Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Hopefully down the road if I ever encounter a breakdown in a rural community I don’t encounter some of you trigger happy fellas. The second I step on your property some of you will probably just dump a clip in my chest because your quad could have been stolen.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Hopefully down the road if I ever encounter a breakdown in a rural community I don’t encounter some of you trigger happy fellas. The second I step on your property some of you will probably just dump a clip in my chest because your quad could have been stolen.
There's way more reasonable people in the world than this thread would lead you to believe.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully you're smart enough not to start helping yourself to their property when you break down and you should fare ok. If you had a clue as to what these people have been going through you might understand where they are coming from.

These people are tired of being victims the a justice system set up to protect criminals.

Read this to help you get a little insight into the reality outside the safety bubble.

http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colum...d-d088dea92c65
Old 03-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
There's way more reasonable people in the world than this thread would lead you to believe.
You should read this too.

http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colum...d-d088dea92c65
Old 03-10-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
they have an oilfield shack broken into on average every second or third day. Usual item stolen is a $165 battery they then sell to the junkyard for $20.
Aside from the battery it costs him over $200 to fix the door and lock they broke to get in to the battery. Figure the cost per year!! he figures it is meth heads and desperate people in central alberta since the down turn. they now treat as maintenance as insurance increase cost of these claims would be astronomical. You would wonder why a police trip to the scrape yards would not reveal who is doing this routinely each week by the people bringing in a lot of batteries.
unfortunately whether its batteries , copper wire , etc if you cant identify it , it becomes your word against theirs and the cops wont get involved . a local skid was arrested with a pile of wire but they could only charge him with theft from the only one site that he had a picture taken of him pulling out wire . the rest of the pile was obviously from all the other sites in the area that had been hit but nothing was done even though he was in possession of the wire. so once he loads this up and takes it to the scrap yard and even if they get his identification nothing will be done .
Old 03-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Read it. What's your point. They claim he was protecting his family. He wasn't. He was protecting his truck and now he's probably going to do some time in jail. I get that people are fed up. I sympathize with them. I live in the country. My neighbor got hit. He doesn't want to shoot guns at people and neither do I. Unless it is self defence it will never be justified.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
, you go knock on the door if you are broke down, you don't go into someone's vehicle or rummage through a persons garage. If you are that scared I'm sure you have a cell phone strapped to you, call someone. All the stories I've been hearing is thieves being caught in the act, not being innocent asking for help and get shot.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Read it. What's your point. They claim he was protecting his family. He wasn't. He was protecting his truck and now he's probably going to do some time in jail. I get that people are fed up. I sympathize with them. I live in the country. My neighbor got hit. He doesn't want to shoot guns at people and neither do I. Unless it is self defence it will never be justified.
Again, why are you fearing a criminal will get hurt or killed? Why?, what loss is it to society, there are plenty of good humans who cares if we lose a criminal
Old 03-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
200 people he doesn't know show up to support him expressing their frustration in what's going on in rural Alberta, you should take the blinders off and understand what's happening around you. Nutley hires 39 more cops (big whoop, it's not cops it's the justice system), Jason Kenny calling for more teeth in the justice system.

It's not just a few radical rednecks on this forum, it's a whole lot more than that, people fed up with being victims while criminals are getting away scott free.

I'm sure if you were to lose $15k-$20k you might have a bit better understanding. Do you realize that because of crime we are all paying higher premiums on our insurance? The insurance companies I'm sure would gladly parade around with signs supporting Eddie.

You say your neighbor doesn't want to shoot the scum that leaches off of people who earn their money, but did he tell you that or are you assuming that's how he feels? I'd like to hear how that conversation went.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
200 people he doesn't know show up to support him expressing their frustration in what's going on in rural Alberta, you should take the blinders off and understand what's happening around you. Nutley hires 39 more cops (big whoop, it's not cops it's the justice system), Jason Kenny calling for more teeth in the justice system.

It's not just a few radical rednecks on this forum, it's a whole lot more than that, people fed up with being victims while criminals are getting away scott free.

I'm sure if you were to lose $15k-$20k you might have a bit better understanding. Do you realize that because of crime we are all paying higher premiums on our insurance? The insurance companies I'm sure would gladly parade around with signs supporting Eddie.

You say your neighbor doesn't want to shoot the scum that leaches off of people who earn their money, but did he tell you that or are you assuming that's how he feels? I'd like to hear how that conversation went.
And there's a lot more people who couldn't show up but still support him, unfortunately they have jobs. Unlike our thieving friends..., and no thieving isn't a job, just letting some people know.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Let's look at your key point. Ever changing society.

Your premise is we need to adjust to crime.

Crime is falling...property crime is falling.

Seems more like tweaking current policy to reflect a move by some to exploit areas with sparse policing.
Help me out here...

Crime rate graphed out from 1962 to 2013.

Please point out ANY type of crime that records a lower level
at the end of the graph, 2013, as compaired to the beginning.

It would be less misleading saying that the crime rates
are trending downward at the end, but still higher than at
the beginning of that particular graph.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:47 PM

It's funny to me how the more liberal minded folk here always like to tell the story of:"I'd hate to break down and ask some of these AO guys for help because they will dump a clip in my chest." or "Some poor teenagers have had a few drinks and just want to take $20 in gas and you guys will want to blow his head off."

