Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Walleye fishing and the enviroment

Let me make one thing clear , it is not my intention to stir up trouble

or try to illicit rude comments from fellow posters or give anyone the oppor

tunity to question my lineage or genetic background . Besides I was

admonished for my last tirade on the condition of the fishery in southern

alberta. The powers that be here said that my opinion may be true

but my delivery was politically incorrect .

After taking in all the news about the great care our govt
is taking of our water resource in the last couple of weeks . And reading the posts on here about the fishing at pigeon and how fabulous it is , its sad that it is all C&R ( except for those tax grab tags ) .

It should be apparent that the only way the Alberta Govt
is going allow its citizens to kill fish in any quantities is with , the old
cover the water with sweet crude presentation . How do you even justify letting
an oil co. put a pipeline under one of the major rivers in this province .
What horses rear end got greased to let that go through .

Back in the 60's when 16 walleye possession limits were in effect
we expounded on the fact that it was very unlikely fish would ever be rod and reeled out , that man would pollute them out before that happened .

If we were that smart how come we're not rich .

Lastly I am a little miffed that no one has kept fish from these closed lakes

as statement of rebellion against the govt's lack of stewardship towards the land and water ..

I am starting to think that are only hope is that the natives
get it all back .

I certainly hope I didnt forget anyone ....
Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Gone Hunting

No way Winch??? Really,,,,,, are you serious???

You sound smarter than that, least you used to?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 PM

I feel very confident that the powers at be, at the top of Alberta's Fish and wildlife, are doing a great job to sustain our fisheries. Its very easy to sit on the outside and make judgements pertaining to complex strategies and managements. Yet if you wish to make a fair judgement, you will have to dedicate yourself to learning ALL the details.

I think you really have to understand the impact angling had back in the 70's & 80's, to understand the need for a C&R mandate. Remember there are twice as many people in AB now, if not more. I'd think there are still people who poach fish today, so a C&R mandate doesn't relieve all the pressure on the fish.

If your so disappointed about not getting to eat Walleye, do what I do. Go to a supermarket, or better yet a fish Monger, and grab some eyes for your trip. Grab a big Salmon if you have enough coin, and be thankful we still have a fishery.

C&R isn't just a 'Regulation', its a tradition and an evermore popular form of ensuring our kids, kids, have as much fun fishing as we do. Sure, it sucks not being able to keep even one fish a trip, but there are things we have to get used to not having, even temporarily. Allowing people to keep one fish, opens up the door to 'rule bending'.

I think of it this way. For 20 to 30 years people fished with no licence, and kept enough fish to fill their freezers at home. I remember having to wait 1/2 hour in line to use the fish cleaning table, and seeing people with 5 gallon buckets full of Perch daily.

Our parents and grandparents, and even some of us, devastated our fisheries. Now we have much, much better tackle, sonar, silent trolling motors, ect, ect. Put both those two together, and your left with a dilemma. Enforce C&R and allow the populations to rebound to normal levels, or kiss it all goodbye.

Think of it as our gift to our grandkids, who will hopefully get the chance to eat a few of their catches. Or our debt our grandparents left us. Either way, you'll get a better perspective I think.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
L

as statement of rebellion against the govt's lack of stewardship towards the land and water ..
People do keep fish from the closed lakes. I fish regularly in a lake with a 1 walleye limit and know that people keep more than one Walleye lots. If we want to be able to fish in the future than the plans that are in place will allow us to do these things. C&R is a valuable tool in the recovery of these populations. I almost never keep my limit. I will keep enough to feed me for a meal or two. I don't go out with the purpose of catching my limit, I go to enjoy the surroundings and to have fun with family and friends catching fish and want to be able to do this for the rest of my life.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Fish and wildlife etc...

OK if this is all im gonna get than I'm not going to play anymore .

Pack I was just being facetious , you know , tongue in cheek .

I am thoroughly convinced that F&W doesnt have a clue as to what is going on .How does a fishery get to the collapsed stage before they do anything about it. If you want to screw something let Government
get a hand in it . My point is that we are saving fish but not for our kids
so that humans wont be the only victims in the enviromental cataclism
that is our future .

