Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Default Pierce Actions

Anyone on here have some firsthand experience with these actions? Particularly the Titanium. I’ve an opportunity to purchase a custom built off of the Pierce Ti. I’ve never had a Ti action before, only read up on differences between and for the asking price of the rifle, action quality best be on par with Defiance, Surgeon etc. Any and all info appreciated.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 PM

Not with the titanium actions. I just build a new gun with a regular pierce action
So far am quite impressed with it. It's a 308 I build for competition shooting.
Action is very nice. I have a few other custom actions. And it is as good or better than any of those.
The gun was built with good quality stuff. Bartlein Heavy Palma barell 30 inches long McMillan A-5 stock, Jewel trigger etc.
So as can be expected it will hold under 1/2 Moa out to 1000 yards
Send me a pm if you have any other questions.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Ardent on Canadian gun nutz has one
Looks to be very good
Old 01-25-2018, 07:35 PM

Ive built a couple rifles with them. They are a good quality action in my experience. kind of plain looking but very smooth. The titanium long action is light!
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM

I have a custom 284 built on a long action titanium pierce. PM me I can answer whatever question you have. I ended up getting pierce to build me the whole gun that did nice work.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Ive got a short action. This was quite a few years back when I got it so things could have changed. I was not impressed with it at all for a custom action. The fluting on the bolt is rough, I had to run a tap trough the scope base holes to get screwes in. The bolt shroud interfered on the side of the action. The back of the bolt lugs and action recess were coated and as the coating wore off I got an extra 0.002" ish of head space. The recoil lug (from them) diameter was to large so it sat high above the action, the when the one piece scope base (from them) was put on it rode on top of the recoil lug and did not sit flush on top of the action.

Shoots great though, but so does everything else.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:28 PM

Default Weight

I looked at one for a sheep rifle build and was surprised how little weight savings there is, but the bolt is not Titanium, as titanium on titanium is a galling sob. I feel the lightweight Defiance deviant is a better action, and a whole lot prettier!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Forgot I even started this thread.

Thank you for the replies and insight. After consideration and the price tag I’ve decided to not purchase this rifle. Pretty as it is and the list of quality components, I had my heart set on my next build starting with a Defiance and I’m going to hold true. My opinion might be different could I actually shoulder and shoot the rifle but being out of province, I’d be waiting until March to see it without purchasing. If it hasn’t sold by then and I do get to handle it she might come home but until then it’s a no go.

I appreciate the offers to chat via PM even though I didn’t utilize.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Default I ended up buying it.

Well the rifle I was discussing had not sold in all this time and the seller was at the show in Calgary yesterday so I was able to inspect and shoulder it. Long story short, I quite liked and made an offer he accepted. It came home with me complete with recipes for two different bullet weights and some other goodies. Mounted up an NXS last night that I purchased from another AO member a couple weeks ago and hopefully some range time this week. Dies are ordered up so the sooner they arrive, the better. I guess the Defiance will be on the docket for the next build.