Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:09 PM

Default RPS International Review

FYI

I just wanted to inform people of my experiences at RPS, this is simply a review is all.

I dropped a action off Sept 6 2016 to do a complete build on, I bought the barrel and stock from RPS that day. I requested it be done before spring, as I do most of my shooting in may / June. He insisted he would have it ready early December. I contacted him every month from Jan. 2017 till the beginning of March 2018, he always replied, but not with the answer I was after. Early March I thought I would make something happen by calling and asking for all my supplies back in what ever state they where at. He sounded pleased to have the request and shipped everything back promptly. He forgot the action screws. I contacted him about those and he sent them promptly as well. I took everything to another gunsmith to make sure that he completed everything he charged me for, which he had, he even made sure to charge me $95 dollars to package everything up.

Make your own decisions, I made mine.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:19 PM

I’m shocked.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-28-2018, 02:41 PM

RPS has a well-earned reputation. All of it poor.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’m shocked.
X2
Old 03-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

He has been in business for how many years now? And you still have to walk into his basement.

What does that tell you about his business.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
He has been in business for how many years now? And you still have to walk into his basement.

What does that tell you about his business.
That and Joe is such a LOVELY, well dispositioned human being. He used to post on here regularly, can't say I miss his bragadoshis ways or his cutting down of every other gunsmith's work..
Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 AM

well I guess I'm the idiot then, I looked for some reviews when I went and couldn't find anything so hopefully this helps people in the future.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
well I guess I'm the idiot then, I looked for some reviews when I went and couldn't find anything so hopefully this helps people in the future.
No you aren't actually. I don't actually remember a thread specifically devoted to Joe and his antics, it is more what you learn from dealing with him and how he conducted himself when he was posting regularly on here.

To be fair, Joe is capable of some very good work and he has turned out some nice pieces in his time. There are a few people who get along really well with him. Problem is if he doesn't find the project very interesting, or high enough profile, or he doesn't like your moustache, the results can go completely sideways. When he gets up a head of steam he turns into a really difficult guy to deal with. My version, just not worth the aggravation when there are exceptional guys who deal with everyone in a professional manner.

Karl at K & S has been in the business many years and I have never heard anyone say a negative thing about how he dealt with them.Same is true of David Henry, Magnum Machine, David Sorrenson and a number of others. When there are so many good guys,might as well just use them.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-29-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:27 PM

I haven’t had RPS build anything for me but have bought barrels and reloading components. I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:36 PM

I had the same problem 3 years ago, I wanted him to do a build for me, I brought in the action and bought the barrel off him he had everything in stock and was told it was going to be 8 weeks to complete. after 8 months of emails I finally had enough and asked for my parts back. he tried to charge me $40 for packaging it up and when I refused to pay things got into a bit of a shoving match. Took my parts to Rod henrickson and he had everything done and put together in 1 week. Lessons learned I suppose
Old 03-29-2018, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Karl at K & S has been in the business many years and I have never heard anyone say a negative thing about how he dealt with them.
when i had a problem they were very quick to try and fix it.

i did decline, but that's no fault of theirs.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
You can't even punch in RPS on the cgn forums. It won't let you. That's how bad his reputation is....he's been banned there.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No you aren't actually. I don't actually remember a thread specifically devoted to Joe and his antics, it is more what you learn from dealing with him and how he conducted himself when he was posting regularly on here.

To be fair, Joe is capable of some very good work and he has turned out some nice pieces in his time. There are a few people who get along really well with him. Problem is if he doesn't find the project very interesting, or high enough profile, or he doesn't like your moustache, the results can go completely sideways. When he gets up a head of steam he turns into a really difficult guy to deal with. My version, just not worth the aggravation when there are exceptional guys who deal with everyone in a professional manner.

Karl at K & S has been in the business many years and I have never heard anyone say a negative thing about how he dealt with them.Same is true of David Henry, Magnum Machine, David Sorrenson and a number of others. When there are so many good guys,might as well just use them.

X2. Except Joe is capable of extremely good work. I wish him all the best in his business as what Smokinyotes posted is true in that he is very good to deal with in that respect.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 PM
Banned

As with most situatons there are two sides to every story. Quality work, second to none from my experience. Won't hesitate to give them my support based on what I have seen.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Some people have seen more than others. That helps when saying things like “second to none”.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I haven’t had RPS build anything for me but have bought barrels and reloading components. I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem.
X2
Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Had 2 take off barrels in 7MM08 and 308Win put in and and a new 7BR barrel. Very please with the end results.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:08 AM

I think what is advisable to anyone seeking a custom build is to get on paper an agreed upon timeline, updates on progress if possible, what happens if timeline is not met. Check reviews of all people you hire to do your work. Let Google be your friend. The firearm community is relatively small in Canada when it comes to custom builders. Obviously there are satisfied customers and unsatisfied customers, so its up to the individual to best weigh the numbers of each. To be fair, we should probably wrap this one up. Happy Easter guys.
Closed Thread