Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM

Default Draw booklet out!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

Thanks for the heads up dmcbride...
Old 05-26-2015, 12:44 PM

Well There's the Bull Elk draw for Suffield...20.000 applicants???

Neil
Old 05-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Also sad to see all closer 500 zones/WMU's are special licence now for bowhunting also...

Neil
Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM

This is huge....

"Landowners who are unsuccessful in either the Antlered or Antlerless Elk Special Licence draw process may apply for an Antlerless
Elk Landowner Licence."

Neil
Old 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM

and since I am on a roll............

"The levy fee for hunting licences collected by the Alberta Conservation Association has been increased for most hunting licences. The
new costs of licences can be found on pages 49 – 52."

ACA is a worthwhile cause....

It just seems that "less for more" feeling is overwhelming...However I am still elated with what we do have !!!
and am thankful...

Neil
Old 05-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Maybe with the inside the base hunt opening up it'll weed out a bunch of high priorities and give use guys with 7/8 a better chance at drawing some great tags sooner
Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Maybe with the inside the base hunt opening up it'll weed out a bunch of high priorities and give use guys with 7/8 a better chance at drawing some great tags sooner
999 also already allows for that.

LC
Old 05-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Is the base hunt on priority or a lottery?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Priority
Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Is the base hunt on priority or a lottery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Priority
Priority
Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Thanks
Old 05-26-2015, 09:30 PM

That's weird, nothing in there about the grizzly hunt as was mentioned in another thread about a week ago. Maybe the reputable sources missed it.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
That's weird, nothing in there about the grizzly hunt as was mentioned in another thread about a week ago. Maybe the reputable sources missed it.
Forgot about that lol. Damn I even cleared a wall for the rug.........
Old 05-27-2015, 01:03 AM

Default Antlerless elk

I am very curious to see what the draw stats are in relation to tags available in 2014 compared to 2015 in zones where they have opened up a late season! They MUST be giving more tags.

Unless someone has info on where to get numbers on tags available for this season???
Old 05-27-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Also sad to see all closer 500 zones/WMU's are special licence now for bowhunting also...

Neil
Being a resident of WMU 502 and living within 5 minutes of 501 and 514, I think it could remain general if we had more enforcement as for every legal bow kill I hear of I hear of 1-2 illegal kills.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Being a resident of WMU 502 and living within 5 minutes of 501 and 514, I think it could remain general if we had more enforcement as for every legal bow kill I hear of I hear of 1-2 illegal kills.
I'm in the same situation as you, have not checked yet but does this pertain to buying a moose tag across the counter for archery is now over?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
It's disappointing the 500 zones I hunt are no longer general tag for archery moose. I'd rather see fewer draws issued and increase priority (I think a p2 gets you a moose) and leave archery as is. But, the numbers are really hurting, so maybe they need to reduce harvests. I'll definitely be watching to see how many draw tags are issued.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 AM

Unless I'm missing something , it looks like there is no seperate archery draw for mule deer yet . All the same as last year .
Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Unless I'm missing something , it looks like there is no seperate archery draw for mule deer yet . All the same as last year .
The major talked about changes were not ratified in time.

LC
Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I'm in the same situation as you, have not checked yet but does this pertain to buying a moose tag across the counter for archery is now over?
Pretty much unless you are in a "bow zone"

LC
Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Pretty much unless you are in a "bow zone"

LC
Moose archery confuses me most on "whys" with our system...

I dont understand why in WMU's with such high moose populations are we going on draw... years ago Moose archery was put on draw in most of the province because moose numbers were down in areas...

It was to be a short term program...with "Moose management"

I understand poaching is a big and serious problem, but I fail to see how putting moose on draw will solve that...

Neil
Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Moose archery confuses me most on "whys" with our system...

I dont understand why in WMU's with such high moose populations are we going on draw... years ago Moose archery was put on draw in most of the province because moose numbers were down in areas...

It was to be a short term program...with "Moose management"

I understand poaching is a big and serious problem, but I fail to see how putting moose on draw will solve that...

Neil
I read a report/statement many years back that basically said the end goal is to eventually have every tag on draw for all species...I wish I could find where I saw that! But it seems to be the case.

Another part of the issue is in many zones all moose were general....cow,calves and Bulls....if it was left to only bull harvest things could have lasted longer. Personal restraint goes a long way in maintaining decent numbers.

LC
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Having said what I said in above post ...Moose archery over the counter General is not over in Alberta...there are still over 50 WMU's open to Moose Archery PLUS the bowzones...one will just have to travel further if one doesnt live in these areas...