Here's how tings are more likely to go down though.... A land owner here's something outside and he looks out a window to see at least two grown men in his shop and they already have his $800 chainsaw, $500 Trimmer and some other stuff in a pile. He also notices that they have a truck parked nearby. It's dark out and that's all he can see. He knows from experience that the RCMP are a minimum of 30 minutes away and probably longer at night- and that's if they can even find his place. What is he supposed to do? What he wants to do is grab his shotgun or rifle and tell them to leave his stuff and leave. But what if they tell him to bugger off? What should he be able to do? Imagine if this has happened a few times over the years and he figures that he is out over $15,000. What should he be able to do??
Old 03-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
It's funny to me how the more liberal minded folk here always like to tell the story of:"I'd hate to break down and ask some of these AO guys for help because they will dump a clip in my chest." or "Some poor teenagers have had a few drinks and just want to take $20 in gas and you guys will want to blow his head off."

Here's how tings are more likely to go down though.... A land owner here's something outside and he looks out a window to see at least two grown men in his shop and they already have his $800 chainsaw, $500 Trimmer and some other stuff in a pile. He also notices that they have a truck parked nearby. It's dark out and that's all he can see. He knows from experience that the RCMP are a minimum of 30 minutes away and probably longer at night- and that's if they can even find his place. What is he supposed to do? What he wants to do is grab his shotgun or rifle and tell them to leave his stuff and leave. But what if they tell him to bugger off? What should he be able to do? Imagine if this has happened a few times over the years and he figures that he is out over $15,000. What should he be able to do??
Shine lights at them!!! Lol
Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Shine lights at them!!! Lol
That would be illegal, you would get charged with spotlighting.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe turn the stereo up loud and play Kenny Rogers "Coward Of The County"
Old 03-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your right, it wouldn't be "fair chase"
Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM

Friend of a friend had his cabin on his land broken into recently.

They apparently cut the antlers off all his mounts at the cabin, took his stoves and hides, and made off with 10 or so round bales.

Second time he has been robbed and this place is not readily accessible.

These are a couple of kids joy riding and looking for 20 litres of gas.

I feel horrible for him.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Read it. What's your point. They claim he was protecting his family. He wasn't.
There are various forms of protecting ones family than the literal sense. Maybe he needs his truck for work, to support said family, being the easy arguement.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Whats funny is the extreme shoot first mentality crowd here blasted tyler for saying he would approach those driving around his house for trying to say hello and now their ridiculing you saying you wont get shot... what is it? Is it ok to say hello because its clear from the posts its not...

I agree im a bit perplexed. How will i be recieved when im knocking on doors this hunting season. The trigger happy crowd wants to shoot anyone who steps on their property.

How do they know im not on drugs. How do they know im not drunk. They dont know my intent on being there. Isnt this the excuses everyone uses? After im shot dead will they use my hunting rifle in my truck as their excuse for shooting me just for stopping by to say hi???

He had a gun in his truck theyll say....
Old 03-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Whats funny is the extreme shoot first mentality crowd here blasted tyler for saying he would approach those driving around his house for trying to say hello and now their ridiculing you saying you wont get shot... what is it? Is it ok to say hello because its clear from the posts its not...

I agree im a bit perplexed. How will i be recieved when im knocking on doors this hunting season. The trigger happy crowd wants to shoot anyone who steps on their property.

How do they know im not on drugs. How do they know im not drunk. They dont know my intent on being there. Isnt this the excuses everyone uses? After im shot dead will they use my hunting rifle in my truck as their excuse for shooting me just for stopping by to say hi???

Exactly how I feel. I know there’s a real issue with rural crime and they are fed up with he lack of support but pullin the trigger on someone who hasn’t put your or your families health at risk is just as big of an issue as rural thefts.
I feel for the aboriginal hunters who have to go door knocking this summer for hunting permission.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Might be best if you just stay in the city.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Banned

tyler said it well before that there is no middle ground for the extremists on here.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Might be best if you just stay in the city.
and here i was thinking the solution for the rural folk living in fear is to move to the city. I couldnt imagine living my life in fear like so many of these rural folk seem to be.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Default OK?

Quote:
tyler said it well before that there is no middle ground for the extremists on here.
Yes and you have proven to us you are an extremist.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Yes and you have proven to us you are an extremist.
LOL im sure you would. Anyone who disagrees with shooting a thief as a solution must be crazy.

Again ill ask...

When im knocking on doors this year to hunt. Ill have guns in my truck. The landowner wont know my intent. They wont know im not high. They wont know im not drunk... ill be approaching their front doors to say hello.

Isnt this all the justification everyone here uses to shoot someone?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Maybe turn the stereo up loud and play Kenny Rogers "Coward Of The County"
Anyone play a banjo for rural defense??

I'm no crook but if I was sneaking around at night in the country and heard a banjo playing I would be gone in a hurry.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL im sure you would. Anyone who disagrees with shooting a thief as a solution must be crazy.

Again ill ask...

When im knocking on doors this year to hunt. Ill have guns in my truck. The landowner wont know my intent. They wont know im not high. They wont know im not drunk... ill be approaching their front doors to say hello.

Are you gonna start my quad first or rummage thru my truck? I would think that for the most part you’d be alright. I’d suggest use the thing between your ears.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:

It only takes an ounce of common sense to realize the difference between someone in need of help and someone up to no good. You sound foolish trying to insult everyone on here, insinuating they are "a trigger happy shoot first group".

It's obvious you're just trying to get under their skin, trying to stir the pot with your insinuations, trying to instigate a reaction then report their post, I think it's called trolling.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

Again ill ask...

Yes and they also say to shoot a 12 year old if he runs on their lawn chasing a bull frog
Old 03-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Again ill ask...

When asking permission don’t forget to mention you’re stance on rural crime. I’m sure hunting permission will be endless.
Closed Thread