Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM

Default New day pack reccomendations.

My old canvas mill surp "Carson 1 1/2" day pack finally gave up the ghost on a snowshoeing trip today. I dug that thing out of a truck headed to the dump when I was 12 years old and painstakingly scraped all the mildew off of the leather straps with a jack knife, I cant even remember how many new packs that thing has outlasted since then, but sadly it is now time for a new one.

Given the life I got out of that pack I am strongly considering getting another pack of the same type from Duluth or Frost River, but before I make the decision I thought I'd see what other options people would recommend. I don't carry very much in my day pack, mostly just a sweater, some water and a little bit of survival gear, sometimes some rain gear. I don't like excessive padding on the straps, I don't like Velcro, I don't like dozens of teeny tiny pockets, I do value durability and simplicity. Thanks for your advise
Old 02-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Eberlestock X1E.

http://www.eberlestock.com/X1E.htm
Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 PM

I'm in the same boat. Narrowed my search down to Exo Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
This is correct.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Mine gave out last year as well and after a bunch of reading ended up getting a Badlands pack. Have not got a chance abuse it or anything but it looks very well made and had the features I wanted. Picked it up 50% off at Cabelas.

The Badlands Diablo Daypack features nearly 1900 cubic inches of storage, a Hypervent Suspension System which allows cool air to flow between you and the pack, 6 pockets and is compatible with bows. Super lightweight, versatile and built with an internal frame. Great for hunting trips. Manufacturers unconditional lifetime warranty.
Camo pattern: Realtree XTRA
Dimesions: 23" x 14" x 10"
Weight: 3-1/8 lb.
Capacity: 1900 cu. in.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:07 AM

My ancient MEC bag was no longer doing it for me on day hikes and hunts, so I bought an Osprey Kestrel 32 (https://www.ospreypacks.com/ca/en/pr...REL32_736.html)

I've been very happy with it. I used it this past hunting season. Sits well on my back, fits the required gear for the day, comes with a rain cover, and isn't full of hidden pockets etc. Osprey warranties are unmatched.

~$200 and can be had an Atmosphere, probably Sport Check, or online.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:33 AM

A few years ago I bought a North Face day Pack from Wholesale Sports. Even though I loaded the pack in the store and walked around with it for awhile I find it is too large for my short back and no way to adjust it. You can put all the weight on the shoulder straps like an old trapper nelson pack or have the hip belt tightened up and the pack bulges over your backside. So I am saying to get a pack that fits your back or has some adjustment not just shoulder strap adjustment. That being said the best pack I had was a Berghaus pack I bought 30 years ago and seemed to fit my back. I bought that pack at the Monods store in Banff but have not seen Berghaus packs around lately that you could try on.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM

Mystery Ranch BigHorn is a really nice size for a day pack
There's one in the Buy n Sell ,