Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Default Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter VS Mystery Ranch Metcalf

Hey all,

I was planning on buying a new pack this winter and I was dead set on the Metcalf until I found the Outdoorsmans Optics hunter. I was just wondering if anyone has had either of these packs and if they could share some pros and cons. I'm heading on a trip to Idaho this fall so I want a pack that will last.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 PM

I've used mystery ranch packs for years. I would have a hard time using anything else. Bomb proof and they carry weight well. I'd also add that if you are not using it for multiple days I'd look at the pintler.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-26-2017, 10:54 PM

I have a Metcalf gen 1, and a 6500 paired with a NICE frame. The packs as mentioned above are built to last. No gimmicks just a solid functional frame and bag. I may add that their packs are no longer manufactured in the USA. Also the Guide light frame now offered is a bit different than the NICE. As for Outdoorsman packs I have no experience. I have looked at Stone Glacier packs and they too are of high quality and recommendation.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've used mystery ranch packs for years. I would have a hard time using anything else. Bomb proof and they carry weight well. I'd also add that if you are not using it for multiple days I'd look at the pintler.
For the most part I will be using it 5-7 days. I have a Kuiu Icon 7000 that im going to sell. Its just too big for what I want to use it for. If I do go with the Optic Hunter it has a attach 2000 cubic in pod you can buy for it.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
For the most part I will be using it 5-7 days. I have a Kuiu Icon 7000 that im going to sell. Its just too big for what I want to use it for. If I do go with the Optic Hunter it has a attach 2000 cubic in pod you can buy for it.
Looking at both I'd go with the Mystery Ranch. It also has load cells to add space.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Outdoorsman's Pack

After looking at many packs and the quality for price, I am going with the Outdoorsman's long range hunter pack. I will be ordering mine this winter as well. They just seem like the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertanoutdoorsman View Post
After looking at many packs and the quality for price, I am going with the Outdoorsman's long range hunter pack. I will be ordering mine this winter as well. They just seem like the best bang for the buck.
You can spend a little more now and just get the MR, or you can try to save a few buck and get the outdoorsman,
After a season I'm sure you'll be looking to upgrade, upgrading is Not cost effective and youll spend a lot more in the long run ....

There is no other bag in this price point that will handle the load like the MR
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
You can spend a little more now and just get the MR, or you can try to save a few buck and get the outdoorsman,
After a season I'm sure you'll be looking to upgrade, upgrading is Not cost effective and youll spend a lot more in the long run ....

There is no other bag in this price point that will handle the load like the MR
Are there any of their packs that have the rifle holder on the back of the pack rather than on the side? Are there any of them that can work with a bow as well as the rifle? Again on the back? This is a large part of the reason that I like the Outdoorsman Long Range Pack, keep the weight in the center of the pack and being able to take a bow and a rifle on a long distance hunt.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:05 AM

My biggest problem with it is iam not a plastic fan, they say the frame weighs 2lbs but the whole thing weighs 7lbs + Does the bag really weigh over 5lbs? And why on earth do we put up with bags not being 100% water proof? I have to buy a rain cover? At a extra cost non the less. Lol that goes for alot of major pack manufacturs.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 PM

There is no way I would pick the outdoorsman over the mystery ranch. There should be a few ways to put a rifle in the centre of the pack.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There is no way I would pick the outdoorsman over the mystery ranch. There should be a few ways to put a rifle in the centre of the pack.
Just loose the bag slightly off the frame and tighten the rifle down.

I'm with you, no way I would be picking the Outdoorsman over the MR. After trying many of them, I opted for a Kifaru over the MR, mainly due to customization.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM

All you guys trashing the outdoorsmans are way off base.

It's a bombproof pack and the design is awesome. Easy access for trekking poles, spotting scope and tripod. There is tons of room, especially with the accessory pod which I have. The frame is exceptionally comfortable and adjusting it to fit is super easy. The meat carrying system is great. Pack detaches from the frame super easily and the shelf on the frame is a lifesaver. The notch in the top of the frame is a perfect rest for seated shots. I shot a fallow deer and two goats this past weekend from seated and it's a nice stable rest.

Having the rifle carrier in the center is a vast improvement on any side rifle carrier. Don't knock it until you try it.

My only complaint is that the rain cover will struggle to fit over the accessory pod when full if you don't buy the bigger one. But that may be because I've got my -25 degree sleeping bag occupying a ton of space.

Honestly you won't be disappointed with the outdoorsmans. It has served me super well both bear hunting back home in AB and here in NZ up Tahr hunting on the southern alps.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertanoutdoorsman View Post
Are there any of their packs that have the rifle holder on the back of the pack rather than on the side? Are there any of them that can work with a bow as well as the rifle? Again on the back? This is a large part of the reason that I like the Outdoorsman Long Range Pack, keep the weight in the center of the pack and being able to take a bow and a rifle on a long distance hunt.
I like to keep my gun so I can shoulder it under a couple seconds, I hunt where there is a ever growing population of grizzly bears . Aggressive charges and serious encounters happen very fast . I built a custom holder but the kifaru gun barrer is similar . It's easy to make a strap to hold the butt n use the compression straps to secure the gun . Same can be done for bows

I treat a lot of my gear with liquid silicone for water proofing , works really good. Just not good on leather
Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post

It's a bombproof pack and the design is awesome. Easy access for trekking poles, spotting scope and tripod. There is tons of room, especially with the accessory pod which I have. The frame is exceptionally comfortable and adjusting it to fit is super easy. The meat carrying system is great. Pack detaches from the frame super easily and the shelf on the frame is a lifesaver. The notch in the top of the frame is a perfect rest for seated shots. I shot a fallow deer and two goats this past weekend from seated and it's a nice stable rest.

Having the rifle carrier in the center is a vast improvement on any side rifle carrier. Don't knock it until you try it.

My only complaint is that the rain cover will struggle to fit over the accessory pod when full if you don't buy the bigger one. But that may be because I've got my -25 degree sleeping bag occupying a ton of space.

Honestly you won't be disappointed with the outdoorsmans. It has served me super well both bear hunting back home in AB and here in NZ up Tahr hunting on the southern alps.

Have you ever owned a MR
Or is the outdoorsman the best pack you've used to date ?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I don't own this pack yet, but from what I see it is the best out there. I don't think I could ever justify the Kifaru's price Tag either but at an even playing field I like the outdoorsman better. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2017, 02:51 PM

No worries dude.

I've seen both Remi Warren and Steve Rinella use this pack and Steve even recommends it in his guide book. I figured if it's good enough for them it'll do for me and it hasn't disappointed.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
No worries dude.

I've seen both Remi Warren and Steve Rinella use this pack and Steve even recommends it in his guide book. I figured if it's good enough for them it'll do for me and it hasn't disappointed.
I have seen it on there too. I had similar thoughts, but did my research on the matter too. This was the best pack for my use that I could find.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
I have a Metcalf pack. Love it. It carries weight great.
But if you plan on 5-7 day hunts, you might find it a little small. I'm thinking of getting the Marshall bag just for this reason.

Jimbo's in Calgary has both in stock so you can compare.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 PM

I've been using a MR pack as well for a long time and works great. Quality is superb. I've decided to give a Kifaru a shot and see how they work. Should have it in a couple weeks.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:52 PM

My main hunting pack has been the Longbow. I think I got one of the first ones off the line. I just picked up a Pintler. Basically a Longbow on a guide light frame. It has some nice new features and I'm very pleased with it. My only complaint is no hanging strap for the wall on it. But I have resolved that issue quite easily.

-Billy Molls