Heres a clue to when doomsday is near . Youll find yourself putting
an X on the ballot next to the words .......

NDP....

Heres your other clue as to the geniuses at F&W ...

you dont kill fish that are big enough to spawn , you have a slot limit ..
You allow a small number of small fish ( 2 to 4 yr classes ) to be kept on
a select number of days ...Duhhhh ...
Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Let me make one thing clear , it is not my intention to stir up trouble

or try to illicit rude comments from fellow posters or give anyone the oppor

tunity to question my lineage or genetic background . Besides I was

admonished for my last tirade on the condition of the fishery in southern

alberta. The powers that be here said that my opinion may be true

but my delivery was politically incorrect .

After taking in all the news about the great care our govt
is taking of our water resource in the last couple of weeks . And reading the posts on here about the fishing at pigeon and how fabulous it is , its sad that it is all C&R ( except for those tax grab tags ) .

It should be apparent that the only way the Alberta Govt
is going allow its citizens to kill fish in any quantities is with , the old
cover the water with sweet crude presentation . How do you even justify letting
an oil co. put a pipeline under one of the major rivers in this province .
What horses rear end got greased to let that go through .

Back in the 60's when 16 walleye possession limits were in effect
we expounded on the fact that it was very unlikely fish would ever be rod and reeled out , that man would pollute them out before that happened .

If we were that smart how come we're not rich .

I am starting to think that are only hope is that the natives
get it all back .

I certainly hope I didnt forget anyone ....

Wanna hear something weird ?

In all the years that I have fished in Alberta, I have been stopped by F&W a grand total of 2 (two) times. Twenty five years of fishing (not always full-time like some of you...) and I've been asked to produce my license only TWICE !
Is it any wonder that people have the coyones to take more than they should ? Honestly, if I were the head of F&W, I would be freakin' embarassed as to the state of the Alberta Fisheries ! AFAIK, the F&W officers are likely doing a GREAT JOB ! There just isn't enough of them to enforce the law and the fines are ridiculously low to begin with....

As far as pipelines are concerned, we should ALL be worried about where they are situated and what can happen when all hell breaks loose. The 'big' ones are the 'least' of our worries, it's the small ones that never get noticed. I used to work up in "the patch" for a Petroleum company when oil was 14 bucks a barrel and lemme tell you, I dug out a LOT of treater rooms within a very short distance of lakes, marshes, irrigation and water supply ponds, etc...

Now if you think that's not so bad, what about the 'gas Wells and Gas lines' ? If you know a Civil engineer, have him/her browse through their EUB software (I think the EUB site is now split into two sections) and attempt a little 'connect the dots' game once you bring up ALL active and non-active Gas leases...... It will BLOW your MIND.

Ever wondered exactly what chemicals 'were once used' in 'Fracturing' ? Most of us couldn't possibly know because most 'large companies' NEVER fully disclose the chemical make-up of the 'Fracing materials' "they use" or 'have used' in the past..... Remember that 30% or more of Alberta's gas wells are SOUR wells. H2S is one of the most TOXIC of all gasses on good ol' planet Earth !
Hell, all this money from Royalties and the government STILL won't pay to see how screwed up the cattle and locals are from Gas Well flaring. Now how long will it be before they look into the issue of leaching into reservoirs, aquifier's, etc !!

To top it all off, now we have the 'real possiblilty' of lakes being 're-classified' so they can be used as tailing ponds for the mining industry ! Yikes,...WTF ?

Throw me a FRIKIN' HAZMAT suit someone ! Do it quick, cuz my freakin' boat is starting to smoulder, melt and take on water ! Good Christ !, now these scary little fish that look like 'fat miniature Jane Fonda's' are trying to Crawl into MY BOAT ! YAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH........

( Bah, don't get me started.....! )

Cheers

/FC....
Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Gone Hunting

( except for those tax grab tags ) Winch 101 When you said that you lost all credability with me. The rest of your ramblings don't make a lot of sence eather.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken@shaw.ca View Post
Wanna hear something weird ?

