Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Default Wedge Pond

Was wondering if anyone has been to Wedge lately and how it went.Wanting to head up there early Sat with my Kayak.Any info or tips would be great.Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Was there yesterday for a few hours, landed 2 grayling on the west side, bead head prince nymph.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Was there yesterday for a few hours, landed 2 grayling on the west side, bead head prince nymph.
Were you fishing from shore or were you floating, heading to Mnt Kidd next week with the kids

any word on Mt Lorrette pond? Kids had a blast last year after it was restocked.. I know the fish don't stand a chance for long once word gets out...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:23 PM

I was there 4 days ago, no luck. We fished a couple hours in the evening all from various spots from shore. Water is ususually high.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 PM

I was there today - water unusually high - the trails are shut and water is right up to the trees so bring waders, otherwise fly fishing will be frustrating

Spent an hour there and didn't catch anything although I did see a couple rise - also stopped off at Lorette on the way home - didn't see any fish swimming around but saw a family catch a couple using bobber floats and worms

I cast my fly line in for 30 minutes but didn't have any luck
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 PM

2 weekends ago I was at Mt Lorette and they must have just stocked it because I caught 70 rainbows by the fallen logs near the little bridge in the north part of the big pond.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info on Wedge,I was also at Mt Lorrette last weekend and not a lot of action.Just one on and lost it a shore.Really busy though.Too many people for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 AM

I was in my float tube, water very high but clear, you could see some of them cruising around the shore line, there are some mice sized fish in there but very picky on what and when they are eating? Only saw a couple of riding fish in the fee hours I was there.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info guys...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM

I fly fished Wedge this afternoon (from shore) for a couple hours on my way back from Kananaskis, not a thing. Saw a few fish rise and another cruising about 10 feet out. I used a size 14 pheasant tail nymph and a size 16 emerger pattern. The south half of the pond is currently closed as helicopters are long lining it with buckets to help douse the controlled burns. Not worth going right now as you have limited access for those thinking of driving out.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanL View Post
I was there today - water unusually high - the trails are shut and water is right up to the trees so bring waders, otherwise fly fishing will be frustrating

Spent an hour there and didn't catch anything although I did see a couple rise - also stopped off at Lorette on the way home - didn't see any fish swimming around but saw a family catch a couple using bobber floats and worms

I cast my fly line in for 30 minutes but didn't have any luck
isnt there a bain ban?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 PM

There certainly is a bait ban...hope you addressed them on this, IanL!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
There certainly is a bait ban...hope you addressed them on this, IanL!
x2.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger View Post
I fly fished Wedge this afternoon (from shore) for a couple hours on my way back from Kananaskis, not a thing. Saw a few fish rise and another cruising about 10 feet out. I used a size 14 pheasant tail nymph and a size 16 emerger pattern. The south half of the pond is currently closed as helicopters are long lining it with buckets to help douse the controlled burns. Not worth going right now as you have limited access for those thinking of driving out.
That is good info to know. Thanks for sharing. I fished here about 2 months ago now. Caught nothing as well. My wife saw a couple rise, but they were way out of casting range and the wind was blowing pretty bad. Definitely a popular spot from the yards and yards of discarded monofilament and empty bait containers ( really people, READ THE REGS, bait ban in effect) I picked up on the shore and in the water. Beautiful little pond though.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
isnt there a bain ban?
I think he's referring to lorette not wedge as to people using worms.

I stopped by Lorette one my way home from Upper K last night just to check it out...I laughed. At least Sibbald looks like..an actual fishery. I dunno, something about it just looked too easy? haha.

Do spinners work for grayling, or is it predominantly flies?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:28 AM

Yes I was referring to Lorette
Old 08-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAngler View Post
I think he's referring to lorette not wedge as to people using worms.

I stopped by Lorette one my way home from Upper K last night just to check it out...I laughed. At least Sibbald looks like..an actual fishery. I dunno, something about it just looked too easy? haha.

Do spinners work for grayling, or is it predominantly flies?
Small spinners work fine for Grayling, they are very much like trout in what they eat and will readily hit small spinners and spoons. I find Cutt's and Grayling feed in very much the same way. If you are ever up north fish the Little Smoky, wonderful Grayling fishery. Wedge gets a fair amount of pressure and the Grayling have become far more selective and hence more difficult to catch with any type of gear, particularly this time of year. Having a pontoon or float tube at Wedge is a huge advantage as most of the fish are in the deeper water in the middle of the pond beyond casting distance.