Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
never had an issue with ryans.
X2

http://www.ryansmeats.com/hunters
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM

You can spot "dark red pieces of meat in the sausage which were obviously elk meat" in sausage and you think that would make it taste OFF? HHHMMMmm interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I used to use Rocky, not any more.

Last year we had two bad experiences.

First off he "lost" 40lbs of my elk that I brought in for sausage. He made it up by processing another batch for free (I had to provide extra meat) but there is only so much meat on an elk, so what was the value of that 40lbs... Based on my expenses to hunt the elk about $800.

Second a buddy of mine brought his WT deer in for sausage, and when he got them back, they tasted "off" and there were several dark red pieces of meat in the sausage which were obviously elk meat, so either someone was mixing meat in the back, or they aren't cleaning their equipment.

When I first started going there it was fantastic, There are a few guys working the back last year that I would only describe as shady.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:44 PM

^^^^

I found that to be an odd observation too

LC
Old 12-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Made my first trip back to Ryans this year. Gotta give them a yell out, nice job on cut and wrap, also the salami was excellent and priced fairly well. Had issues in the past and only went back due to convenience this year, seems to have gotten a lot better.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn42 View Post
Darryl is a great guy. Garlic sausage is excellent as well as his smokies and bratwurst. Not as big of a fan for his jerky or pepperoni style but that's just me. Keep in mind though, all smoked stuff is just bulk packaged so you have to do that at home. He tells you that on the website so its clear.
X 3.....

I have been going there for over 40 years. Knew the whole family; Darrell recently lost his mom..RIP she was a darling...

I have NEVER had a problem, great staff that will not hesitate to turn away dirty/uncleaned meat.

All meat and specialty meat is a personal thing; I in particularly like the Smokey's and the pepper and teriyaki jerky; I like the jerky real chewy...mmmm good eats, even better with a beer.

It will be a sad day if he ever closes.....

I am currently waiting for a pick-up.

Oh yeah; a 100 pound deer made into 1/3 sausage, good chop cuts and the rest burger will be in the $250 range.

Enjoy....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 12-04-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
You can spot "dark red pieces of meat in the sausage which were obviously elk meat" in sausage and you think that would make it taste OFF? HHHMMMmm interesting.
Nope your confusing two separate thoughts, although maybe I wasn't as clear as I could be.

1. There were dark pieces of meat in the sausage, meat that didn't appear to be deer meat. Which would lead to the observation that there was something other than pork and deer in the sausage.
2. The sausage did not taste very good. Separate thought from above. It didn't taste like it was spoiled it just tasted...off, poor mixing of the spices or something. But the deer meat that was not sausaged tasted fine so it was definitely whatever was added to it. Have had his sausages in the past and they were great. Last year they weren't as good.

As a separate observation the back of the shop had about an inch of animal fat on the floor, and wild animal carcases stacked on top of each other from the floor to the ceiling of the fridge. I have seen much better care taken to store animals in a much more organized and sanitary conditions .

My point is that I had a bad experience in that he "lost" a bunch of my elk, and my buddy had a bad experience with the quality of his sausages. We have both used Rocky in the past, and found his stuff to be good, but I think when he gets busy the quality suffers, based on my experience and the experience of someone I know. I won't be going back there.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Nope your confusing two separate thoughts, although maybe I wasn't as clear as I could be.

1. There were dark pieces of meat in the sausage, meat that didn't appear to be deer meat. Which would lead to the observation that there was something other than pork and deer in the sausage.
2. The sausage did not taste very good. Separate thought from above. It didn't taste like it was spoiled it just tasted...off, poor mixing of the spices or something. But the deer meat that was not sausaged tasted fine so it was definitely whatever was added to it. Have had his sausages in the past and they were great. Last year they weren't as good.

As a separate observation the back of the shop had about an inch of animal fat on the floor, and wild animal carcases stacked on top of each other from the floor to the ceiling of the fridge. I have seen much better care taken to store animals in a much more organized and sanitary conditions .

My point is that I had a bad experience in that he "lost" a bunch of my elk, and my buddy had a bad experience with the quality of his sausages. We have both used Rocky in the past, and found his stuff to be good, but I think when he gets busy the quality suffers, based on my experience and the experience of someone I know. I won't be going back there.
Hello gasman it's Rocky here. First off I totally appreciate your frustration and I apologize completely for our errors. I would like to note that my friends and customers know that if I make a mistake I certainly own it. I generally try to offer well over and above what my customer would expect. I usually make a generous offer but seriously let my customer know that they are free to ask for as much compensation that could come close to making them as satisfied as possible. If I did not convey this to you I am truly sorry.

