even on sale at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/76995/...t-action-rifle

6.75lbs
Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Mossberg MVP scout in 308? It's a cheap gun, but definitely short and wieldy with iron sights. AR type mags is a positive as well IMO.

Even on sale at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/76995/...t-action-rifle

6.75lbs

Or Ruger Gunsight Scout if you are after a longer barrel, still light weight

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-30-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Default 7.3pounds dry weight

Another option?

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...fle--308-Win--
Old 10-01-2017, 09:38 AM

I do like the t3 arctic but they are not worth 2800 imo. For a few hundered bucks over a regular t3x sure... But a grand more? Meh.

Maybe this could be an option if your not 100% set on a 308.
https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearm...ights-7-62x39/

Best price in canada atm. I got one a few months ago in 7.62x39 and i love the rifle. Have been getting 2-3" groups with surplus and 1" groups with higher quality ammo.

You could also just buy an 870 express and throw a 12 or 14" barrel on it and call it a day.

Edit: missed your part about needing to be stainless. The cz 527 is still a good pick imo.

Last edited by Husty; 10-01-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Thats a sexy setup. Sako could pull something like that off if they had more common one-piece quick detach rings for their optilok rail.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

2800 bucksfreak that's a lot of cash for a shooting iron...how about Remington model 7 stainless? A nice handling small packaged rifle and you can pocket the remaining 2000 bucks or put a nice scope on it...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-01-2017, 05:02 PM

http://store.prophetriver.com/ruger-...ut-wd-ss-16-5/

Not the nicest looking rifle but iron sights and stainless. With the forward rail have option for long relief scope or red dot. Quick detach rings and back to iron sights.

Another option is Lee Enfield no4 mk1 that has been sporterized. Not stainless but they do have excellent sights for fast accusation. Can be very accurate rifle.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Just get a 303.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:20 PM

Lots of excellent options - a few I had not seen before. Lots to consider.

Have decide on some sort on red dot or low magnification scope allowing for quick target acquisition. Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Have decide on some sort on red dot or low magnification scope allowing for quick target acquisition. Any thoughts?
Whats going to be your main use for this gun?

Id get a 12 gauge if your concerned about bears in the bush.

I personally dont like red dots. On my CZ 527 I have a Vortex Crossfire 1-4x24, they cost like $200. You could get higher quality vortex strike eagle or viper. Another route if you dont like vortex is a Leuopold VX2/3s they also make nice 1-4x20.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ex-moa-reticle

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/vx-2-rifle-scope
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Whats going to be your main use for this gun?

Id get a 12 gauge if your concerned about bears in the bush.

I personally dont like red dots. On my CZ 527 I have a Vortex Crossfire 1-4x24, they cost like $200. You could get higher quality vortex strike eagle or viper. Another route if you dont like vortex is a Leuopold VX2/3s they also make nice 1-4x20.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ex-moa-reticle

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/vx-2-rifle-scope
Bush gun. Deer & Hogs. Another toy. Almost everything I have is a long barrel flat shooter with optics suited for long ranges.

I just don't own a carbine type gun and would like one.

Already have a 12 ga. with a slug barrel - so it's not a camp gun for bear country.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM

T3X Arctic = most overpriced gun I can think of.

That CZ 557 carbine is a beautiful little rifle. There is no way in Hades you will be disappointed with it.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 PM

I like Tikka a but the price on that model is ridiculous. I paid less for my Sako Bavarian Carbine.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes - I did see that. Most laminate rifles are not light - that's for sure. I just love the way they look to be honest.

I guess I never really had more than a passing thought about weight before when making a purchase.

Most rifles are in that 7-10 lbs range with a scope (most of mine are I guess) and, frankly, weight doesn't seem to bother me as much compared to the majority of guys out there.

Nevertheless, you are right, she's not a light weapon. It could be a decision maker if I find two different options and I'm on the fence about which one to get.

It's also a pricey gun. $2800. I'm pretty sure there might be other great options at that price.

Was also looking at the Sako 85 Kodiak - but I think it comes in .338 or .375 H&H only which might be a little "much" for deer. Would be good for Sask's hogs though.

The 85 Sako Black Bear comes in .308, which is ideal IMO, but the stock looks like ugly cheap plastic.

