Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Define petty crime.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t report theft or break ins.

If you don’t it is you to blame for not letting police know where they have crime to address.
Someone steals a $10K quad or $50K truck, it'll get reported.

What about $20 worth of fuel?
Old 03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Stats were provided. Fee free to find other stats to suit your position. Fact is crime is decreasing in Canada.

Remember that graph is for all of Canada. In specific areas crime can be higher than other areas.

In those areas policing practices need to be adjusted accordingly.
The 14% number was for rural crime. In Alberta I presume. Lots of oilfield crime as well. I would say oilfield theft is more prominate in my area then household thefts. I have not heard about much theft in my immediate area. There was a bunch of dog thefts which rumòr had it was for bait dogs for a dog fighting ring. I am fairly confident that this rumor is true.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Some might not report the quad either if there was no insurance on it.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:41 AM

I think its perfectly reasonable for rural folks to be armed when confronting thieves, just keep the firearm pointed muzzle earthwards as a visible deterrent and if the other party chooses to escalate things then so be it. People should not be afraid at their home. There is no requirement that one retreats when on their own property. I once had to take down an obnoxious drunk who spilled onto my property from a neighbors party who decided to 'stand his ground' and be belligerent while in my yard, as the police had already been called they were not remotely interested in charging me for introducing the fellows face to the gravel out on the street. Took him down while in my pajamas . People in the party crowd noted he was semi famous, like an alternate for the Flames or something......

Anyways, I digress. With having seen and heard of a multitude of instances where armed thieves were on peoples property, including ones that even had security video of the event, its not 'going overboard' to try to maintain an upper hand, or at worst, an even hand against armed intruders who are most likely high as kites on meth or what have you. I also keep in mind all the news articles of the police shootings of late; that's not due to trigger-happy cops, its due to dangerous junkies who won't comply and get too aggressive for their own good. They frequently opt to use vehicles as weapons, they will stop at absolutely nothing to get to their next fix. As for myself, Homey don't play that game......
Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

I agree caber. If they don't respect the cops why would they respect a homeowner.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Like sitting ducks': Rural property owners looking for use-of-force solutions

Rural crime jumps 41%

"We are hearing that often times drugs are involved and you can't really predict that behaviour," Oel said. Some landowners feel criminals are treated better than victims of crime

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4570602

Eddie Maurice defense fund:

donations can be made at any TD band on account number # 8079-6142303

also EMT's can be sent to helpeddiemaurice@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 PM

I should correct one part of my last post. It’s not just rural folks for which I think this is reasonable, but everyone. The concept that urban dwellers should be less defensive due to the fact that emergency services are a bit quicker to respond is of little comfort, perhaps all that means is EMS can get to the unarmed & seriously injured homeowner more quickly, whether or not they’re saveable. In a perfect world a homeowner physically attacked by thieves should not require anything aside from a pat on the back for their judicious marksmanship or swing & follow though, depending if they’ve got hickory or steel.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
He's saying. Come take my stuff I've got insurance. He's also saying don't hurt me just take my stuff.
Your reading comprehension needs work. How do you figure I'm inviting anyone to steal my stuff? I never said I wouldn't confront a theif? In fact I expressly said anyone that passes my house on the dead end road I live on gets a visit from me to find out who they are.

You keep taking your pot shots though. You're are as transparent as glass man.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Your reading comprehension needs work. How do you figure I'm inviting anyone to steal my stuff? I never said I wouldn't confront a theif? In fact I expressly said anyone that passes my house on the dead end road I live on gets a visit from me to find out who they are.

