Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 AM

Smile Stettler Pheasant Festival 2016

Hi folks, just a few suggestions based on last years experience.

1. You need a dog, you are hunting a 1/4 section of good habitat so a dog that is trained is essential.

2. We now have birds that have survived the last 2 winters and we have placed hens, so please don't shoot the hens.

3. We have a cooking class and a dog training lunch time class, the dog trainer is Randy Blanchard who I can recommend without reservation.

Last year we had 4 young fellows arrive with no dog and defender shotguns, they never saw a bird.

So if you would like to come AND YOU ARE SAFE WITH A GUN, this is a very good place to link up with people who do have dogs and could use more hunters.

Try to get in some practice, speaking for the dogs, they hate it when you miss.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 AM

This will be my first year attending, I have heard great things about the event. I would also recommend people to meet with Randy as he is a fantastic dog trainer.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 AM

With the Taber event being more difficult to get into these days, I can see this event growing quickly. I second Densa44's advice about having a dog, I know people that have walked around release sites for hours without seeing a pheasant, and we showed up with dogs and were limited out in short order.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 AM

This will be our first year going to stettler my 15 year old son is counting down the days for the festival ,it will also be the dog first time out on pheasant
Hopefully it all goes to plan
See you all out there.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:04 AM

I hope they do a better job of placing birds this year, we watched them release our birds plus extras we bought, one bird stuck in our field, spent all day walking ditches to find birds. concept is right, some field cover better than others, great alternative to chasing birds in release zones, still tough to be south alberta
Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
I hope they do a better job of placing birds this year, we watched them release our birds plus extras we bought, one bird stuck in our field, spent all day walking ditches to find birds. concept is right, some field cover better than others, great alternative to chasing birds in release zones, still tough to be south alberta
I heard the same thing from other people that attended the event last year. Apparently, they need to work on that aspect of the event.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:25 PM

Last year they released our birds 30' from the property line, it was quite a scene watching some of them bust off into another 1/4. Then the following day we were running our dogs on a bird when buddy comes bombing into the field claiming to be part of the festival and proceeded to hand out cards for his waterfowl outfit. I hope it goes great for those involved, but that was our second and last year going.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:13 PM

I have a full day booked on the Friday. It's our first time at the Badlands festival but I've heard good things in the past. I'm sure organizers have spent plenty of time going over past years events and looking to improve on any issues.

A big thanks in advance for all the work they're putting in.

(And as Densa's note suggested - you'll never hit anything with an 18" door crasher pump....)
Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 PM

Smile Angry John

If you still have that card could you send me a PM with the fellow's name. We would like to discourage that sort of thing.

Putting out the birds: some places just give them to the hunters in a crate and let them release the birds. We feel that is not a very realistic method. The second to to get volunteers to take the birds to the various site in the am and just after noon. We have had trucks get stuck in the dark causing lots of problems. The site I've hunter have worked out very well but the are all different which is part of the appeal, and we don't have a "one size fits all" solution.

We are all volunteers and are open to any suggestions that will improve the experience.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 PM

I looked at the registration online but could only find the prices .
Can anybody explain what $400 for a full day covers?
Cat
Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I looked at the registration online but could only find the prices .
Can anybody explain what $400 for a full day covers?
Cat
The registration page is sadly lacking, but I found this page. If a half day hunt includes 8 pheasants for $200, I am assuming that a whole day hunt would include 16 pheasants for $400.

http://www.stettlerboardoftrade.com/...7&PageId=11277
Old 07-26-2016, 07:01 PM

That is correct, $400.00 would give you a full day and 16 birds.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=densa44;3287682]If you still have that card could you send me a PM with the fellow's name. We would like to discourage that sort of thing.

I'll have to look around my truck, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM

is that 8 hens + 8 roosters
we can only shoot roosters,is that correct.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 PM

8 roosters, there's no hens released during the hunt.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:31 PM

Densa, your friends from Eston SK. say hi! I ran into them tonight running my Griff down a grid road.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 PM

Thanks jonn for the info
Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM

Smile Hens

We do not release any hens during the festival, BUT there are some out there as a new population is starting to grow. So...

Don't shoot the hens, ever!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 AM

Hey

Can anyone tell me the cancelation policy for this event?
cant seem to find.

My work shift is about to change and I don't know if ill be off or not this weekend.

Don't want to book if I can not cancel?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Smile Oh Dear

We have a big problem with this issue. We have to order and pay for the birds, have a volunteer ready to catch the roosters in the am and deliver them to the site. We don't know of any way to handle cancellations.

Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 AM

That is definitely understandable.

I guess ill just have to hold off booking until I know more.

When does booking Close!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Smile When we have sold all the birds we ordered.

This is a non profit all volunteer operation and we are doing the best we can. When the birds we ordered are all gone, that is it, we are lucky in that we have lots of very good land.