Need something stainless, short, and weather proof.
I hunt timber with a heavy rifle, just under 9 lbs loaded, simply because I am very comfortable with that particular rifle and when I need to get a shot off quick that's what counts. I've tried a few different "bush rifles" and always up going back to this rifle simply because IMO familiarity is the best asset you will ever find in a bush rifle, put simply... your best option is to use the rifle you shoot the most, regardless of length or weight... an actual "bush rifle" only makes sense if it will be your main rifle. One option I've considered is getting another rifle of the same make and model as my current favorite but with a shorter barrel.

That said, if I were buying a new rifle specifically for hunting timber weight would be one of my main consideration. Because a bush rifle spends all day in my hands rather on a sling, probably almost 50k some seasons, as I get older I do notice my wrists and hands are sometimes sore at the end of a string of long days. Someday I will probably have to find something lighter.

You however are buying a bush rifle now... IMO you should look at something lighter. My choice at this point would probably be a Vangaurd carbine in .308, with a low powered scope... or just cut down my Lee Enfield and use the irons.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM

I love that iron sight on the Arctic though.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
T3X Arctic = most overpriced gun I can think of.

That CZ 557 carbine is a beautiful little rifle. There is no way in Hades you will be disappointed with it.
x2 Overpriced and as ugly as can be,i would not pay 500 for that artic.Plus in 308 there's so much lighter stuff and nicer.The cz 527 carbine is a nice rifle for the bush.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Default Tikka Aritc

you want to look at The Tikka T3x Compact Tactical , if you like the short barreled Tikka. Very similar to the aritic and $1400.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Are red dots reliable in cold weather? Minus 20 and batteries i dont think would be the best combo. The best hunting and success i have ever had was always minus 15 and below.

Savage has both the Hog Hunter and Model 10 FCM Scout Rifle....
Old 10-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Are red dots reliable in cold weather? Minus 20 and batteries i dont think would be the best combo. The best hunting and success i have ever had was always minus 15 and below.

Savage has both the Hog Hunter and Model 10 FCM Scout Rifle....
-32 and not an issue with the fire dot on my leupold. I think the 3032 batteries and other "watch" type lithium batteries aren't affected by the cold like alkaline batteries. Even my Milwaukee cordless power tools preform well in the cold.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
-32 and not an issue with the fire dot on my leupold. I think the 3032 batteries and other "watch" type lithium batteries aren't affected by the cold like alkaline batteries. Even my Milwaukee cordless power tools preform well in the cold.
Agreed on the leupold fire dot.
Like it with heavy cross hairs.
Pretty easy to pack a spare battery too.
Then just run to fail, still got the cross hairs...

I would expect serious depreciation on the rifle with that price point.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:13 PM

I think I need to go shopping a feel a few of these options out. I really need to feel the rifle - and, there just aren't any around.

Found an old Leopold 1-4x that's probably 30 years old, still crystal clear in my Dad's gun cabinet drawer. Might give that ol' girl a whirl.

I'm pretty sure my dad used that on his old Ruger M77 300win mag he shot for years. That gun and scope dropped a lot of moose in Chinchaga over the years.

So the scope has to be good luck right?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I think I need to go shopping a feel a few of these options out. I really need to feel the rifle - and, there just aren't any around.

Found an old Leopold 1-4x that's probably 30 years old, still crystal clear in my Dad's gun cabinet drawer. Might give that ol' girl a whirl.

I'm pretty sure my dad used that on his old Ruger M77 300win mag he shot for years. That gun and scope dropped a lot of moose in Chinchaga over the years.

So the scope has to be good luck right?
Good luck yes. Doesnt mean you should buy the outrageously overpriced overweight tikka arctic. Up to you. High price doesnt mean better
Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 PM

So has anyone held one or bought one? I saw one for sale in Montana and at $1300 I would consider it. I like the ruger scout rifle but think the Tikka is probably more accurate and from my experience the bolt is much smoother. Proprietary mags suck especially when they cost 100$ but I wouldn’t aee the need for more then 3 mags. Heck I only have 3 mags for my AR. My suppressor would fit perfectly on the 5/8 24 threaded barrel.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:44 PM

Last edited by propliner; 04-01-2018 at 10:50 PM.