Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 PM

Default Fish Finder

Need a new fish finder. Don't need anything special, just something that will give accurate depth readings at speed. Any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 PM

Im biased towards lowrance personally. I has a gen 1 hds 7, and now a gen 3 hds 7 and it has tons of fun toys to play with... however i know guys that have compared hummingbird and lowrance side by side and the lowrance out performed the hummingbird with what it was reading... bit of a long story...

Anyway, they now have models that are pretty basic that still have the capabilities to read while up at speed. Although obviously going 50km/hr all you are going to get is depth and nothing else really... getting down to the 20-30km/hr mark will start to give you some better readings for searching for fish or structure. You should also decide if you want a gps/waypoint capability. You could easily get a used hds gen 1 or 2 for 100-250 if you want that ability etc.... or if all you want is reliable depth and some fish you may be able to do something easier like the "hook" model or along those lines.... although the gps is really quite nice.

Depends on price and features.

Good luck man
Old 09-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Spend a few $, get GPS, being able to find tracks back and set waypoints is worth its weight in gold! I am also biased towards Lowrance. I definitely prefer them and thier features.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM

I'll cast my vote for Humminbird. I had a Lowrance HDS7 Gen 1 and now have a Humminbird Helix 9 SI with auto hart linked to my MinnKota. I can honestly say that the two pieces of electronics have changed the way I fish immensely.

Build a depth contour map of your lake in real time and have your trolling motor follow the contour lines at the speed you set, adjusting for wind and waves to keep your speed consistent and steering for you. It's pretty amazing. Lowrance and Motorguide have a similar set up as well.

If you just want basic I would at least get something with GPS to make tracks and waypoints, as well as small enough to put in a portable kit to use ice fishing if you wanted. A Helix 5 or 7 Sonar - GPS would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 PM

I vote for Lowrance

An Elite Ti unit with Totalscan is a great unit for an mid line unit. It has all the features you'll need and then some. You need to install it properly to get it right at speeds. I can get my readings in 200' of water at 40mph.

Some features are the single transducer for standard 2D readings 83/200 khz and also the structurescan 455/800 khz.
Touch Screen
Sonarcharts Live
C Map Genesis
NMEA 2000 Engine Data
5,7,9 or 12"
Bluetooth and Wifi

If you have any other technical questions about Lowrance I can answer them for you.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 AM

I'm also looking to get a fish finder for next year. I'm new to the whole boating thing this year. I was looking at a Garmin Striker 4 Sonar/GPS Combo just because it has the GPS function. Has anyone had any experience with Garmin fish finders? For $180.00 at Cabelas, I don't think you will find one with GPS function for cheaper.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM

On my boat I have a Lowrance HDS10, HDS7, and a humminbird 1197c. If I could find another big Lowrance the Hbird would be a cutting board. Want NMEA2000 with Hbird? $600 for the 'option'.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
I'm also looking to get a fish finder for next year. I'm new to the whole boating thing this year. I was looking at a Garmin Striker 4 Sonar/GPS Combo just because it has the GPS function. Has anyone had any experience with Garmin fish finders? For $180.00 at Cabelas, I don't think you will find one with GPS function for cheaper.
I use it for my inflatable boat and I really like it. I don't use clear view/down view function though. I would save a $100 for chipper model that don't have it. Their marketing trick got me.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
On my boat I have a Lowrance HDS10, HDS7, and a humminbird 1197c. If I could find another big Lowrance the Hbird would be a cutting board. Want NMEA2000 with Hbird? $600 for the 'option'.
Talk to me next year, now that I prostaff for them I may upgrade when/if new stuff comes out.Currently running a Carbon 12 and 7
Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM

I have the Garmin Striker 4 on my kayak and love it. Picked it up at BPS for $130. Hard to beat that price for a GPS/sonar combo.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclerj View Post
I have the Garmin Striker 4 on my kayak and love it. Picked it up at BPS for $130. Hard to beat that price for a GPS/sonar combo.
That's kinda what I figured. I will be putting it on a 15ft tri hull, but should still work fine.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Talk to me next year, now that I prostaff for them I may upgrade when/if new stuff comes out.Currently running a Carbon 12 and 7
Just write my name on the 12 now, let me know when it is ready for pickup. Thank you!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just write my name on the 12 now, let me know when it is ready for pickup. Thank you!

May as well put my name on your 'bird then!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-18-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
May as well put my name on your 'bird then!

SS

Man I love it when a plan comes together!!!