Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2016, 12:45 AM

Default 438 draw

Hi guys I've almost stopped vibrating when I went to check my draws today 438 sheep for late November said awarded. I have never hunted the area before and am new to sheep hunting. Being a little addicted to hunting I usually take three weeks off in November to sit and hunt whitetail and probably put 80 days in the field yearly if you count scouting and hunting other game but I do understand this is a whole different ball game. I am planning to make a few trips to the mine to gets some boots on the ground and understand the territory but if anyone who has ever been lucky enough to draw this tag would like to pm with any info they would like to share that would be great if not that's fine to.

Hope everyone has a great season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2016, 01:27 AM

Wow. Thats the tag to draw. Three friends have drawn the late season and they all got awesome rams. Go check the area out, its pretty small, just a few access points though the mine. Most of 438 away from the minesite gets ignored for this tag for good reason. You only have ten days so almost everyone else is also hunting the boundary. Download the mine boundaries in your gps from the teck coal website so you stay off the minesite. My advise would to be go sit in tower, climb up in the pass looking over to the cement mine and hang out. They rut in the cuts under tower and the rams end up chasing the odd hot ewe up off the mine towards the pass in tower. It will make sense once you go check the area out. You could also hang out in hot rocks or sphinx. Sphinx is a fair ways in for access, have to be prepared to camp out. Be prepared for pretty tough weather, wind and cold. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM

If you don't already have one, then go buy a GPS. Doing this hunt without a gps would be a terrible decision. Make sure all the boundary points are added to the gps. Do a scouting trip. Not to find sheep, but instead to get to know the area and have your tracks saved on your GPS. Next.... Go up to cadomin a day or two before your hint starts. Find the sheep on the lease. Use the access point closest to wear the sheep are located, and then wait for a booner to cross
Old 07-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Bdub nailed it. That is where I got my ram. The biggest thing is being able to stay up on the mountain in really ugly weather. Bring ski goggles, andmake sure you have some good gear you can layer. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 AM

What week did you draw?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Damn, your a lucky man.......glad to hear you plan on actually hunting the tag and putting in the effort needed to be successful. Never hunted 438, so i got nothing to offer except a congrats on pulling the tag and a good luck come November.....post pics when the time comes!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 PM

The 21st to 30th

Old 07-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver river game View Post
The 21st to 30th

Best week to draw! Many members on this site have drawn that tag. Pm Frans he might have suggestions. All I can say is don't be scared to lite a big fire to stay warm, cuz it will prolly be miserable and sheep don't care. If you need a hand I love those late November sheep hunts and would tag along a day or two.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Banned

Start working out. What seems to be the general consensus is that when guys draw the tag and actually go to the zone they Dont hunt as its substantially to much effort.

If you have never hunted sheep before can I ask why you would draw the tag? Do you not feel a few general seasons of sheep hunting would have given you a great advantage as to what to expect in regard to terrain and your own stamina? Areas to improve etc?

I do hope you take a Ram and have a great time, but it would be a waste of a tag and your own time and money if you went out & bought all the gear/took time off work etc to go climb one mountain, be gassed out or hurt yourself due too Ill prep and head home.

I'd recommend getting the Elk hunting online university course and going through their workout routine. That should put you in sheep shape and greatly increase your chances.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:33 AM

Ass much as being in the best shape possible is important. I'll take a guy with the right additude and mind frame any day. One of my sheep hunting partners is a slob but he never quits, just tells me to slow down. But I've seen weak minded in shape guys quite. Especially on late season hunts when nothing comes easy!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:01 AM

Good luck on your hunt I dream of getting that tag one day.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Congrats! Truly a hunt of a lifetime. I don't think the hunt is quite as good as it once was but it is still a great hunt and the 3rd week is s great one. Lots of your scouting and leg work you can do from the road. Besure you have good optics and as stated don't be scared to start a fire and definitely don't sit a day out. I was lucky enough in 2005 to draw a tag and on the 6th day of my hunt it was so foggy we almost sat the day out thinking it would be a waste of time. Long story short is by the end of the day we were packing out a beautiful 11 1/2 year old B&C Ram. So don't sit any days out, you can't kill one unless your in the hills! Good luck. Looking forward to seeing pics.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:53 PM

congrats!!! drew that tag a couple years ago and Bdub helped me harvest a beauty ram. Put some time and and make sure you know the mine boundary and best of luck!!!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 PM

Default 438 sheep

I just found out today that one of my friends also drew this tag but for the first hunt! Lucky son of a gun!!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Hey congrats. Its a great hunt. I got drawn in 2009 and I had never hunted sheep before. I hired a guide and a buddy came along for the ride. It was a great experience and I shot a 191" cranker! My son on his 17th birthday won the lottery and was drawn for the 2nd hunt in 438. So Carter and I will be there ahead of time so if u want to get together we can compare notes and hopefully we can help u on ur hunt. pm me and we can talk over a cold beer one night.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Swava View Post
Hey congrats. Its a great hunt. I got drawn in 2009 and I had never hunted sheep before. I hired a guide and a buddy came along for the ride. It was a great experience and I shot a 191" cranker! My son on his 17th birthday won the lottery and was drawn for the 2nd hunt in 438. So Carter and I will be there ahead of time so if u want to get together we can compare notes and hopefully we can help u on ur hunt. pm me and we can talk over a cold beer one night.
Sounds good!! Pm you soon!!
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Swava View Post
Would't mind one of those horse shoes!