Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Fishing alone...

Who fishes alone in the mountains.
I've got bear spray, bangers, bells and a Big-ole-knife.
Never fished alone and not sure if it would be wise.
I suppose it would be different depending where you are.
Iève read that latter in the year is safer as the bears are more worried about eating and not as grumpy as when they first come from their winter naps.

Also Iève thought about bringing my dog although itès not big it would be noise and some company. But I read in the journal the other day that in Banff they were turning back any hickers that were less than 4 people/bear spray or who had a dog. I thought a dog would help? No?

Do you fish alone?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Ya i fish the mountain alone most times and only once iv been chased by a bear.
But you should be fine. i dont bring any of that bangers or bells but i do usaly walk a little loud. bears this time of year should be more interrested in the berrys and saskatoons comming out.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM

id be more worried about a self inflicted injury on the side of a mountian than bears while fishing alone. be careful.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM

I fish alone in the Mtns quite a bit. Only ever had one issue, I was fishing a Creek for Grayling. When I caught fish, I would wap 'em on the head and toss them behind me. At one point I heard a crunching noise, right behind my back, turned around, and there was Yogi, sitting up like a dog, waiting for the next fish.........Let me tell ya, I made it across that creek without getting my boots wet. Bear left shortly after I stopped feeing him, and I was able to go back for my pack, but now I do keep a little closer watch around when I stand next to a babbling creek.

RD
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM

It'll never happen to me! LOL
Thats actually my GF's worry, that I'll fall or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
id be more worried about a self inflicted injury on the side of a mountian than bears while fishing alone. be careful.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM

For the dog, be careful... There are pro's and con's...

If its a large dog (Malmute or shepherd size) good idea, anything smaller is PREY. Sure, they will alert you to something... but you have to keep the dog tied or it'll be gone (most of them) every time a sound happens in the woods, scaring all fish from the area... Just bring spray and watch down wind.. keep your head on a swivel
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Warden doesnt allow me to fish alone.....not sure who she is protecting though.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. My dog is smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
For the dog, be careful... There are pro's and con's...

If its a large dog (Malmute or shepherd size) good idea, anything smaller is PREY. Sure, they will alert you to something... but you have to keep the dog tied or it'll be gone (most of them) every time a sound happens in the woods, scaring all fish from the area... Just bring spray and watch down wind.. keep your head on a swivel
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned

i usually clap when they tell me theyres a bear around. if one found me id be snack sized. as for falling off the side of the mountain some plyometrics should do the trick. p90x does a good one.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM

im in the same situation.... bring bear spray. i think a dog could provoke a bear. i'm heading out alone in a couple weeks to fish camp and hike in mountain lakes. i'm excited to test my self but kinda nervous because i have never done it before overnight. but i know im going to be fully prepared. the feeling of solitude is worth going alone i think. no one to tell you what to do

In banff its just one trail along lake minnewanka i think that you must be with 4 people and carry bear spray. this is because a lot of berry bushes are in that area.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Should be fun.
Hopefully everything goes well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggacy View Post
im in the same situation.... bring bear spray. i think a dog could provoke a bear. i'm heading out alone in a couple weeks to fish camp and hike in mountain lakes. i'm excited to test my self but kinda nervous because i have never done it before overnight. but i know im going to be fully prepared. the feeling of solitude is worth going alone i think. no one to tell you what to do

In banff its just one trail along lake minnewanka i think that you must be with 4 people and carry bear spray. this is because a lot of berry bushes are in that area.

Last edited by Xiph0id; 08-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM

I often fish alone in the mountains or foothills. If it's not in a park I'll usually take the dog along off leash, mainly for fun, but figure he could be a bit of an early-warning system. Also have bearspray on my hip and my SPOT. I think it's more likely I'll fall and hurt myself or get lost than be attacked by a bear, but I'm prepared for both. I always send an "I'm OK" SPOT message when I arrive at my fishing destination or change locations so my wife knows where I last was if I don't come home.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okotokian View Post
i often fish alone in the mountains or foothills. If it's not in a park i'll usually take the dog along off leash, mainly for fun, but figure he could be a bit of an early-warning system. Also have bearspray on my hip and my spot. I think it's more likely i'll fall and hurt myself or get lost than be attacked by a bear, but i'm prepared for both. I always send an "i'm ok" spot message when i arrive at my fishing destination or change locations so my wife knows where i last was if i don't come home.
spot???
Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
spot???

