Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Bow vs Rifle draw?

Is there a difference?
Just confirming info for a new bow hunter.
If I draw Antlered Mule Deer in 214. Can I use a bow (with permit) during bow season with the same tag as rifle season?
Then with the same tag, if unsuccessful with the bow. Hunt with rifle in rifle season?
Does the bow season end when rifle opens or do they overlap.
Same question with Elk and Moose in other zones?

If that makes any sense whatsoever???
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
Is there a difference?
If I draw Antlered Mule Deer in 214. Can I use a bow (with permit) during bow season with the same tag as rifle season?
Then with the same tag, if unsuccessful with the bow. Hunt with rifle in rifle season?

Currently there is no bow vs. rifle draw, there are archery SEASONS and General SEASONS that require a draw.

If you are drawn you can hunt with archery tackle during the archery only season, then when the general draw season starts you can continue hunting with the bow or switch to the rifle, the draw allows you to do that.

There is a section explaining this in the draw booklet.

LC
Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 AM

To add if you get the draw for a certain WMU you can only hunt that species in ONLY that WMU with either bow or rifle...

So there is no Draw for rifle....than go general elsewhere with a bow...you are comitted to that WMU with both rifle and/or bow!

Make sence?
Lol
Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 AM

I might add. If you have a general tag that allows you to hunt in a zone during archery season, let's say for mule deer. But there is a rifle draw season in that same zone. Once the rifle season opens you can no longer hunt mule deer in that zone, even with a bow, without the special license.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
Is there a difference?

If the tag is for rifle season you cannot use it for bow season. But like Lefty Said you can use your bow tag during rifle season, also Hunters may not possess both an Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence and a Mule Deer Licence.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage.0 View Post
If the tag is for rifle season you cannot use it for bow season. But like Lefty Said you can use your bow tag during rifle season, also Hunters may not possess both an Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence and a Mule Deer Licence.
That is not correct. Not sure if I am reading your message wrong but wanted to clarify? Lefty's message is correct but your wording rage seems to contradict it. If you are drawn for a special license for antlered mule deer as an example in a zone that has a general season for archery mule deer. You can hunt for antlered mule deer in that zone during archery season as well as rifle season and can continue to hunt with your bow during rifle season. If you have a general mule deer tag to use during bow season, and there is a draw rifle season for mule deer in that zone, you cannot hunt mule deer in that zone, even with your bow, during the Nov draw season.

So the answer is yes you can hunt during archery season as well as rifle season in 214 if you are drawn and hold the special license.

Last edited by abhunter8; 06-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage.0 View Post
There is no "bow tag" per se. If the zone has a draw/or non-draw archery only season and a later draw general season then if you are drawn you can hunt both with a single license/tag in that WMU ONLY.

LC
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
That is not correct. Not sure if I am reading your message wrong but wanted to clarify? Lefty's message is correct but your wording rage seems to contradict it. If you are drawn for a special license for antlered mule deer as an example in a zone that has a general season for archery mule deer. You can hunt for antlered mule deer in that zone during archery season as well as rifle season and can continue to hunt with your bow during rifle season. If you have a general mule deer tag to use during bow season, and there is a draw rifle season for mule deer in that zone, you cannot hunt mule deer in that zone, even with your bow, during the Nov draw season.

So the answer is yes you can hunt during archery season as well as rifle season in 214 if you are drawn and hold the special license.
This is right..."That is not correct"....

If the season for archery is draw and also draw for Rifle...and you apply and get the Rifle...that applies for both archery and rifle...as Lefty stated there is no Archery only or rifle only if there are both bow and rifle draw on same WMU...

Lol

K everybody hands up who is confused....lol

Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
This is right..."That is not correct"....

If the season for archery is draw and also draw for Rifle...and you apply and get the Rifle...that applies for both archery and rifle...as Lefty stated there is no Archery only or rifle only if there are both bow and rifle draw on same WMU...

Lol

K everybody hands up who is confused....lol

Neil
Lets make it more confusing!! LOL

your scenario is correct for most species unless its an antelope. Those critters require a special draw for either season. For all other species its as you stated Neil.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Hahahaha, look at the interpretation of something that should be clear, concise
and easy to understand....

Another good example of a bad example are the fishing regulations....hmmmm!

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
Lets make it more confusing!! LOL

your scenario is correct for most species unless its an antelope. Those critters require a special draw for either season. For all other species its as you stated Neil.
Lol Correct ...but that states Archery Antelope only season...

Neil
Old 06-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Clear as mud.

But I think I got it.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 06-04-2015, 08:40 AM

hahahaha, lets just say this.

In each zone there are specific rules pertaining to special license draws whether it be archery or rifle. Archery only has its owns rules depending on the zone and so does the general season. Do your homework, read the regs until you have clearly identified what your tag limitations are.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Probably the easiest way to say this would be...

On same WMU..

Archery season open/General...rifle season draw...get draw- hunt both!
Both Archery/rifle season draw...get draw - hunt both
States Archery only or rifle only draw...figure it out!! lol

Neil