Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 06:12 PM

Default How to get your mounts back from Africa

Just thought i would share, as i am going through the process right now.

For those thinking of bringing your mounts back from Africa (or any country for that matter) and are getting the mounts done here:

1. Your Taxidermist will inform you that your mounts are done and are ready to be shipped. Ensure they have the correct address and personal information.

2. Call Mark at Select Taxidermy Products in Calgary(I'm sure Edmonton has a place too), because your mounts will need to be cleaned and dipped and packed again (mandatory regulation by CFIA).
He will walk you through the process and give you the prices per animal for the cleaning. He also picks up your shipment from the airport and handles everything until its ready to take to your taxidermist. He will also give you the number of his broker to get the mounts in the country. (This is by far the easiest way to go about it, however its not cheap...)

3. Call the broker and give them the details. They charge about $175 to handle the paperwork, which is well worth it.

4. Inform your Taxidermist overseas of the brokers name and company, and keep your broker in the loop on the shipping details and time frame.

5. Wait for a phone call from your broker when the trophies arrive, they will contact Mark and he picks them up, then when they are done he will call you and you can deliver them to the Taxidermist of your choice over here.

Pretty simple way if you are wanting them to get done here, just remember that it is quite expensive. If anyone would like an example of what it cost me to get my animals back vs. what it cost a friend of mine to get his done there, then i would be happy to share.

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Yes..Please share your taxidermy experience...Very likely doing a trip in 15...
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Does completed taxidermy need to be cleaned again upon arrival or just hides / horns for taxi work here?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Does completed taxidermy need to be cleaned again upon arrival or just hides / horns for taxi work here?
In short no. If it is tanned or finished there it does not need the process. I am getting my taxidermist to do euro mounts on a disposable plaque for cheap. This way they are exempt from the process.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks, kinda what I thought. Just making sure I hadnt missed a step.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 PM

Test for Ebola....
Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
In short no. If it is tanned or finished there it does not need the process. I am getting my taxidermist to do euro mounts on a disposable plaque for cheap. This way they are exempt from the process.
Why do you even need the disposable plaques ?

Jamie
Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Why do you even need the disposable plaques ?

Jamie
With the cheapy plaques they are classed as completed taxidermy.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
Yes..Please share your taxidermy experience...Very likely doing a trip in 15...
No problem. I hunted the Kalahari Desert in the Northwest Province of South Africa, and the Taxidermist i used was Moredou Taxidermy in Schweizer Reneke.
Both myself and a friend each took 4 animals (Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok, and Impala), and I had mine originally dipped and packed there. The cost for going this way was going to be around $5800.00 + shipping, total-- meaning dipping and packing in SA, dipping and packing in Calgary, broker fees, and taxidermy done here.
I decided finally though to get them done there after seeing another friend of mines taxidermy from the same guy in SA. The cost for all 4 shoulder mounted was just invoiced to me at $2325.00 + shipping.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
With the cheapy plaques they are classed as completed taxidermy.
Correct^^

If you don't have the plaques then they may be subject to the mandatory cleaning by CFIA.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM

For your Kudu what is the measurment of your mount from the bottom of the briskit to horn tip ? I was in SA in April and got a 43 in Kudu and am now wondering how much wall space he will take
Thxs
Old 10-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
For your Kudu what is the measurment of your mount from the bottom of the briskit to horn tip ? I was in SA in April and got a 43 in Kudu and am now wondering how much wall space he will take
Thxs
Not sure of the measurement as they have not made it home yet. However i had the same question and measured three Kudu that were on the wall at the lodge over there. These were all straight shoulder mounts and the horn lengths varied from 48"-52", all three measured in and around 50" from bottom of the brisket, up the back to the tips of the horns. Generally the horns are on an angle so its manageable to hang on a wall.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Not sure of the measurement as they have not made it home yet. However i had the same question and measured three Kudu that were on the wall at the lodge over there. These were all straight shoulder mounts and the horn lengths varied from 48"-52", all three measured in and around 50" from bottom of the brisket, up the back to the tips of the horns. Generally the horns are on an angle so its manageable to hang on a wall.
Thanks !! Going to be a tight fit on a 8 ft wall, but worth it. The hunting / sight seeing over there is amazing iant it
Old 10-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks !! Going to be a tight fit on a 8 ft wall, but worth it. The hunting / sight seeing over there is amazing iant it
It truly is amazing, whereabouts did you hunt?!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 AM