Here's what he's talking about.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Only bring a dog if you are willing to sacrifice it otherwise you are just making a dangerous situation worse. Might help make noise to keep the bears away but if you do run into one the dog will just look like a snack and will likely provoke the bear when you should be trying to back away slowly.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM

...and the last thing you want is Rover coming running back to you at full tilt with an angry bear on his heels...
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM

I fish alone lots but am careful about where I go. Along with bear spray I now bring an air horn than can be re-charged with a small Bike pump. I figure the air horn might help with bears and also if I get stuck I can sound it off and eventually someone might hear it.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM

most of my friends dont fish so i go alone all the time, not worried at all, i have never camped by myself though that should be fun, looking forwards to it, that way you dont releye on anybody elese you can do what you want when you want how you want, goodluck
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM

yeah thats the problem i wish some of my buddies were more into fishing and being in the backcountry....
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM

It sucks packing it, but I bring my 12 gauge. Had to use it 2 weeks ago on a grizz. Started getting huffy 20 yards awayso I put the first one high and it ran away. Lead bear spray gets my nod. 8 km from the truck by myself down a road with me being the only tracks in for a while made my decision easy.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM

I was fishing a creek alone on Saturday when I came across these tracks.

I already had my bearspray on my chest; my head was definitely on a swivel after seeing those tracks!

Fish were eating dries, though, so I couldn't just leave!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM

I do it often. Bear spray holster goes on my wading belt. Have run into a few bears in the mtns, but not while fishing. Carry bangers while hiking, but not usually while fishing. Just something else to keep track of.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I have had quite a few encounters with bears when I was alone and found they were more scared of you then you were of them and they just wanted to get out of there and as long as you gave them space they were on their way
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM

almost all my summer fishing is backcountry solo and i find that id prefer gun friendly areas. it seems to be not the fishing time where bears cause a problem its the camping night time visits i hate. You get alot more action when you go solo... its like if they can smell just one person and want to see what ya got. I do find that 9 times out of 10 the will do a big circle around your camp before coming in and if you choose a spot where they cant go all the way around you they will abort a cooler raid. Also camping right beside a creek or fast moving river is a bad idea... a chance of a face to face goes way up when all the sound is drown out by rushing water. Id prefer to snuggle up to the cold steel of a rifle than a extra sleeping bag any day plus i never met a bear that hung around after you release the thunder stick so its the peace of mind i enjoy
Old 08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycap View Post
almost all my summer fishing is backcountry solo and i find that id prefer gun friendly areas. it seems to be not the fishing time where bears cause a problem its the camping night time visits i hate. You get alot more action when you go solo... its like if they can smell just one person and want to see what ya got. I do find that 9 times out of 10 the will do a big circle around your camp before coming in and if you choose a spot where they cant go all the way around you they will abort a cooler raid. Also camping right beside a creek or fast moving river is a bad idea... a chance of a face to face goes way up when all the sound is drown out by rushing water. Id prefer to snuggle up to the cold steel of a rifle than a extra sleeping bag any day plus i never met a bear that hung around after you release the thunder stick so its the peace of mind i enjoy
x2 Billy
Good post.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 PM

I fish alone quite a bit. I never really worry about black bears, in the bush only grizzlies and cougars scare me. If I know I am going to be in cougar/grizzly country I usually take my 12 gauge... more for my wife's sake than my own (doesn't do me much good on the shore in a case).

I am positive that dogs help. I don't know what it is about dogs, but I have yet to see a bear come close when I have a dog (even a border collie).

I have had a grizzly stick around after I fired 3 shots 10 feet above its head. It was a scary time for me. It just stuck in the bush pacing and making a kinda grunting noise. It was a bad walk back... kinda like being scared of the dark all over again.

On the lighter side... I love this sign: http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/20...-bear-warning/
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM

My sheltie comes with me most of the time. He's an early warning system. A few weeks ago he got in between a small black and me. They sniffed each other before the black saw me and took off. Hueston stays right under my feet when i fish so he dosent miss any of the action. He alerted me when the bear came. I also carry bear spray and cry out a big Dave Hestor 'yeeepp' every few minutes.

Sold!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjjj View Post
I fish alone quite a bit. I never really worry about black bears, in the bush only grizzlies and cougars scare me. If I know I am going to be in cougar/grizzly country I usually take my 12 gauge... more for my wife's sake than my own (doesn't do me much good on the shore in a case).

I am positive that dogs help. I don't know what it is about dogs, but I have yet to see a bear come close when I have a dog (even a border collie).

I have had a grizzly stick around after I fired 3 shots 10 feet above its head. It was a scary time for me. It just stuck in the bush pacing and making a kinda grunting noise. It was a bad walk back... kinda like being scared of the dark all over again.

On the lighter side... I love this sign: http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/20...-bear-warning/
Thats really funny...thx for sharing..
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM

i think i should invest in these "bear bangers"
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM

I live in Hinton and have fish over 40 years alone in the mountains and never had a issue

u have a better chance getting hit by a car or lightning or your partner lmao.. but if you feel better take your bear spray or bells or gun then do it .

if you have no stress then you have to be fishing enjoy