I understand what you are saying. Some have said way to much.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Tyler Thompson

So it's okay for thieves to go in yards and steal? Don't confront them. Insurance will take care of it.
But "anyone that passes my house on the dead end road I live on gets a visit from me to find out who they are. " What makes this okay? So you police the road?
These are valid questions.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Default Had an oilfield client here 2 weeks ago

they have an oilfield shack broken into on average every second or third day. Usual item stolen is a $165 battery they then sell to the junkyard for $20.
Aside from the battery it costs him over $200 to fix the door and lock they broke to get in to the battery. Figure the cost per year!! he figures it is meth heads and desperate people in central alberta since the down turn. they now treat as maintenance as insurance increase cost of these claims would be astronomical. You would wonder why a police trip to the scrape yards would not reveal who is doing this routinely each week by the people bringing in a lot of batteries.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Banned

we place GPS units batteries in solar set ups as "bait" they get stolen very often. They always end up in the same communities. Keeps me employed
Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
they have an oilfield shack broken into on average every second or third day. Usual item stolen is a $165 battery they then sell to the junkyard for $20.
Aside from the battery it costs him over $200 to fix the door and lock they broke to get in to the battery. Figure the cost per year!! he figures it is meth heads and desperate people in central alberta since the down turn. they now treat as maintenance as insurance increase cost of these claims would be astronomical. You would wonder why a police trip to the scrape yards would not reveal who is doing this routinely each week by the people bringing in a lot of batteries.
I bring in copper and brass scrap and the yard records both my drivers license number and my vehicle registration, it’s a local bylaw apparently. The drivers license has been a thing for years but recent trips in also wanted the registration. Somewhat ironic as I’m also their service plumber of choice at the very same scrapyard...... I guess they appreciated when I brought in a load of steel and was diligent enough to separate out the rolls of 1/4” wire rope in it for them, fellow,asked for my card right there. The stuff tangles and can jam the shredder.

Anyways, perhaps those batteries are going elsewhere such as a fence or Kijiji, that or they might have found a scrapyard that skirts the rules. I know I’ve never seen batteries that look very new at the scrapyards I’ve been.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Had a toolbox full of tools stolen. I know who has them. Reported to the RCMP. They asked me if they were marked for identification purposes. No. Then they tell me it is not their concern, that it would be my word against theirs as who’s tools they were so it is a civil matter. Lots of instances like this do not go into stats
Old 03-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield303 View Post
Tyler Thompson

So it's okay for thieves to go in yards and steal? Don't confront them. Insurance will take care of it.
But "anyone that passes my house on the dead end road I live on gets a visit from me to find out who they are. " What makes this okay? So you police the road?
that he goes and says hello to someone instead of packing his guns to blow a guys brains out? Any reasonable person would go and say hello.

Not everyone is paranoid and delusional.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

I think peoples paranoid delusions are running rampant. Your common sense approach to things really has some upset.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Crime is on the rise.

Quote:
Stats were provided. Fee free to find other stats to suit your position. Fact is crime is decreasing in Canada.

Remember that graph is for all of Canada. In specific areas crime can be higher than other areas.

In those areas policing practices need to be adjusted accordingly.
Crimes reported to the police in Canada have been on the rise since 2014 your chart stops before that so that’s old news it had been going down until 2014 but not anymore.
This is 2018.
Why did you pic that chart and not a more current one?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Banned

My reading comprehension is just fine so is my memory. Seems to me you're quite fine paying for insurance and getting new stuff to replace the things that were stole. Fine with me. You do things your way and I'll do things mine.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield303 View Post
Tyler Thompson

First off there's no p in my name. It's literally written there for you.

Secondly, I've said multiple times it is not ok for thieves to steal from folks.

Third, if I did get robbed and I wasn't there or couldn't do anything about it then yes that's why I carry insurance.

Fourth, that dead end road has 2 other families on it. Both homes have good people living there who look out for each other. It is also the only way to access 12 quarters of prime hunting land that is owned by I rancher I bought my acreage from who is also a high school friend of mine. He doesn't live on the farm so he asked me to watch for poachers. So yes if I don't know your vehicle I'll jump in mine and follow you till you stop and we can have a chat about who you are and what you're doing. I'm not policing, just acting as a concerned neighbor. Yes I think this is ok.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
My reading comprehension is just fine so is my memory. Seems to me you're quite fine paying for insurance and getting new stuff to replace the things that were stole. Fine with me. You do things your way and I'll do things mine.
I haven't ever been robbed. But if it does happen then that's why I carry insurance. If the thieves can't be scared off then my next priority would be to protect my family. Going outside to get in a gun fight is not on my list of responsible actions.

