Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

I've witnessed firsthand what the LEGAL,government sposored introduction of smallmouth bass in NB(1890s) and NS (1940s)has done to the salmon and trout fisheries in those provinces once the bucket brigaders start moving them all over the place ....you buncha phuktards.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Only one thing to say...BWAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I guess we will see.

If you are so mad about it back east why don't you move back there and fight your battle there?

If it's any of your bizness,I'm back and forth between AB and NB regularily,and I certainly am fighting the battle against chitfish in NB with passion and extreme prejudice,killing every single one of the spiny bass turds I can sink a hook into on salmon rivers and trout streams and encouraging every salmon/trout angler I meet to do the same.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Intermission

Fellas, Fellas. Easy. Take a minute to cool down and enjoy a nice wildlife video. Because "the world has gone insane and you don't know what is right."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_sfnQDr1-o
Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Only one thing to say...BWAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Not like I'd expect anything more intelligent than that to come out of your mouth.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 PM

everyone chill out...i interupt this chit show with some breaking news......Donny has been EATEN
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
Fellas, Fellas. Easy. Take a minute to cool down and enjoy a nice wildlife video. Because "the world has gone insane and you don't know what is right."

Thought you were trying to sneak in a Donny and marie like darter....
but that was ok
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
everyone chill out...i interupt this chit show with some breaking news......donny has been eaten
lol>>lol...........NICE BASS
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
lol>>lol
im at the scene live and it appears the Bass will not Eat Marie
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM

p.s....that Bass is from Moncton N.B.......my mommie inlaw sent it to me for christmas 4 years ago
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
im at the scene live and it appears the Bass will not Eat Marie
must be a francophone province highbred bass. they're a little different.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I can't believe bass would pose any problem in Alberta lakes. They live happily with pike, walleye, trout, perch, sunfish, whitefish, etc. in lakes in the east so it's not like they take over or anything. And they have been stocked in many Alberta lakes in the past but haven't ever become established except for some minor reproduction in Island Lake. So I don't think there are reasons to fear introducing this "foreign" fish... it's already been introduced to Alberta numerous times in numerous lakes. I just don't think they would do well here and stocking might be a waste of time. But if the govt. wanted to give it a try again based on new information that offered hope for successful introduction or even successful put-and-take, I'd be all for it. And apparently so would many others -- the "yes's" have pulled ahead...
there is a big difference. those lakes where you have 10 varieties of fish are HUGE. we dont have lakes that size here.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post

That's awesome.... baby monkey
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM

Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I've witnessed firsthand what the LEGAL,government sposored introduction of smallmouth bass in NB(1890s) and NS (1940s)has done to the salmon and trout fisheries in those provinces once the bucket brigaders start moving them all over the place ....you buncha phuktards.
its great how someone of your very advanced years can still get out and fish! more power to you, I hope Im still fishing when Im 120 years old!!!! nice language, you learn how to spell from FH7's great granddad?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM

You need to get out fishing soon Darter before the wife throws you in a home. First the Bow river bunger fly and now all this hahaha too good.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

ya darter, you really need some open water soon.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 PM

no one will take me.....gonna try the Ride Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey get that walleye away from my Bass no wonder they don't reproduce.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM

Come down south and bring the posse. You can slay the brookies and browns all weekend. We had a dump of snow last night but by this afternoon it had melted alot and will probably be gone by tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 PM

just spent 20 minutes trying to get a canned ham open......then sliced my finger wide open....tryed to sneak into bathroom thru the bedroom for medical supplies....but got caught.................all she said.....See this is why your not allowed to go fishing by yourself or with Duster anymore....
Old 04-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
just spent 20 minutes trying to get a canned ham open......then sliced my finger wide open....tryed to sneak into bathroom thru the bedroom for medical supplies....but got caught.................all she said.....See this is why your not allowed to go fishing by yourself or with Duster anymore....
haha. ya right. as if thats the only reason.....
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Come down south and bring the posse. You can slay the brookies and browns all weekend. We had a dump of snow last night but by this afternoon it had melted alot and will probably be gone by tomorrow.
the posse says we are going to K-lakes.......me and my tella tubby suit have been nominated to find the safe ice nearest to the open water.....good buddies fo-sure
Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Have fun and hammer them pigs.

I will be taking a belt sander to the outside of my new to me drift boat and hopefully applying a couple coats of resin or epoxy over the weekend in Taber.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

dont you have to get the walleye boat ready?jeez and your raggin on me for wanting to chuck a couple rapalas instead of workin on my boat
Old 04-15-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
there is a big difference. those lakes where you have 10 varieties of fish are HUGE. we dont have lakes that size here.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RE: Bass co-existing well with many other species in Ontario lakes...

The main lake I was fishing back then was actually very small, maybe a few square kilometres, only 10-15 feet deep at the deepest, really just a widening of the Mississippi River in eastern Ontario, a river that is smaller than the Red Deer R. in central Alberta. Yet there was a healthy population of smallmouth bass, pike, perch, and sunfish in the lake, despite heavy pressure from local cottagers. Also, at my sister's cottage in Quebec, there are lots of smallmouth bass to be caught on a small lake, not much more than a square km or two in size. As for the 10 species of fish you questioned in your response... yes, that was a broader thing, referring to all Ontario lakes where bass are present.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM

I'm appreciating the extended convo on all this because there's honestly alot of strange facts running around. I still believe the only fact that would need concern is there a lake in Alberta that would work out well for bass and or whether there's interest for the species here . I called it a split before and with such little knowledge of the provinces interest in this topic somehow it remains true there's split interests.

Smallies would be awesome, but I think the myths surrounding their damaging introduction is still unproven in any way shape or form. I think this thread is breaking some of those myths down with experience from others who fished lakes with both great bass and trout fishing and more. Things like size of the lake again are myths , it's how you perceive it.

But no matter how you look at it, there's lots of lakes around world with many species and they do very well. If your thinking well largemouth inhale small trout ? That may truly only be a rare case in California where largemouth hit 10-20 lbs let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I could imagine smallies here and with some time they may average 2 maybe 3 lbs and top out at 5 max based on montana records.

And I love the witness first hand stuff , what you put goggles on and watched 2-3 lb bass chasing 4-5 lb trout ? Pleaase

We used to have a small pond stocked with trout in southern Ontario. When the trout bite died in super hot weather the bass were always there making it fun. And even southern Ontario there was no way you would find a bass interfering with the trouts space. They aren't like pike were they could hammer what your reeling in. They segment well into less trout like areas . These fish have had an equilibrium since the beginning so , this is why all the myths are simply that .
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM

And walleye and bass have done very well together , the spawn seasons are way different, size way different as you move north . Walleye do well in cold lakes as do pike were bass less so. They spawn once with plenty of predators and on average generate a handful of successful offspring at best.

As for bucket brigade that's what laws are for bc has adapted well to this problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
That's not even a comment , so what did you witness ? How's that change to us all being phuktards?