Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Default Easter Gun Show

What did everyone that attended think? I found there to be way more tacti-crap than years past and lots of very high rifle prices. I managed a sweet deal on two sets of Redding dies, a 7-08 AI, and a 28 nosler set as well. Now I just need to get rid of my 280ai, a ruger #1 and a Swiss to fund my next builds!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Banned

I got a great deal on a model 600 Cooey rabbit, in great shape with a vintage scope. I have been looking for a good one for quite some time. Nostalgic for me to say the least.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Default It is the same every year

Those that want to sell set realistic prices and those that don't take everything home again until the next show.

I had a great first day selling piles of ammo I no longer have the firearm for (223 and 16 gauge flats) as well as surplus 12 gauge.
Took 4 shotguns and 5 rifles and sold 2 of each. When I got home a friend asked what I was still selling and when I told him an old browning trombone he said "I will take that" so I am 5 out of 9 so far.
A couple of the ones left I was pretty sure would sell first because the prices are low on introductory level pumps and semi autos (compared to others there) so maybe tomorrow will clear me out.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:03 PM

Got custom ear plugs and custom knife wasnt there for a gun.. also shot reloding supplies from will at . bilozir fine guns .

All in all good show always fun
Old 03-30-2018, 08:17 PM

I had a nice afternoon down there today, wasn't packed, lots of interesting stuff there. Nice collection of Stevens 44's to look at on one table. There were some decent deals down there depending on what you wanted. Bilozir had one of the 20ga FAIR hammer guns down there, at about what I figured for the price when I first saw the gun Cat picked up. I probably would have bought it, except the stock was really badly finished, and wasn't a particularly good piece to start with.
I have a hunting buddy that was down there selling a few items. He has a 3" BSS 12ga there for a very good price, based on the prices I've seen asked on them over the last few yrs.
I talked to Rob for a quick minute, the CCFR guys, a few others, didn't notice Yvan, if he was there..
There was a table there with some cool stickers, had to have me an Elmer Fudd sticker.
And I found something I liked, and joined the black gun society today, and probably ****ed off a Liberal in doing so. Reasonable price, two mags with it, bought a spare as well. A GSG STG-44 replica, the Sturmgeschutz. In .22LR.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 PM

I along with two of my friends went up to the show. Like anything you had to know your prices. Got a box of Lapua 155 gr Scenars for a decent price and a box of Barnes Originals, 300gr .458, that I have been looking for some time. Good price too. Also met some very nice guys with advise on F class shooting and gear that I am going to try out. All in all it was a good day.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:32 PM

My first time at a gun show - had a really good time and 3 hours was over like that.

Prices seemed really high in general, can get current model rifles cheaper new in many cases, though I imagine you can talk down 10-20%. For a newbie like myself it doesn't make sense to take a risk. May have been some diamonds in the rough that I just do not have the experience to see. Was keeping an eye out for a 788 and found one carbine for $600... considered wheeling and dealing, but I think I want the full length barrel.

Was a really informative day though, got to see many firearms in person that I had only read about and shoulder lots. Friendly vibe and will go back next year for sure. May do my research and look for a shotgun next year, seemed better priced than the rifles.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:02 AM

I thought it was better today then what I’ve seen in the last ten years. The lack of people and corresponding elbow room was much appreciated. I found a couple of good deals and some hard to find items like brass 410 shells and factory 338 Marlin ammo.
I thought prices were reasonable if a guy looked. I passed on a kimber varmint for under a grand because I don’t want another .204, a Kimber Montana in 7mm wsm for $1100 because I’m allergic to anything .284 and a 2.5x Leupold scout scope for $260 because I really need the 1-4 power Leupold scout.
I wish there were more Marlins, especially the older stuff in 444 and .35 but almost all I saw was Winchester junk.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 AM

I noticed a lot of the well set up guys that sell all the time usually we’re overpriced. A lot of the small operations were priced appropriately. Got some Kroil there if anyone is looking for it. Also picked up a number 7 Longbranch trainer. Was very happy to find it!
Old 03-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I thought it was better today then what I’ve seen in the last ten years.
I wish there were more Marlins, especially the older stuff in 444 and .35 but almost all I saw was Winchester junk.
Spotted a JM era version of each of those there. The 444 was a good price too, just not my thing.

You're right though, not many. Would have loved to find a 45-70XLR
Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM

Default easter show

I picked up a few deals. A browning T-bolt 22 unfired in the box; 500.00 That's less than the new one I got at Wholesale ten years back! This one may go into the collection and remain unfired. My original one has shot thousands of rounds already, and is one of the most accurate rimfires I own.
Another dealer, from whom I have made multiple purchases in the past, never fails with a few odd and unusuals. I got a decent deal on a Victor Sarasqueta 20 ga sxs. 5 pin sidelock (cause I really needed another 20 ga sxs). A few cosmetic issues to play with, but tight as a drum. Really slim built, and lightweight. Gonna be a pleasure packing it in the field for sharpies next fall.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 AM

Default T-bolt

That t-bolt is a wicked find!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:36 PM

I got a $50.00 box of bullets for $30.00. Cost me gas + $15.00 parking + $10.00 admission. I should have just bought the bullets at Flys etc.