What exactly is your way of dealing with such a situation?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post

Theres a weird mentality around here where people need to gang up against someone if he doesnt agree with others.
Is it people ganging up on him or is it just that there are way more people who think differently?

I've noticed that most odd balls only post in the general section and never on any of the actual outdoor sub forums here. I think there is a direct relation, seems some just troll the general forum to stir the pot.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wrong!, you never get what you had, been there done that with insurance, second that's fine I like insurance going up often because of claims.

I really wonder what he would do, if he couldn't fight because the criminal was superior in fighting skills and was determined to burn his house down, cops are to far away, but still could deter the criminal just enough to get a gun, after all he has fire insurance. Just watch it burn lol.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The 14% number was for rural crime. In Alberta I presume. Lots of oilfield crime as well. I would say oilfield theft is more prominate in my area then household thefts. I have not heard about much theft in my immediate area. There was a bunch of dog thefts which rumòr had it was for bait dogs for a dog fighting ring. I am fairly confident that this rumor is true.
Oil patch theft is bad for sure. Just another problem plaguing business.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Crimes reported to the police in Canada have been on the rise since 2014 your chart stops before that so that’s old news it had been going down until 2014 but not anymore.
This is 2018.
Why did you pic that chart and not a more current one?
Cause I went fishing and it was at the top of google. Just back. Go look for a newer one. I will be happy to see it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Rural crime jumps 41%

"We are hearing that often times drugs are involved and you can't really predict that behaviour," Oel said. Some landowners feel criminals are treated better than victims of crime

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4570602

Eddie Maurice defense fund:

donations can be made at any TD band on account number # 8079-6142303

also EMT's can be sent to helpeddiemaurice@gmail.com
41% could be valid however one needs to see that data. Crime could go up 50% if one year it was 2 and the next year 3 incidents.

Maybe someone can find it.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:

If a person knows they are robbed they will likely report. I would say there is a higher probability of it reported today than 40 years ago.

Likely someone might not notice.

If I lived in the country I would put a jerry can of gasoline out where a thief would see it.

Put a note on it that says please do not steal. Help will be offered to those in need. Ask first.

In said jerry can of gasoline put in a few cups of sugar.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I haven't ever been robbed. But if it does happen then that's why I carry insurance. If the thieves can't be scared off then my next priority would be to protect my family. Going outside to get in a gun fight is not on my list of responsible actions.

What exactly is your way of dealing with such a situation?
I can't say for sure but I intend to protect my family and possessions
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 PM

Everyone claiming "that's why I carry insurance" to cover theft/damage to items answer me this.
Who is paying that deductible? Further, who will continue to pay for the increased premiums now that the insurance company needs to recover lost profits?
I've had my truck stolen in the past and had to eat the significant financial loss myself. I do not consider that acceptable. Garage has been broken into a couple times for small items, Jeep had a few small items removed including a really nice little knife i worked long crummy hours to justify purchasing. I think it's entirely ridiculous to continually pass the responsibility off on homeowners to remove valuables, lock everything up like Fort Knox with cameras and chains and bars and lights. Certain measures to reduce likelihood are acceptable but so is protecting your items in my opinion. There is simply no where near enough theft deterrence measures in place to make thieves think twice about their actions vs obtaining gainful employment and working towards things like the rest of us are expected to do in this civilized society.
As terrible as this is to say. I hope those advocating no interference while their items are lifted experience that very scenario and the fallout that occurs after so they have some first hand experience in discussing the matter.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Here you go.

Quote:
Cause I went fishing and it was at the top of google. Just back. Go look for a newer one. I will be happy to see it.
Unfortunately 2017 stats are not included yet.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../54842-eng.htm
Old 03-10-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
In said jerry can of gasoline put in a few cups of sugar.
My parents neighbor did that, filled his truck up, and then stole the truck.
Closed Thread