Check the NON Draw Archery seasons....

http://albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/hu...egulations.pdf

Neil
Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I read a report/statement many years back that basically said the end goal is to eventually have every tag on draw for all species...I wish I could find where I saw that! But it seems to be the case.

Another part of the issue is in many zones all moose were general....cow,calves and Bulls....if it was left to only bull harvest things could have lasted longer. Personal restraint goes a long way in maintaining decent numbers.

LC
Agreed ...I worked with a biologist out west near Rocky when the Archery moose first became draw across the board...near 20 years ago and remains so..

They had ridiculous moose draw tags numbers for each zone...like 8 tags for a huge Zone...archery/rifle combined....

I explained it wasnt the hunting, ticks or hard winters...Sun pine pulp mill went thru and ravaged old timber forests and the predators moved in...was seeing wolf...grizzly and up to five cougars a week...and on one stand five cougars in one day....We recorded sighting of 50 cow moose that year...NOT ONE calf...My last general arcghery Moose bull there [the end of my 28 moose in 28 years]

Chased out of one stand by grizzly...

I preserved the hide to show F&W...there was a cougar/bear claw swip down one ribcage...wounds on neck and over 40...thats FOURTY punture wounds on the hamstrings/hind leg rump of that bull from wolves...

They needed to work on other issues other than eliminate hunting!!

They worked with us and up-ed the number of tags...doubled but that still was only approx 16 tags...a 5 year wait at best then...

Neil
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Agreed ...I worked with a biologist out west near Rocky when the Archery moose first became draw across the board...near 20 years ago and remains so..

They had ridiculous moose draw tags numbers for each zone...like 8 tags for a huge Zone...archery/rifle combined....

I explained it wasnt the hunting, ticks or hard winters...Sun pine pulp mill went thru and ravaged old timber forests and the predators moved in...was seeing wolf...grizzly and up to five cougars a week...and on one stand five cougars in one day....We recorded sighting of 50 cow moose that year...NOT ONE calf...My last general arcghery Moose bull there [the end of my 28 moose in 28 years]

Chased out of one stand by grizzly...

I preserved the hide to show F&W...there was a cougar/bear claw swip down one ribcage...wounds on neck and over 40...thats FOURTY punture wounds on the hamstrings/hind leg rump of that bull from wolves...

They needed to work on other issues other than eliminate hunting!!

They worked with us and up-ed the number of tags...doubled but that still was only approx 16 tags...a 5 year wait at best then...

Neil
I would think that ESRD likes normal predator/prey interactions that you showed them. It would support the idea that they are managing the populations properly. Most biologists work on the idea that the health of an ecosystem can be analyzed by looking at the top end predators, grizzly bears, wolves and cougars. If they are have healthy populations then the ecosystem is doing well, in general.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
This is huge....

"Landowners who are unsuccessful in either the Antlered or Antlerless Elk Special Licence draw process may apply for an Antlerless
Elk Landowner Licence."

Neil
I like that. If landowner tags are about population control then that makes the most sense.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
I would think that ESRD likes normal predator/prey interactions that you showed them. It would support the idea that they are managing the populations properly. Most biologists work on the idea that the health of an ecosystem can be analyzed by looking at the top end predators, grizzly bears, wolves and cougars. If they are have healthy populations then the ecosystem is doing well, in general.
Agreed ...But when your group see's and records 50 cow moose in one area in the fall with not one calf...that predation is an issue!!

Neil
Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Neil
This really sucks as we made great efforts to get permission in some prime moose country last year and bow hunted seeing 10 moose in 2 days, taking a decent bull on the last with out bow......Well so much for that for a few years
Old 05-27-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Agreed ...But when your group see's and records 50 cow moose in one area in the fall with not one calf...that predation is an issue!!

Neil
But you also seen 50 cows, that could be seen as a healthy number in itself. I have worked on some deer population studies with ESRD in the past and with the lack of funding, many biologists have had to be creative in doing population surveys. I know we are on the same page, I am not sure ESRD is though. LOL My theory is:

Save a moose, shoot a bear!! or wolf or cougar LOL its all good!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
But you also seen 50 cows, that could be seen as a healthy number in itself. I have worked on some deer population studies with ESRD in the past and with the lack of funding, many biologists have had to be creative in doing population surveys. I know we are on the same page, I am not sure ESRD is though. LOL My theory is:

Save a moose, shoot a bear!! or wolf or cougar LOL its all good!

On same page...like your theory...better than Ralph Klein's "3-S theroy" Shoot, Shovel & Shut up...lol

Neil