Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2007, 06:06 PM
-NDN-

Default manitoba was not the place to fish this week on the RED

haha, what a crappy fishing week on the red river and area. water is so high up the water above the Locks at lockport was almost level with the downstream side of the Locks. Shore fishing for catfish was lousy and yet its my favourite thing to do the fish ladder was so packed with fish, i got to see carp in the 20 pound plus range, im sure some might have been 30? but im not a carp weight estimater.

I managed to call the report a poacher number as i finally had it on my cell phone this time. Reason i say this is the water was so high, and fish were held up everywhere. Im meaning Goldeye. but there was an Asian dude, with nothing more than a orange cooler, and a landing net, walking on the submerged concrete walkway, scooping up Goldeye that were trying to get away from pelicans. Since he is a fisherman that needs a licence and follow regulations, his limit is 10, and he had that limit in minutes, and was scooping them up and dropping them in the cooler for like 15 minutes after i called Poaching and Netting unlawfully. I did my good deed

managed a bunch of smaller catfish then im used too, had a hard time finding places to set up that werent overcrowded by the WhiteBucket Clan. caught a mess of channel cats, Bullheads, Drum, and goldeye. got a few pics of some, but nothing great, Septembers trip should be better.

to bad i didnt manage to get out for smallies, i couldnt make it into winnipeg from brandon on the day i needed to meet up with some buddies that were going to the Whiteshell.

Still in Manitoba, heading home soon. No pics uploaded till home
Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Default manitoba

Sounds like the fish gods weren't cooperating.
But hey you were fishing while a bunch of us......well a bunch of them were working. I was playing with my dogs and horses, waiting for the water to go down so I can go fishing.

What do you do with the drum. Caught tons whne I was young. Couldn't stand to eat them. Believe me I tried.

WhiteBucket Clan" What's that?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 PM

Too bad about the fishing conditions....take care on the roads, looks crazy out there !!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:12 PM
-NDN-

hey redfrog, I release all fish while out on these trips. Even almost get in some fights with the whitebucket clan when after i catch a fish, one of them asks me if they can have it, then i say no, catch your own, and as im lowering the fish to let it go, they have a big freak out and start screaming at me, calling me racist for not giving them the fish i caught.

what the White Bucket clan is down there, is the Asian Fisherman, who carry buckets down to lock port, or where ever they set up, bring down the husband, the wife, the 3 to 5 kids, the baby in the stroller, and grandma in the trunk, so they can catch and keep everyones limits, even grandma and the baby who cant even change thier own diapers yet alone fish.

even on the way back to brandon for the night, i stopped at the Portage Spillway to fish for a minute. 3 Asain men were on the banks. I didnt have bait, i simply asked what they were fishing for, they said mooneye, i said thx. so i tied on a catfish rig, and on a circle hook, slipped on 2 black Berkley Gulp! minnows, and within 10 seconds of casting the rig into a current seam, i had a 22 inch catfish on, fought him good, almost had the catfish to the shore, and all of a sudden one of these dudes jumped in, grabbed the catfish, tossed it on the rocks, he took my hook out and said thanks.

WTF? i said. LOL he's like saying i owed him the fish for the advice. I just laughed and told him if he didnt put the fish back into the water i was calling report a poacher with his description and car licence plate. OWN3D !!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:14 AM

Wow, you must be a pretty even tempered guy, to not send him for a swim!
I have always wanted to try the cats, I think that they would be alot of fun.
I am just not sure that I could handle people like that around. We were fishing
below Dickson one day and I noticed some people the same as you described (and yes, the whole family) fishing with pickerel rigs and minnows. I walked up to them and said "how's the fishing". They replied "one trout" (not pronounced trout though) and pointed at the water. I looked and there sat a 4lb. walleye on a stringer. I informed them that it was a walleye and they had to be released and a bait ban was in effect. They said okay. We left as they were pulling the lines from the water and headed to the top of the dam where we watched with binos. When we left, those rigs went back into the water and the walleye stayed on the stringer. We called report a poacher, an officer responded. None of them had fishing licences, all were using bait and more fish were found and all ended up being charged. We were informed of this a couple weeks later when the officer called back to let us know there was a 300.00 reward. We requested that this be put back into the report a poacher program. (Sorry, did'nt mean to hijack the thread)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Gone Hunting

NDN, I caught lots of catfish in Ont. mostly channel cats and some were large. I always let them go. The first time I ate a catfish was in Arizona last winter. It was ok, but I doubt I would order it again.

I saw the same thing on the coast with the large influx of Asians. Different culture. I use to flyfish for sea run cutthroats along the beaches. They were closed to harvest of clams and other shellfish because of danger of sewge pollution. It was common to see two or three people struggling with a garbage can half full of clams. And yes it was a family affair. They would get busted, pay a fine of a few hundred dollars and be right back again. Crab sizes or limits were just suggestions for these overachievers. Hey if the were undersized they still made soup.

I saw lifestyles and population dynamics change a lot in the 30 or so years I lived there. I loved B.C. when I moved there in '69. By the time I moved in 2001 i pretty much had come 180 degrees. Not much to like there now.

I moved to "south of Bodo" and I like it fine.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Default ?

is there a certain size limit on crabs because when i was fishing the ocean i seen a bunch of asian people keeping crabs that where like 3 inches in lenght right off the dock.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 PM

Redfrog, I don't think too many on here can appreciate "south of Bodo" !!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Gone Hunting

HPF, yep there is a size restriction on crabs, I think it is 6.5 inches. for dungeness crabs

Bushmaster, It does indeed take a special type of person to live in Bobo, and an even stranger type to live in the wilds south of Bodo

Many people I know think this is the middle of nowhere. I'm here to tell you that it is not.

But I can see the middle from here.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 PM

Thumbs up Another Manitoba update

Spent last week in the Northern Whiteshell region. Pikes were plentiful, Walleyes started off on the slow bite but picked up through the week once the Mayfly population decreased. I haven't fished this region since '99 but some of my old spots still produced even with the high water levels.
Had some good fish fry's and great weather. Sometimes you just have to go back to old places and check it out again.
PS. Only caught one scrappy 15 1/2" Smallmouth but that was fun!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
It does indeed take a special type of person to live in Bobo, and an even stranger type to live in the wilds south of Bodo
Ahh yes... Cook your own steak in the Altario bar and parking is never a problem if you want to grab a pilsner at the Compeer bar either. Good times... I like that country... my home turf is a bit further south - Acadia Valley.

Sorry to highjack NDN. Glad to hear you getting out and chasing some fins on your holiday. Don't forget to post pics upon return.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 PM
-NDN-

LOL, no worries Chet, ive already been back for a week and a couple days it think

guess i should actually upload some pics