Inland from Port Elizabeth,right in the hills in the area of the Somerset East community. The lodge was surrounded by high hills, and we headed further inland to hunt the flats.
Its a trip I would love to repeat one day, and yourself where abouts where you hunting ?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 PM

I was about 12 km south of the Botswana border, a little town called Tosca. It's the beginning of the Kalahari desert, however it was extremely thick with bush due to the large rainfall they had this year.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 PM

If your ever up this way stop in,we can share some picts and bs a bit
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Default African Trophies!

I have had quite a few trophies done and sent over from Africa and abroad. Last time from Africa was spring 2012, 2013 we went to Kamchatka, Russia and brought our bears back wiht us. Understnad there has been soem substantal rule changes since then?
Regardless, I highly recommend Kim White, Rigel logistics out of Moose Jaw SK to handle all your shipping needs,she is the BEST I've seen!! I can also recommend a couple of good African Taxidermists.
If your a first timer? - Get advice from someone who has been there and done that!
For those thinking of the "Once -in-a- lifetime" Africa hunt? Quit kidding yourself!- no one goes ONLY once!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
I have had quite a few trophies done and sent over from Africa and abroad. Last time from Africa was spring 2012, 2013 we went to Kamchatka, Russia and brought our bears back wiht us. Understnad there has been soem substantal rule changes since then?
Regardless, I highly recommend Kim White, Rigel logistics out of Moose Jaw SK to handle all your shipping needs,she is the BEST I've seen!! I can also recommend a couple of good African Taxidermists.
If your a first timer? - Get advice from someone who has been there and done that!
For those thinking of the "Once -in-a- lifetime" Africa hunt? Quit kidding yourself!- no one goes ONLY once!!!
Kim is my logistics manager. Kim says we don't need "temporary" plaques.

My zebra will be a full rug. The other 10 trophies are just skull mounts. Also a blesbok hide and an impala hide will be felt backed rugs. Taxidermy bill, including tax is about $2300 dollars. They should be ready in December or January.

If anyone knows of a good source of plaques in a dark wood, please let me know. I would have them mounted in SA, but the taxidermy costs sky rocketed this year, and on average, it would have been $150 per head to have a plaque screwed on. Last year it was quite reasonable.

Last edited by AB2506; 10-20-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
If your ever up this way stop in,we can share some picts and bs a bit
Sounds good. And I'll keep this post updated when I receive my mounts as to how the process goes. If you guys would do the same then we can help those who are going or thinking of going learn the costs and process, then they can budget accordingly.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I was about 12 km south of the Botswana border, a little town called Tosca. It's the beginning of the Kalahari desert, however it was extremely thick with bush due to the large rainfall they had this year.
Who was the outfitter there Fowl91 ???
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Sounds good. And I'll keep this post updated when I receive my mounts as to how the process goes. If you guys would do the same then we can help those who are going or thinking of going learn the costs and process, then they can budget accordingly.
That sounds good, I knoe members helped myself so returning it back to some one else is only right
Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM

I have hunted South Africa twice, had the mounts done there. Safari Taxidermy did the work both time. 9 shoulder mounts, 1 European and a flat tan Zebra. Very happy with the work. I would use them again, and probably will....just have to convince the wife the next trip will be a once in a life time hunt
Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Who was the outfitter there Fowl91 ???
I hunted with Tommy Van Vuuren of Thandeka Safaris. Definitely recommend him for anyone looking to go. More than willing to customize hunts for anybody.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Tips for Getting Taxidermy back from SA

Hello Gents, I'm thinking of booking a trip to SA shortly. I would be getting mounts done there. I'm a first timer, so any info will be helpful. Broker? Have regulations changed any? Thanks.

Mad

Last edited by madman; 02-02-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Mad, talk to Dale or one of his staff at Talon Distributors in Edmonton. He should be up to date on things. He and his team did a great job for us,

https://find-open.ca/edmonton/talon-...ion-ltd-117982