In all the years that I have fished in Alberta, I have been stopped by F&W a grand total of 2 (two) times. Twenty five years of fishing (not always full-time like some of you...) and I've been asked to produce my license only TWICE !
Is it any wonder that people have the coyones to take more than they should ? Honestly, if I were the head of F&W, I would be freakin' embarassed as to the state of the Alberta Fisheries ! AFAIK, the F&W officers are likely doing a GREAT JOB ! There just isn't enough of them to enforce the law and the fines are ridiculously low to begin with....

As far as pipelines are concerned, we should ALL be worried about where they are situated and what can happen when all hell breaks loose. The 'big' ones are the 'least' of our worries, it's the small ones that never get noticed. I used to work up in "the patch" for a Petroleum company when oil was 14 bucks a barrel and lemme tell you, I dug out a LOT of treater rooms within a very short distance of lakes, marshes, irrigation and water supply ponds, etc...

Now if you think that's not so bad, what about the 'gas Wells and Gas lines' ? If you know a Civil engineer, have him/her browse through their EUB software (I think the EUB site is now split into two sections) and attempt a little 'connect the dots' game once you bring up ALL active and non-active Gas leases...... It will BLOW your MIND.

Ever wondered exactly what chemicals 'were once used' in 'Fracturing' ? Most of us couldn't possibly know because most 'large companies' NEVER fully disclose the chemical make-up of the 'Fracing materials' "they use" or 'have used' in the past..... Remember that 30% or more of Alberta's gas wells are SOUR wells. H2S is one of the most TOXIC of all gasses on good ol' planet Earth !
Hell, all this money from Royalties and the government STILL won't pay to see how screwed up the cattle and locals are from Gas Well flaring. Now how long will it be before they look into the issue of leaching into reservoirs, aquifier's, etc !!

To top it all off, now we have the 'real possiblilty' of lakes being 're-classified' so they can be used as tailing ponds for the mining industry ! Yikes,...WTF ?

Throw me a FRIKIN' HAZMAT suit someone ! Do it quick, cuz my freakin' boat is starting to smoulder, melt and take on water ! Good Christ !, now these scary little fish that look like 'fat miniature Jane Fonda's' are trying to Crawl into MY BOAT ! YAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH........

( Bah, don't get me started.....! )

Cheers

/FC....
Scare tactics based on minimal knowledge,, you really should get a job with National Enquirer or the Sun either way you will go to the top with your vast knowledge of sensationalism Oh and change your name to floppysazuki@shaw
Old 06-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Scare tactics based on minimal knowledge,, you really should get a job with National Enquirer or the Sun either way you will go to the top with your vast knowledge of sensationalism Oh and change your name to floppysazuki@shaw
Bawahahahahahah...!

Yeah, you're a champion for the environment... I can tell ! Heh, heh...

I bet YOU have YOUR H2S training and cerrtification right ? If you don't, then feel free to sniff around some of the sour gas wellheads and get back to us...... I'm sure you'll be feeling "Sensational" by then... ! LOL..... You too can then change your name.... to 'REDEYES' or maybe 'COMA-EYES'. lol...

Cheers !

/FC....
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM

the question of regulating fishing limits and possession of fish is a very sticky one. there's no way the govt. can keep everyone happy. as most of you know the lakes that are producing the biggest and best quality walleye are now located in central alberta. at any given time there are lots of folks out there catching and releasing dozens every day. would they like to take a few home for supper? of course they would. but if the govt. starts a daily limit, even of one or two these lakes would be over run with fisherman. this opens the door to admit those people who only feel they have succeded when the take home a limit.
as an example i know of an old fellow who lives with his wife and cat who hits gull every day in the winter and takes home his limit of whites every time. what is he doing with all of these fish? he gives them away. so, he practices catch and release but he has to kill them first.
all i'm saying is as a group we fisherman are our own worst enemies and if we can change then maybe the rules that restrain us from ourselves will change as well.