Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-27-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The approach that I don't recommend is to drive along fields before first light and watch for people setting up a decoy spread for a waterfowl shoot. It's pretty easy to recognize by the people walking around in the field wearing head lamps. Then you find a fence row or small bluff or some other cover a few hundred yards from the people setting up decoys to hide in, hide your vehicle close by, and wait for the birds to come to the other people's decoy spread. As the birds pass over you, headed for the decoys, you empty your gun hoping to kill a few birds even if they are 70 or 80 yards in the air. Then you quickly gather up the birds if there are any , jump in your vehicle, and drive away before the owners of the decoys come over to confront you for ruining their shoot. As unethical as it sounds, I have personally witnessed this stupidity on multiple occasions.

Well you know, I am the center of the universe so....the sooner people figure that out the easier it will be on everyone. Really, they should just shoot my ducks for me and I'll swing by and pick them up (all cleaned of course). Thanks for all the tips! Gotten me hankering to get going. Some really good ideas in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Sounds like something a former member by the name of Edmhunter might do. No greasier move than fencelining
You think?

How about an outfitter that dumps a dozen dead geese right where you parked your truck that evening?

Happened to a party hunting in the next field from where I was, I was able to back up their claim that they had only dropped four and they had those with them when stopped that night.
It saved their skins.

Nothing could be proved against the outfitter, but he does have a history of dumping dead geese. Paid a fine for it at least once that I know of.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You think?

How about an outfitter that dumps a dozen dead geese right where you parked your truck that evening?

Happened to a party hunting in the next field from where I was, I was able to back up their claim that they had only dropped four and they had those with them when stopped that night.
It saved their skins.

Nothing could be proved against the outfitter, but he does have a history of dumping dead geese. Paid a fine for it at least once that I know of.
Lol no i was just poking edmhunter. Was all in jest.

As for dunping birds, thats a whole nother level all to itself. I was sleaking more in terms of personal ethics. It is pretty greasy fencelining guys.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
I tried the canoe last season. They figured out the "big dangerous boat" thing on the water after the first shot. It was a really nice paddle. No hope at ducks.
I grass mine up and all is good
Cat
Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 PM

Regarding the suggestions about using hip waders.... be careful what kind of pond or slough you wade into. Some sloughs can have a soft bottom that can be compared to quicksand. Once you are past the knee in muck...trouble.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Lol no i was just poking edmhunter. Was all in jest.

As for dunping birds, thats a whole nother level all to itself. I was sleaking more in terms of personal ethics. It is pretty greasy fencelining guys.
You are funny!

Yeah, fencelining is low class, no doubt about, if there are hunters in the field.

But if there isn't, it used to be a favorite tactic of mine before I got my own dekes.

We all own the resource, it does not belong to only outfitters and hunting snobs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You are funny!

Yeah, fencelining is low class, no doubt about, if there are hunters in the field.

But if there isn't, it used to be a favorite tactic of mine before I got my own dekes.

We all own the resource, it does not belong to only outfitters and hunting snobs.
oh ya, I cant judge anyone for 'fencelining' when theres no one that has spoken for the field!

pretty sure elk was only referring to guys that fenceline on someones hunt, as was i
Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
oh ya, I cant judge anyone for 'fencelining' when theres no one that has spoken for the field!

pretty sure elk was only referring to guys that fenceline on someones hunt, as was i
Yes I was. It gets very upsetting to scout a field for days, figure out the best way to hunt it, get up early and drive out and set up in the dark, then sit back to wait for the birds, only to have some scumbag jump up and empty his gun and scare the birds away before they reach the spread. And in almost every case, the person is trespassing without permission.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM

If you are the only group with permission, then it matters not if you fenceline or use decoys.

However, shooting from the roadside ditch (which is legal) but without permission from the landowner to retrieve downed birds on the adjacent field regardless of whether or not another group is present on the field is another matter.