With respect to the animals stacked to the ceiling and the grease on the floor...I can only say that at times we are indeed very busy and in order to save time we pull numerous animals out of the cooler at a time so that our cutting team can pick them from there and not waste precious time walking back and forth to the cooler. All animals removed from the cooler are expected to be completed with the next 2-3 hrs. The great floor well we are a small shop and move a lot of animals through one at a time so on any given day there is a lot of activity I assure you at the end of the day after all sausage is processed and animals cut our plant is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

I feel terrible to hear about your friend not enjoying his product...I only wish he would have contacted me as this would fall under our compensation to make sure a customer is fully satisfied. Usually I tell each customer when they pick up to let me know how it is good bad or otherwise because this is how we can improve our consistency and quality. I sincerely mean that. I will say that indeed we did get a new piece of equipment and our mixing may have taken some getting used to since this machine offers mixing capabilities.

Lastly with there being dark pieces of meat throughout your sausage, since we do not pool meat as a strict rule this could be the dryer outside trimmings of meat. My cutters are expected to remove as much dry outer 'crust' as they can and possible they were not careful enough. Not that there is anything wrong with this 'crust' however it does look dark inside the sausage and that is the reason we remove it.

I would like to extend an offer for gift certificates that may be spent on store product or processing. If you like please contact me and I would like to ensure that even if you do not come back for processing you have been at least somewhat compensated enough that you are not left with a bad overall experience. Please extend this offer to your friend as well.

On one final note as we have grown over the last 4 seasons at a rate that is barely sustainable we are looking into finding a larger processing facility in order to prevent issues like this from being a regular occurrence.

Thanks and once again my deepest apologies for your last experience.

Sincerely,
Rocky

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 AM

I've never had a problem with Ryans, and for the people complaining about the hair on their meat maybe take time to clean it with a wet rag and find a place to clean them and skin them. How many times I go there and he takes in game that I would say go skin it and clean it ,but they will do it for you. There is no excuse that you have nowhere to do it,get a bumper hanger or find a tree when in field or like a bunch a guys do when they pack out. I don't think any butcher should clean if they don't know how or can't figure it out then don't hunt. All these butchers on here are so busy at this time of year and you expect them to have a skinning and washbay as well, if you don't like,butcher it yourself ,we are all lucky enough times that they still have room in the coolers for when we bring it.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschermer2 View Post
Hello gasman it's Rocky here. First off I totally appreciate your frustration and I apologize completely for our errors. I would like to note that my friends and customers know that if I make a mistake I certainly own it. I generally try to offer well over and above what my customer would expect. I usually make a generous offer but seriously let my customer know that they are free to ask for as much compensation that could come close to making them as satisfied as possible. If I did not convey this to you I am truly sorry.

With respect to the animals stacked to the ceiling and the grease on the floor...I can only say that at times we are indeed very busy and in order to save time we pull numerous animals out of the cooler at a time so that our cutting team can pick them from there and not waste precious time walking back and forth to the cooler. All animals removed from the cooler are expected to be completed with the next 2-3 hrs. The great floor well we are a small shop and move a lot of animals through one at a time so on any given day there is a lot of activity I assure you at the end of the day after all sausage is processed and animals cut our plant is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

I feel terrible to hear about your friend not enjoying his product...I only wish he would have contacted me as this would fall under our compensation to make sure a customer is fully satisfied. Usually I tell each customer when they pick up to let me know how it is good bad or otherwise because this is how we can improve our consistency and quality. I sincerely mean that. I will say that indeed we did get a new piece of equipment and our mixing may have taken some getting used to since this machine offers mixing capabilities.

Lastly with there being dark pieces of meat throughout your sausage, since we do not pool meat as a strict rule this could be the dryer outside trimmings of meat. My cutters are expected to remove as much dry outer 'crust' as they can and possible they were not careful enough. Not that there is anything wrong with this 'crust' however it does look dark inside the sausage and that is the reason we remove it.

I would like to extend an offer for gift certificates that may be spent on store product or processing. If you like please contact me and I would like to ensure that even if you do not come back for processing you have been at least somewhat compensated enough that you are not left with a bad overall experience. Please extend this offer to your friend as well.

On one final note as we have grown over the last 4 seasons at a rate that is barely sustainable we are looking into finding a larger processing facility in order to prevent issues like this from being a regular occurrence.

Thanks and once again my deepest apologies for your last experience.

Sincerely,
Rocky

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Rocky, I appreciate the offer. I did mention in the first post that you did try to make it right by making a second batch of sausage for free. Although I was still out my elk meat. I do think that you made an attempt to square things up and I should note that the sausage you made for me the second time around was good tasting.

Unfortunately you can't put the genie back in the bottle. I will say no thank you to the the gift certificate. I found another place this year. I won't give a pass for losing my product or the condition I saw the shop in.

Last edited by gasman; 12-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:48 AM

I took my mule deer buck to Rocky's Sausage Haus in Calgary this year. I usually don't take my deer to a butcher as I process at home, but I wanted something different this year. I got a combination of fresh Italian and Bratwurst sausages, smokies and a few roasts. I haven't tried the smokies yet but the sausages are great, top-quality product. His shop is a busy place during the hunting season, and now I know why - great product!