I did not see any good deals but I enjoyed visiting with a few people that I have not seen for awhile and that made the day worth while
Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 PM

Not much that interested me there. Didn't get anything of consequence, but enjoyed the show anyway.

Nikon had their new FFP FX1000 series scopes on display, with illumination, zero stop and mil based reticles they look to be a good option in the price range ($1029-$1099). Quite impressed actually, would absolutely consider for future builds.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Calgary Show

I found a number of interesting things, mainly books and old holsters. Had a good time chatting with friends and met several dealers that I've bought from on-line but never actually met. Tried to give one chap (Tradex) some money for a wrong part that he shipped and replaced, since I'm also keeping the wrong part. He declined to take the money and called it his mistake. Since I didn't feel quite right about taking advantage of him, I bought some more stuff instead to even it out.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:28 AM

A nice way to spend a post ice fishing season day. Lots to look at, fewer deals to be seen. Drooled over a few BRNO rifles and really had to talk myself out of 9.3X62 project rifle from tradex. Picked up one of the gortex surplus army parkas. My daughter picked up a beautiful Damascus kukuri from a local knife maker for a great price.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:06 PM

I did have to laugh at one seller yesterday, a Rem 660 @ 1695.00, 350 Rem Mag is uncommon, but, not that uncommon. #1's were mostly too high for my tastes, and not in chamberings that I was wanting.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:41 PM

I missed seeing WWBirds despite looking for his mug. I suppose I should have texted. Didn't buy anything at the show though I did hit a local shop later. Usually I raid P&D for 'Gucci' ammo but I've been in E-Town enough recently that I already did so.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:42 PM

Default There were two of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I did have to laugh at one seller yesterday, a Rem 660 @ 1695.00, 350 Rem Mag is uncommon, but, not that uncommon. #1's were mostly too high for my tastes, and not in chamberings that I was wanting.
I believe the one you are talking about had a 673 very close to it on the same table. Can’t recall which table the other was at but I’m pretty sure it was just north of $1700 on the ask. I’d love one in that cartridge but that’s pretty rich.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Last time the gun show will be held there so I was told next year will be a vehicle show that will bring in more money.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 PM

It’s going to be in the big 4 next year.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Default I was pretty easy to find Caber

End of row XY table 1 facing wall so many people went up row and then around to other side without going around end tables. Big white 30 X 24 whitewolf banners with full color pheasants flying at 2 feet over both ends of my table was hard to miss.
Met lots I knew from AO (oldgutpile, covey ridge, fallair fever etc) but also many came up and introduced themselves by first name and without the AO handle I couldnt put a name to the ao handle in many cases.

Good show as if 2 shotguns sell this week to people that looked at them at show as I expect I will have sold 7 of the 9 I brought.

Lots of lookers at a deluxe sporter 10/22 in really nice shape for 375 just before gopher season but I ended up taking it back home with me despite many saying they would probably be back to get it.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Last time the gun show will be held there so I was told next year will be a vehicle show that will bring in more money.
If I read the door handout correctly the show is being forced out of the B.M.O. Centre for the year 2019 only.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:59 PM

I think Red Deer should take this as a chance. Being central to Edmonton and Calgary could mean having a high turnout for events. As the bigger centers get more and more greedy. I think Red Deer could provide a awesome service to the Firearms community.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If I read the door handout correctly the show is being forced out of the B.M.O. Centre for the year 2019 only.
Yup, locations for these types of shows requires loading and unloading access with relative ease. Humping gear up stairs etc gets real old real quick.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I think Red Deer should take this as a chance. Being central to Edmonton and Calgary could mean having a high turnout for events. As the bigger centers get more and more greedy. I think Red Deer could provide a awesome service to the Firearms community.
red deer has a show in progress already. went a couple years ago, was a great venue and show

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Easter show

The show is only currently slated to move to the big 4 center for 1 year. They could potentially end up back at BMO in 2020, theyaren’t Being kicked out.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Always a nice show to attend. I do my best to go each year.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
End of row XY table 1 facing wall so many people went up row and then around to other side without going around end tables. Big white 30 X 24 whitewolf banners with full color pheasants flying at 2 feet over both ends of my table was hard to miss.
Met lots I knew from AO (oldgutpile, covey ridge, fallair fever etc) but also many came up and introduced themselves by first name and without the AO handle I couldnt put a name to the ao handle in many cases.

Good show as if 2 shotguns sell this week to people that looked at them at show as I expect I will have sold 7 of the 9 I brought.

Lots of lookers at a deluxe sporter 10/22 in really nice shape for 375 just before gopher season but I ended up taking it back home with me despite many saying they would probably be back to get it.
It was good to meet you on Friday! My wife and I stopped by and we chatted for a while about hitting you up for some Pheasants in the spring to train our dog with. We'll definitely be giving you a call in April!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 AM

I really miss the Calgary show, went all ten years I lived in Calgary, but not enough to drive from Edmonton to see it. Guess if there were a couple of others interested in going might make a fun road trip. Still one of the best gun shows I have ever been to, including some really big shows in the states. Definitely kicks the one here in Edmonton but I still go as some show is better than no show.